close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

surveillance system setup help??

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by kappax12, Apr 8, 2009.

1. kappax12

kappax12
    Expand Collapse

anyone know any idea on how to setup a surveillance system for business.

i want to hook up at least 6 camera to a desktop/laptop with a huge harddrive to record 24hrs daily.

i did search but all i see is camera to dvr system not to computer.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. GSD/G23

GSD/G23
    Expand Collapse

You will likely have to addd the correct card to your computer but that's about it. Depending on circumstances sometimes it's easier and cheaper to buy a stand alone system. Check this site out, they have been helpful in the past. There is alot of free & useful info. there.
    Good Luck

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/

3. fireguy129

fireguy129
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member 2008

Im scanning through for help on connecting my dvr system to my network. I think you should look for a network capable dvr, unless you can figure out how to hook up 6 cameras to your pc. I hooked up a 4 camera dvr to my network, and installed the software on my pc. Now I can't get my router to allow the connection.
    But back to your question, I think a decent dvr would be more helpful. Check out super circuits or ICRealtime.

4. MavsX

MavsX
    Expand Collapse
    The Dude Abides

port forwarding ?

5. Glockphobia

Glockphobia
    Expand Collapse
    NOT!

check out PELCO dvr's. we've got three of them at work. they come with the software to enable viewing on LAN and over the internet. they're not cheap - 4ch w/cd-r drive,usb drive and 250 gig HD was $1200.00. EDIT - link:http://www.pelco.com/Products/default.aspx?id=510

as far as the setup you have now, check your virus software/firewall settings to allow the program and the IP ADD for the dvr.

#5 Glockphobia, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  6. betyourlife

betyourlife
    Expand Collapse
    on a GLOCK

For IP cameras, you want to use an NVR or Network Video Recorder. Intellex and Pelco are good brands.

You could also get a hybrid DVR/NVR for more flexibility but also more money.

Also, just so you know, you can use twisted pair to tie an IP camera into a DVR if you like.

7. kappax12

kappax12
    Expand Collapse

i was trying to gather information to set up a camera system to a computer so i can utilize the hard drive which i thought was a cheaper route, i wasn't planning on doing remote view since i don't have internet connection, it just a small convenience store.

so i guess the most convenient and most bang is to go with a stand alone dvr system.
    now i don't know which one,

i need a min. of 4 camera or max of 6 with a big hard drive, 2 outside camera and 2 inside, prefer the system to be under $800. possible find? screen also?

thanks for the reply