Glock Talk banner

Survey: Iron sights

50K views 370 replies 77 participants last post by  TangoFoxtrot 
#1 ·
Out of curiousity, how many folks use only Irons sights with no optics and why? Show your setup if possible.

See less See more
#2 ·
Iron sights do not need batteries.
Iron sights rarely, if ever, break or fail.
Iron sights are always there, not in a pack.

Colt SP1 carbine

Wife's plinker, a BCM lower, Spikes 22lr upper, is normally shot
without the Aimpoint installed.

#3 ·
I prefer the old carry handle iron sight set up. I'm not an operator nor do I run 'em hard like so many others do. As mentioned above no batteries to fail at the worst time. Just think KISS carbine. YMMV. tom.:cool:

#4 ·
Iron sights serve a purpose, but I see more and more folks who aren't taking their AR to the desert, not using them. Never hurts to have backup though. I just put an ACOG on my POF so I can't really use them due to the magnification. I might put a set on an angle offset mount but haven't decided yet.

#5 · (Edited)
Many of my rifles only have iron sights. Aimpoints are great, and every "home defense" rifle should have one. However, there is just something more fun about shooting irons.

#6 ·
I have the Daniel Defense A1.5 irons on my M&P15. Also a set of XS sights installed into them. I really like the setup. Solid, accurate and American made.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

Attachments

#8 ·
I only have 4 ARs:

2 with iron sights

and

Troy Di-Optics rear sights which IMO are a great invention, makes the front sight post much quicker and more sharp to me.

1 with Eotech 517 (w/BUIS)

1 with Accupoint 3x9

I agree iron sights have a strong appeal to them. They just seem "right" on the AR. :) But optics certainly have their place as well IMO.

#9 ·
I've got backup Irons on mine but you can't beat a decent optic for speed and ease of use. And there are optics that come pretty damn close to Irons such at ACOGs that require no batteries, no buttons to turn on, and have proven to actually stop bullets lol.

#10 · (Edited)
Shooting with irons is a lot of fun no question, and every AR owner should know how to hit the broad side of a barn using them.

I have back up iron sights on all my rifles, but all of them have a Aimpoint or magnified optic. You cannot beat the speed and pin point accuracy of red dots, and with Aimpoints failure is very very rare. Can't say that about most other brands of RDS, though.

#11 ·
Shooting with irons is a lot of fun no question, and every AR owner should know how to hit the broad side of a barn using them.

I have back up iron sights on all my rifles, but all of them have a Aimpoint or magnified optic. You cannot beat the speed and pin point accuracy of red dots, and with Aimpoints failure is very very rare. Can't say that about most other brands of RDS, though.
You jusy had to go there about Eotech huh? :tongueout:

I am just waiting for mine to explode when I turn it on :supergrin:

I (and I think a number of other folks) just prefer the larger reticle of the Eotech. These types of optics are designed to increase speed on target, my old eyes need the bigger one on the Eotech to maximize that speed.

#12 ·
I am more accurate with irons than with an EOtech. Plus, I dislike the EOtech anyway.

My duty rifle is equipped with an ACOG, which is about the nicest piece of glass I've ever had the pleasure of using, but even it has back up iron sights.

Only one of my personally owned weapons has anything but irons on it.

#15 ·
Depends on what I am doing. I do teach irons only courses and have done so for several years as a planned progression of training. IMO this produces higher quality shooters when teaching or reinforcing fundamentals via irons. This goes for newer shooters or even when taking experienced shooters and breaking them down to the basics and rebuilding them. So yes I have irons only set ups.

I will note that during intensive irons only courses, shooters are exposed to a multitude of alternate or improvised shooting positions and scenario's including low / no light etc, that it quickly becomes clearly obvious where irons can be a serious limiting factor in a shooters performance especially in critical use training, scenarios, etc, to include force on force. IMO anyone who uses this platform for potential critical use applications are greatly benefited by having training with and deploying a modern capable red dot / optic.

#16 ·
If you want to go irons only for a retro build or because you don’t want to spend the money on a quality optic, or if you just want irons, there’s nothing wrong with that. I’ve found that it is easier for people to learn irons first.
But the right optic is a superior sighting system. RDS’s are better in low light. At distance, magnification is always a plus.

#18 · (Edited)
I have irons on everything. I also have optics on "go to" rifles. There are a lot of guys who can shoot irons just as fast as optics, as long as it's from favorable shooting stances. Once you talk about shooting on the move, lying on your back or side, etc., that's where red dot optics shine, because you don't need a good cheek weld. Serious situations don't always give you the luxury of shooting from the classic positions. There's a reason that virtually everyone who goes into harm's way for a living uses optics (if available/affordable).

Yes, optics and batteries can and do fail. That's why I have irons and believe that one should be proficient with them. That said, a lot of guys go too far with this philosophy. In prepping for an "end of the world" scenario, you're talking about optics with a five-year battery life. If you're running and gunning a lot in post apocalyptic, nuclear winter, Mad Max land, chances are that battery's life span will exceed yours. If, after five years of post apocalyptic combat, your battery dies, either 1) take a spare out of storage space on your rifle (lots of stocks, VFG's, grips now have storage), or 2) find an extra one. AA batteries are plentiful, and even the CR123's would be around somewhere.

#19 ·
You jusy had to go there about Eotech huh? :tongueout:

I am just waiting for mine to explode when I turn it on :supergrin:

I (and I think a number of other folks) just prefer the larger reticle of the Eotech. These types of optics are designed to increase speed on target, my old eyes need the bigger one on the Eotech to maximize that speed.
EOTechs are good optics, and I too prefer the EOTech reticle over the Aimpoint dot for longer range shooting. The fact is, Aimpoints are more reliable, durable, and have a longer battery life. The new CR123 powered EOTechs are a huge improvement, though.

#20 ·
Ran irons exclusively till 2003 or so.

Used Aimpoints since, though I went with a stock M16A2 in a few instances here and there.

I'll take an Aimpoint first, but irons-only doesn't bother me too much if i'm not working in the dark.

#22 ·
My duty rifle wears fixed irons, FSP w/ tritium insert and DD 1.5 in the rear. It also wear and Aimpoint Pro. I am very proficient with the irons, groups are a but tighter with the Aimpoint though. We are required to qualify with both irons and optics so no crutches allowed.

#23 ·
The majority of my rifles do have AimPoint red dot sights. Of the two that have irons only, I shoot them well. I like to shoot with iron sights to keep my skills sharp and for the fun of it. There is no question that I would always go with an optic over irons only. I run my rifles hard and train from awkward positions, etc. The RDS helps with speed and precision while making those tough shots.

#25 ·
Iron's all the way, I shoot well with them and enjoy using them! Nothing wrong with optics but I shoot several military surplus rifles and ak's as well, all iron's there too. I wouldn't mind slapping an Acog on one of the AR's if they weren't so dang expensive! :wow:

#26 ·
These days, I primary only use irons on my target rifles, and older military guns that are more toys/range guns than anything else. M1's, M1A, 03', Mausers, Colt SP1, etc are all optics free and with their issue sights. Same goes for my Winchester lever guns, and a few other commercial bolt guns.

The advantage to the dot sights is instantly obvious when you use them, but everyone really should learn how to shoot using the iron sights.

As far as batteries going dead, or the optic failing, if you dont buy junk, its a lot less of an issue, and of course, the cowitnessed BUIS are right there if you should need them. Im still running Aimpoint M2's on most of my guns that have one, and have had them since they were the "current" sight of the type. They only have a 10000 hour battery life, and I dont even turn them off, just change the batteries once a year. Yhe newer models run much longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.