close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Survey: Iron sights

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by TangoFoxtrot, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    Fair enough :)

2. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    My duty rifle wears fixed irons, FSP w/ tritium insert and DD 1.5 in the rear. It also wear and Aimpoint Pro. I am very proficient with the irons, groups are a but tighter with the Aimpoint though. We are required to qualify with both irons and optics so no crutches allowed.

3. denn1911

denn1911

Oct 14, 2010
    New England
    The majority of my rifles do have AimPoint red dot sights. Of the two that have irons only, I shoot them well. I like to shoot with iron sights to keep my skills sharp and for the fun of it. There is no question that I would always go with an optic over irons only. I run my rifles hard and train from awkward positions, etc. The RDS helps with speed and precision while making those tough shots.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Why? Because it works.

5. Fordtough25

Fordtough25

Jan 25, 2011
    Indiana
    Iron's all the way, I shoot well with them and enjoy using them! Nothing wrong with optics but I shoot several military surplus rifles and ak's as well, all iron's there too. I wouldn't mind slapping an Acog on one of the AR's if they weren't so dang expensive! :wow:

6. These days, I primary only use irons on my target rifles, and older military guns that are more toys/range guns than anything else. M1's, M1A, 03', Mausers, Colt SP1, etc are all optics free and with their issue sights. Same goes for my Winchester lever guns, and a few other commercial bolt guns.

The advantage to the dot sights is instantly obvious when you use them, but everyone really should learn how to shoot using the iron sights.

As far as batteries going dead, or the optic failing, if you dont buy junk, its a lot less of an issue, and of course, the cowitnessed BUIS are right there if you should need them. Im still running Aimpoint M2's on most of my guns that have one, and have had them since they were the "current" sight of the type. They only have a 10000 hour battery life, and I dont even turn them off, just change the batteries once a year. Yhe newer models run much longer.

7. JW1178

JW1178

Jul 17, 2009
    I'm broke, that's why I just have irons. Trained with irons. I think that everyone should be able to shoot with irons.

I agree. If you can hit something at 500 yards with your irons, well, you have taken the pebble from the master's hand. A man size target looks like a dot at 500 yards. Now, you take someone who can do that, then give them optics, they can do amazing things. The optic as well as the quality of the optic will only increase their capabilities. Other way around where someone can only shoot well with an optic, the quality and capability of their optic will be the deciding factor on their performance. Take away the optic, they are lost.

8. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA

you got that right i have been wanting a 1-4 x optic for a while now...but too damn expensive.

9. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

I'm not quite ready for Armageddon yet, but when it comes, I'll use my Aimpoint. In the mean time, iron sights are more challenging and fun. I prefer a DD1.5 over a folding type because there are less moving parts. The carry handle is fine also.

[​IMG]

10. jbglock

jbglock

Aug 18, 2012
    What about a Nikon 1-4 x 20 M-223?

11. Hamrhed

Hamrhed AKs & Glocks

Feb 9, 2008
    Ky
    AK here, and while I have rds capability- I train with irons a bunch. A rds is an enhancement- not a skill-builder

12. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    The xs xti off set sights are great from the times i have used them with a magnified optic

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

13. scccdoc

scccdoc

Dec 28, 2011
    What distances are you guys talking about for iron vs. optics? DOC

14. shooter 14

shooter 14

Jun 13, 2010
    I have a scope on my 10/22 with iron sights under it I really like the set up for me a scope is a big bonus. I will admit that I need to train with irons more I wear glass's and find them difficult to use and hit accurately with past 40 yards or so I guess I'm just used to scopes but if I could I'd go with both. as it is I've got to lever guns a 500 20 and a 10/22 so I only have a scope on one and don't plan on putting scopes on the other ones.

15. shooter 14

shooter 14

Jun 13, 2010
    If I had a ar I would have maybe 4x scope not sure which with back up iron sights.

16. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    WHile I have Troy BUISs, and I have them sighted in at 50 yards, I hardly ever use them.

My Eotech is much more precise, and you can't beat the sight picture.

17. smokin762

smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Thank you. :wavey:

18. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    Both my ARs have optics (EOTech EXPS on the 16" and 4-16x60 Nikon on the 20"), but they also both have BUIS. No reason not to.