Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Survival and self reliance - poll

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Deputydave, Aug 20, 2014.

1. I'm pretty much screwed. Not really prepared in any way, shape or form

0 vote(s)
  2. Somewhat prepared. I'd be okay for a few days to maybe a week or so

0 vote(s)
  3. Fairly well prepared. Maybe not forever but could go for many months, perhaps even several years

0 vote(s)
  4. I'm self reliant. Electricity is a luxury not a necessity. I could survive and thrive without it

0 vote(s)
  1. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Feb 20, 1999
    How do you rate your ability to survive? How do you rate your level of self reliance? Thought it would be interesting to put up a poll to see where folks are at. Here's the poll question:

If the electricity went out, for whatever reason (EMP, terrorist attack on the grid, space aliens attacked, zombies sucking the juice to stay undead or whatever but the electricity is gone and it's not looking like it's coming back) how would you fair in the long term?
  2. OldSchool64

Sep 5, 2010
    I'm somewhere between 'Somewhat prepared' & 'Fairly well prepared'

What I'm really lacking is food supplies, which (I know) should be a priority. Thanks for doing this thread, it's reminded me that I need to do better.

3. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 SONS OF LIBERTY

Apr 9, 2001
    Wilderness of Life
    If you can survive for a month you can for as long as your natural life allows. I've been without for several- months already (in the past) and my parents and Grandparents for several years. Not that big of deal, but it also depends on your place of residence for your success. The further from population the better the outcome. You'll also have to give up posting on Glock Talk.
  4. daishi

Sep 5, 2012
    Water wise, we're good for at least two weeks. That's what I want to work on more, but we have as much space to work with as I'd like. I'd have to procure it early and fast for something long term.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
  5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    If the electricity went out?:dunno:

Is that even a serious question? People live their entire lives without electricity, all over the world. I have known some here in America. A few generations back, everybody lived their entire life without electricity. What the %$#@ makes anybody think it's a necessity you can't live without?
  6. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 SONS OF LIBERTY

Apr 9, 2001
    Wilderness of Life
    I agree. It's not that big a deal. Outhouses and hand drawn water wells have been around for a long time. I however do believe...some even here could not deal with it.
  7. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    Depends what season. I'm pretty sure parts of Florida are unsuitable for human life 2 or 3 months out of the year. :faint:
  8. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    I agree that electricity isn't a basic human need for our species, but it (and running water, and central heat, and grocery store food, etc) have become such an integral part of many people's lives that they no longer know how to function without it. The incidents of people who die of CO poisoning or fire during power outages, who steal their neighbors' generators, and who can't figure out how to stay healthy when the tap water becomes non-potable, just to me demonstrates that while our modern infrastructure absolutely isn't a genuine 'necessity' for humans as a species, it has trans-generationally become such a crutch that without it, many humans simply don't know how to sustain their existence in the natural world. Stupid, but true. :dunno:
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  9. Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    The electricity going out has serious ramifications for your entire life.

In most suburban areas even, no electric means no water
    It would shut down all your comms for the most part
    No gas from the pump

There are a lot more implications than just no Netflix and AC…
  10. Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Really dislike the scale Dave;

1-24 hours
    1-3 days
    3 day to 1 week
    1-3 weeks
    1 month
    1-3 months
    3-6 months
    6 months to 1 year
  11. Deputydave

Feb 20, 1999
    You're welcome. One of the reasons for the thread/poll was to allow the individual a moment to consider their level of preparedness/skill set. Always room for improvement and sometimes a question like this brings a specific need to the surface.
  12. Deputydave

Feb 20, 1999
    See this for your answer:
    And there are some that absolutely rely on electricity for their survival. Medical needs come immediately to mind. And if one needs electricity for a specific reason (beyond comfort) then a thread like this may bring this need to the surface for consideration.

In the modern world, in 'civilized' countries, many have lost their self reliance roots and would be totally lost without electricity, cars, netflix and facebook. That's the sad fact. So another reason for the thread is for someone that isn't prepared and/or have any sort of skill set to take a frank look at it and correct it.
  13. Deputydave

Feb 20, 1999
  14. Speleothem

Mar 2, 2013
    Ascension Parish
    Plenty of tobacco, ammo and a couple of Life-Straws. :supergrin:
  15. wingryder

Oct 9, 2012
    28.420, -81.171
    Yes, this scale is much better. Your would put me about right here.
  16. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

I have to agree!

What about those who have the knowledge, skills & material preps to create their own power? Even if my primary preps were destroyed. ..even if my secondary preps were destroyed. ...tertiary & so on.

Electricity is the backbone of modern civilization. ...large cities cannot support a fraction of their population without processing & distribution. ....oil refineries. ..etc ....etc

But one day.....civilization may suddenly grind to a halt due to catastrophic grid damage (HEMP/CME).....& for a long term.
    Long enough for what remains of our urban cities to self-destruct into mass criminality, looting, arson & riots.

I fully realize the fragility of the grid..

..and am prepared to live long term without the grid..

..but that does not mean me & mine will not have power.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  17. ARP

Jan 29, 2012
    and work month to month to try and address those needs. If it happened tomorrow, well I'm screwed. I am gone for work 4 -5 days a week. I keep very little food on hand. I have a well, but no way to access w/o power to the pump, so I have a plan to store water that is partially in place now. I have the ability to cook w/o electricity or fire(propane and coleman stove). But have little to no food stored. I can heat my house with NG or kerosene. I am preparing a small basement living quarters to reduce the size of the space I need to heat in winter time or I could move to my living room. The big upside is it is just me that lives at my house besides my cat.

My preparation plan is 30 days w/o power.
  18. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    Were gtg,both places have highly sustainable set ups.'08.
  19. fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    I think there's a bit of a gap in your poll options.

I'd fall within an area best represented by "more than 7-10 days, but less than several months".

Now, if I had a bit of a warning of some less-than-general nature of instability possibly heading my way over the next several days, I could ramp up that level of preparedness very quickly & easily (and without attracting undue notice).

I also suspect lots of folks discount the effect of a medical emergency. The "it won't happen to me" type of thinking. One unexpected injury can really sideline and derail not only preparations, but the ability to take advantage of existing preparations.

Also, having been caught away from home during a particularly nasty bit of winter weather several years ago in the PNW, and being stranded in a rural home many miles from any supplies, help or medical/emergency assistance, I realized a couple of things.

Not everyone caught at the rural family residence was really prepared for such a situation.

My traveling survival supplies hadn't been exactly tweaked to take that specific situation into account, nor the lack of preparation on the part of other people with whom my wife and I were now stranded for several days. I simply hadn't thought my supplies might be needed by more than 2 people.

Nowadays I travel with a somewhat flexible cache of supplies that takes into account weather and locations, as well as the anticipated number of people with whom we may find ourselves isolated for a short-term emergency.

All the preparation done and available at "home" doesn't do much good if we're traveling away from home, either for days/weeks at a time, or even for the day or overnight. Not if we were to find ourselves stuck on the wrong side of the Coastal Mountains, if the highway & roads were shut down due to natural or made-made disaster.

So, I've tried to get family members where we frequently or occasionally visit to start upping some of the basic supplies that can make it easier for them (and us, if we're there) to better weather at least short term problems. Fortunately, children who now have children of their own seem to be more amenable to some prudent preparations for short term issues. ;)

I rather suspect that overall (discounting geographical influences), someone has been able to provide a solid and workable 30-day supply of everything needed to survive in a healthy manner (not just subsistence trying to stretch boating, camping or hiking supplies) is probably a rare individual.

Too much focus seems to occur on guns, ammunition, blades and "tactical gear", and not enough on practical clothing, medical supplies, water, warmth and food stuffs which will do more than provide mere subsistence (and keep you active and able to survive under conditions of physical & mental stress).
  20. gnepig

gnepig Remember

Oct 13, 2009
    I'd say without the influence of a zombie hoard or the stupid lazy neighbors/ friends/ family, we have about 6 to 8 months of food storage for 3 people, maybe more if supplemented with fish/ squirrel/ fowl and towards the end cat...

We have a couple of different ways of cooking said food.

We have a good supply of water and a catchment system. We are aware of the local ponds that are within walking distance and have the means to transport and make potable.

We have a pretty good collection of medical supplies/ first aid kits- but we only have the very basic skills to use such.

We are still pretty green with our renewable resources= still learning how to keep the bugs off and make our garden put out.

So yeah, we have a lot of work to do.