close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Survey: Iron sights

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by TangoFoxtrot, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    For now, yes. Since I am only 34.
    I played with reddots on pistols a bit but never took to them.

2. jwreck

jwreck

Jul 27, 2012
    I've personally had problems with too much lube. Ft Sill Oklahoma. Red clay dried to a fine powder. Stick and clumps to any moisture. All kinds of havoc ensues.

3. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    I agree! In Iraq I used graphite powder on my BCG so the sand didn't stick to wet oil...but it made a mess at times.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  4. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    I grind my clay to the consistency of cat litter to avoid this issue.

5. Really?!?! I hear tell its all just made up internet lore! :supergrin:

This was all the rage in the early to mid 70's, and always seemed to work fine for me. This was my last "issue" can from around 1974. Still has a bit in it too.
    [​IMG]
    Its a bit messy as a liquid, but once it dries, it doesnt attract anything, and its a decent lube/protectant. Way better than powdered graphite.

I thought it was all but gone until a couple of years back, when I came across it again on the internet. These days, you can find it here....

http://www.drislide.com/

Seems to be the same stuff. If you dont want to run them "wet", this is a good choice.

6. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    I have used that for years, but would have never though to use it on a gun. It works well for keeping the working parts of my Tractor's snow blade working. Throttle cable too.

7. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    Thanks for the info. My days of playing in the sand are over so now I use wet lubes.

8. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA

I like them best for low light.

9. QNman

QNman resU deretsigeR Silver Member

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Troy is pricey, but excellent. Good choice.

10. Brian Brazier

Brian Brazier

Jan 20, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I have run almost every rear sight on the market at one time or another, I still have a Troy and DD A1.5 because they are my favorites. The KAC micro is nice, I like that they dont lock in the up position like the Troys, but they only have one aperture and I m not real big on elevation adjusments on my rear sight (unless its a carry handle). The Magpuls are the best value and take the most abuse, but I dont care for the aperture, I wish they were more like the Troy or A2 style. The LMT is great, nbut a little bulky compared to the A1.5, and expensive.

11. scccdoc

scccdoc

Dec 28, 2011
    I don't want to see a rear aperture (want a flip up version) on my M4 with an Aimpoit PRO, which one would you suggest , Thanks,DOC

12. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Personally, I am a fan of Troys.

13. Brian Brazier

Brian Brazier

Jan 20, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I would go with the Troy as well, overall I like them the best for flip ups, if Magpul used an A2 aperture they would get my vote, but I dont care for the one they use. The Aimpoint PRO has a riser that makes it a lower 1/3 cowitness so you wont be looking through the sight at the dot, so you could run a DD or any other fixed rear, without looking through the rear sight.

14. K. Foster

K. Foster

Feb 19, 2002
    Mo.

Troy if you want top shelf. However, if you are just going to use them in a back-up role, MBUIS’s are serviceable.

15. scccdoc

scccdoc

Dec 28, 2011
    To all three of you guys, just ordered the "folding Di-Optic aperture" in the diamond shape. I will shoot iron as often as red dot. Thanks guys............ DOC

16. I dont know that Id call Troy top shelf. I have a set that came on my M&P15, and they are not near as well made as the set of GG&G BUIS I have on my one Armalite.

The Troys I have, have a lot of play in them when they are deployed, and dont seem to be as precise as the GG&G's.

17. scccdoc

scccdoc

Dec 28, 2011
    Too late, ordered! Really like the idea of the diamond................ DOC

18. Brian Brazier

Brian Brazier

Jan 20, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I have never tired the GG&G but all my Troys have been solid with no play, I would contact Troy, they have great CS.