close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Surefire X300 Ultra 500 lumen weapon light

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by arushus, Nov 7, 2012.

1. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Jul 22, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    I just got my Surefire x300 ultra from Bot.ach this afternoon. And man is this sucker bright! I dont even know how to explain how bright it is...Honestly, it may ALMOST be too bright for clearing rooms indoors, but outdoors, you could easily make out people from a hundred or more yards away, it is ridiculous!

I bought it for my Spike's Tactical M4, and for ten extra bucks it came with a mount that mounts to the front sight so that the light is sitting at 12 o'clock. It isnt too inconvenient to reach up and turn it on, but obviously a remote switch would be much better! For as much as surefire charges, remote switches should be thrown in...naturally you have to buy a new battery door as well. All in all, to get it set up for remote switch capabilities, it would cost more than the light cost initially. Bo.tach has an excellent price on them right now, IMO, $209 for the light, and $220 for the light plus front sight mount, and as usual free shipping. But, before you order, call and make sure they are in stock, I always do this, and it always makes for a trouble-free order. However, if you are backordering with them, I'll be praying for you...

Anyway, Im sure you are all already aware of the high quality surefire is known for, and they did not disappoint this time. I dont know how they measure lumens exactly, but it does seem to be a legitimate 500 lumens based on what Ive seen from other 150 & 200 lumen lights.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012

2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    500 is definitely overkill for indoor use, especially in typical homes with light-colored walls.

For a dedicated ranch gun, though, the extra light could definitely be useful.

3. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Most definitely need pics, see how you mounted it to your AR, how it works.

Sounds awesome.

4. D4RWlN

D4RWlN

Nov 5, 2005
    Southeastern, AL
    Did you use the mount with the built in QD socket? If so is it rotation limiting?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  5. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    Nice light, but 500 is a overkill for HD inside the house use unless you live in a mansion or a warehouse.

200 is about the sweet spot for CQB room to room clearing.

6. svtpwnz

svtpwnz

Nov 19, 2010
    SC
    +1 on pics of this on your weapon lighting up the outside.

7. I concur

8. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Jul 22, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    I'll post a pic asap, and I agree it is a bit much for indoors, which is why it isnt mounted on my G20sf, which is what I use when things go bump in the night. Im looking at getting maybe a TLR-4 for it.

9. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Jul 22, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
  10. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Jul 22, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    I tried taking a picture of it lighting up a double-wide trailer about a hundred yards away but my camera on my phone sucks, aand that's all I got...

I posted this same thread in the sights, optics, and lasers forum in the armory here, and somebody else posted some pics of it lighting up the outside.

11. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    Your scope mount is on backwards, and your scope is way too far to the rear! The eye bell of the scope should be flush with the end of the charging handle.

12. walkin' trails

walkin' trails

Apr 24, 2005
    I had an X200. The latch holding the back cover broke. I sent it back offering to pay for repairs. I really liked that light. I got a brand new X300. Surefire is great stuff!

13. D4RWlN

D4RWlN

Nov 5, 2005
    Southeastern, AL
    Looks like there is a pretty nice rifle buried underneath all that stuff.

14. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Jul 22, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    Well, that's how I had to mount it to get they eye relief right. I use my gun with the stock out as far as it will go, so I had to move the scope farther back to be able to use it...

15. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

Oct 14, 2002
    Lake Charles
    Nice light!

Do you have a large upper body and a short neck? Do you square up to the target in your usual shooting position? Those three things would combine to make the way your scope is mounted workable. If they do not apply, you may benefit by reading a rifle shooting book or taking a class. No offense is intended..... I just want everyone to be the best rifleman that they can be. What is fun today may be the only thing between Liberty and tyranny tomorrow.

16. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Jul 22, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    I appreciate the help, Ive been trying to learn all I can, Im new to rifle shooting...I just turned the mount around and re-installed it how it was supposed to be. It will work this way, It just feels a little awkward moving my head forward to see through the scope. Thanks again.

17. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Your nose should be right by the rear sight and charging handle. Collapse your stock if need be to keep from craning your neck out too car.