close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Survey: Iron sights

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by TangoFoxtrot, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Apr 15, 2011
    Dover NH
    yeah, but still same can be said with irons, i shoot better with a red dot than irons all around, long range needs a scope....or a red dot magnifier :cool:

Irons suck, but they always work so some backups are always wanted

2. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    ...until they die! ....Then you need the irons. No batteries in iron sights.

3. I have yet to have the batteries die in any of my Aimpoints, and I leave them on, 24/7/365. They get changed once a year.

You should absolutely know how to use iron sights, and if the gun is capable, should have a set of BUIS on it, but the red dots absolutely do blow the irons out of the water for most realistic shooting.

4. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Apr 15, 2011
    Dover NH
    im starting on irons only when i get it to get proficient, and while i save money for a red dot. Once i get a red dot, im keeping backup sights on there. If a dot fails you can flip up an iron or have a fied one cowitnessed. Theres always the irons dont break there always ready crowd, they always pretend not to notice you can have both.

5. scccdoc

scccdoc

Dec 28, 2011
    I put my Troy rear sights on and shot this weekend.The "long distance" aperture is a "bullhorn" (?). Do you sight in center or where the horns come together? I didn't have time to get to those.....................DOC

6. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Center the tip of the front post in the middle of the rear aperture. Only focus on the front site, your eye should work to naturally center that site post in the aperture

7. Leper

Leper

Dec 16, 2012
    I agree with this. On my duty rifle I do have and use the BUIS but the primary site is an EOTECH.

On my plinking gun (the one I'm teaching my son rifle with) it is the included Magpul sights only.

8. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    I am getting experience teaching people to shoot rifles IRL.

Good times.

Optics can offer many different advantages, depending on the one used. More leeway in eye position/cheek weld (or lack thereof), faster (no lining two thing up), usable even in very low light (red dot/holographic/illuminated reticle), magnification, light gathering, etc.

A good optic that matches your use for the gun is usually a good investment

9. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    Well Warp I guess teaching the use of irons is a good place to start.