close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Surgical Speed Shooting

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by theTactician, May 30, 2007.

1. Hi guys, based on your experience, how does a shooter develop surgical speed shooting? it's where, under stress like under imminent threat from a gunfighter or under fire, you can move fast and shoot accurately, almost surgically to stop the threat instantly?
    is there a training or drill (other than the mozambique drill) that you usually do in the range to develop these skills? besides regular practice and firing thousands upon thousands of rounds, is there a particular drill that you do to develop surgical speed shooting.
    can you share to us some of your drills and personal beliefs on training oneself to be fast and accurate.

2. TTPower

TTPower

Aug 2, 2006
    philippines
  3. yeah, im doing ipsc here in the u.s. but i still feel that there's still a lot of improvement needed. im thinkin of doing drills that would be pretty much be effective in real life scenarios. i recently became an IDPA member, though i havent tried it yet. i would've joined last may 27 but failed to do so due to personal reasons but i'll try to do it 4th sunday of this month coz here they do IDPA every 4th sunday of every month. There's this school of thought that says that there's no particular shooting competition, whether it be ipsc, idpa or uspsa or ppsa that would prepare you for real life, under stress combat. the targets in shooting competitions dont think and dont return fire. But to actually master the art of surgical speed shooting, to place shots accurately and fast to neutralize a threat is, i believe, the effective way of armed response.
    Is there any drill that can help you do just that or would you just rely on shooting competitions? By drills, i mean, you can do it privately in the comfort of your own gun range or in a public gun range.

4. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter Moderator

Nov 21, 2002
    Dr. B. Eye
    first, you must learn how to shoot accurately. if you know how to do this, its easy to crank up the speed.

everybody can pull the trigger as fast as they can. problem is, tumatama ba sa intended target or nag aararo ka ng lupa???

5. choi_tan2000

choi_tan2000 BoG # 55555

Mar 14, 2006
    pasig
    TTPower

nalito yung RO ah . hehe.. nice and safe shooting

choi

6. choi_tan2000

choi_tan2000 BoG # 55555

Mar 14, 2006
    pasig
    I agree with doc

it is how to shoot acurately always then the speed will come naturaly with us shooters.

most of all we will be enjoying more when shooting..

doc ala ba 2nd BOG funshoot? this time as a legitimate gun club na po di ba may SEC reg. na po tayo? congrats to all the proponents

thanks

choi

7. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

Nov 14, 2001
    Delta Quadrant
    A good place to start would be to read the book with the same title as your thread. It's authored by Andy Stanford. It teaches you the dynamics of stance, grip, aiming, movement, trigger control, and follow through. It heavily favors the Isosceles stance. Do the drills at the end of the book; first slowly, then gradually building up speed without sacrificing accuracy.

8. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines
    Wat's a surgically speedy shooter anyway? :)
    Concentrate on doing the basics well , yun lang yun

Parang how do u become a surgically speedy typist
    Same thing

9. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter Moderator

Nov 21, 2002
    Dr. B. Eye
    fafa A: kaya pala magaling ka sa ipsc, mabilis ka mag type! hahaha! pareho rin ba sa text???

saw your grasshopper, darryl, last weekend at armscor, ang galing galing na! meron isang stage nag full auto yung cz niya! hahaha! nagugulat rin pala?! hahaha!

10. maskytrading

maskytrading

Dec 20, 2006
    Philippines
    Yup, doing the basics/fundamentals well...plus practice...lots of practice and lastly, more practice. :)

11. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines

havent seen him sinc december, carbon copy nga daw putok needs a little fine tuning lang hehe
    My tendency to make mistakes
    Hopefully wag lang magsawa agad , laki pa ng potential a year and a half pa lang pumuputok yan
    He's w/ Dojo now

Class D typist lang ako , hanap nyo nga ako ng taga type :)

12. nrmcolt

nrmcolt What?

Sep 26, 2004
    Raccoon City
  13. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter Moderator

Nov 21, 2002
    Dr. B. Eye
    magaling pa rin mag break down ng stage si fafa dojo, kaso pag nakikita ako, gusto bentahan ako ng mga happy blue pills! hahaha!

14. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter Moderator

Nov 21, 2002
    Dr. B. Eye
    basta michael mann maganda shoot out scenes! favorite ko yung sa Heat robbery scene and yung Miami Vice trailer scene

15. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines
    Maganda kasama si Dojo sa practice ,ang sipag
    Kaya ako tumaba sa shooting dati, sa gutom kabubuhat ng props sa practice namin hehe

On topic na nga -

from memory lang to ,galing kay chuck taylor ( not the shoes, the legendary trainer )- Basic marksmanship kelangan ng -

sight picture
    sight alignment
    trigger control

if you can do all 3 well under pressure , then you're now a surgically speedy shooter
    I didnt even mention stance and grip kasi kahit the best ang ipsc isoscles , madami rin magaling sa weaver, iso , chapman, stressfire, castle style, Doug E. stile blah blah blah
    Now go forth and practice my son...

16. nrmcolt

nrmcolt What?

Sep 26, 2004
    Raccoon City
    :thumbsup: