close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Survey: Iron sights

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by TangoFoxtrot, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    And, well, it's easier to simultaneously move when you are facing the target

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Some people prefer to haul ass from one cover to another instead of trying to walk and shoot at the same time.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    My training is about putting hits on targets while hiding behind covers and concealments instead of standing out in the open. I'm old school.

4. surf

surf

Jul 7, 2010
    From a long range, scoped bolt rifle or gas gun, we train to use a standing unsupported with a bladed stance as described previously. In reality, if we have time to blade and get in a good standing unsupported position, generally time, distance and often cover or concealment are on our side. But in reality, if I have all of that going for me, I will probably find some other type of supported position to fire from.

On the bladed squared up thing, squared up was not primarily developed around presentation of body armor but it was and advantage as opposed to the open side panel area. Just to add a few other bonuses other than what was mentioned....Better to manage recoil for speed and accuracy of follow up shots. Opens up your field of view, downrange and peripheral views providing a larger field of fire to not only the front but to both sides / left and right flank. Also square to the target if I get hit in one lung bad news. Bladed and I get hit in 2 lungs and the heart. Game over. Of course in real life dynamic things are constantly evolving so there really is no perfect situation.

5. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Some people understand that having cover available is not guaranteed.

Some people understand that in the real world you might be better off shooting back right now, while going for said cover, rather than waiting to return fire.

I am sorry to hear that you have never been trained in how to both shoot and move.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    That's why God invented the prone shooting positions.

It's called fire and maneuver. Not walking about and make yourself a pretty target.

I'm sorry to hear that you've never been trained on how to close with and destroy the enemy with shock and violence. It's an infantry thang. Or at least it used to be.

7. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    ...because receiving training in doing one thing automatically and necessarily means no training was ever received in doing anything else. :faint:

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    I don't know. You tell me. You seem to like that standing around getting shot at technique.

9. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    Prone works great as does the bladed, elbow on the hip when face to face.

I know I sometimes get going and momentarily swerve out of my lane but damn if this isn't itching for a 20 car pile-up.

fnfal, Shock and violence? I think you have the phrases shock and awe and violence of action mixed up.

10. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Get things mixed up and confused?

Nevar!

11. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    Shoot!!! while moveing ....to cover! The whole idea is to not let the BG have an easy target to aim at...period!

12. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    Shock and awe is your generation.

And I don't know about you but face-to-face, it'd be all about fixed bayonets and buttstrokes. Of course it's hard to do any of that when equipped with a cute lil thang that's 20" long from tip to tail.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  13. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    WOW did this thread go way off course! Okay fellas fight nice and tell me what fixed rear sight you recommend.

14. K. Foster

K. Foster

Feb 19, 2002
    Mo.
  15. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    Because that's super efficient. Right? Hold up, time out, let me affix this bayonet. I could simply shoot you but... well that would make to much sense.

DDs fixed rear.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  16. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles

I agree 100%. The main rule of gunfighting is don't get shot! If we lose focus on that main objective and make the occurance about the other guy, he may take us with him when we send him to the other side.

17. Matthew Courtney

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles

I like MBUS because once the fundamentals are mastered with irons, fundamentals should be transfered to using an optic.

18. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG Milspectacular

Aug 28, 2006
    Not Los Angeles.
    I just would like to say, the members here that have adopted the newer CQB training should really lay off forcing that system down the throats of members that didn't. Remember, some people here just like to shoot.

19. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    Nobody is forcing anything on anyone. The issue is some of the people who "learned" techniques that have been replaced try to pass that information off as relevant. Some know better because they are aware of newer more relevant techniques.

There is also the issue of those trying to pass off inept techniques based on what they heard arguing w/ those sharing what they know works based on first hand experience and indepth trainging.

Things change as developments are made. This is good. Becoming stagnant, bad. In the tradition of "Shock and Violence," Adapt and Overcome.

20. Matthew Courtney

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    Longstanding fundamental marksmanship techniques have not been replaced, nor have any new basic marksmanship techniques been adopted. All of the effective rifle marksmanship techniques discussed in this thread have been in both the US Army Basic Rifle Training program and the NRA Basic Rifle Course for over 100 years.

Some rifle handling techniques have changed to keep up with changes in how rifles are loaded. CBQ techniques have been used by our military since General Washington hand picked some men to take out the Hessians in the guard houses at Trenton. Free arm standing was not developed recently for CQB. It was developed for taking quick shots at game in heavily wooded areas and adapted for CQB over 200 years ago.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012