close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Supressed pistol for home defense

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by 3000fps, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Here is a video of a guy testing out various suppressed pistols inside his home to get a good idea of what it would sound like in the event you ever had to use one. I've seen this question posted a few times here before so I figured i'd share.

[ame]http://youtu.be/c2GchQ3orB0[/ame]

2. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman 'Murica!

Nov 20, 2009
    VA
    Interesting vid.....

I do hope his wife never found out about him shooting his pistols in the house......Lord knows, my wife about had a heart attack when she came home to me grilling in the kitchen with the back door open on a rainy day. :whistling: My wife would place said pistol where the sun doesn't shine if she found out I was shooting my pistol inside. :supergrin:

3. stricky

stricky Unknown to Me

Jul 17, 2006
    PA
    A suppressed 22? Why?

I know that if I am in a self defense situation I am really worried about ear protection.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    Maybe not from a suppressed .22LR but from my .40 or AR I sure am. These guys that are doing the forced breaking and entering sometimes are not alone.

And that blast from the gun in an enclosed hallway or bedroom is enough to lose all senses. But what do I know, why not try it for yourself.

:rofl:

5. Thx-1138

Thx-1138 NRA Member

Jul 27, 2007
    North Carolina
    'Cause? - Mal Reynolds

Fun. - Me.

6. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    That video is from a GT member. I believe he included the .22 just to show what it sounds like.

A suppressed handgun would be an excellent choice for HD.

7. ralph dhur

ralph dhur

Mar 1, 2012
    at last a reason to own one. in home use makes more sense that using for carry. just my opinion

8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    How could it not be?

9. IV Troop

IV Troop

Jun 19, 2004
    To be honest, I don't know a guy who has a .22 pistol with a can who hasn't shot inside his house..

I would say most have used their centerfires too.

10. I can appreciate the simplicity of it.
    You could drop an intruder inside your house, put him into the back of your truck and take him down the road, throw him in a ditch, and be back home and in bed, not ever waking the dog, the little lady, or the kids.
    All the while thinking, dang that was quiet, money well spent.

11. Gdirty5

Gdirty5

Apr 9, 2008
    Louisiana
    I have shot 22, 9mm, and 45 indoors suppressed. With the right suppressor and ammo it is fairly hearing safe. 9mm and 45 sounds about the same in loudness just different tones.

[​IMG]

12. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

Nov 18, 2003
    Houston
    I see no value.

If I have to shoot in the house, I want the person I am shooting at to know he or she has made a bad mistake, even if I miss.

13. 427

Nov 23, 2009
    KUMSC
    If you shoot and kill/wound someone in the house with a suppressed firearm, there's going to be some explaining to do. Not to mention how the media would spin it. How many would want to deal with that?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  14. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    I think that even with a suppressor - a 9MM or 45 ACP is still LOUD.

I don't think it is like the old James Bond movie where it just a PFFT sound.

:dunno:

When I was a kid I use to shoot rats in an old abandon farm house (owner knew didn't care)

Shooting a .22 rifle was not that bad inside - but a 12 gauge (no hearing protection) was REALLY REALLY LOUD. My ears rang for a few days -

15. KennyFSU

KennyFSU What to wear...

Mar 14, 2011
    Florida
    I'll just buy a Red Jacket suppressed Saiga 12 gauge lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. ralph dhur

ralph dhur

Mar 1, 2012
    Sounds like a plan. rofl.

17. Gdirty5

Gdirty5

Apr 9, 2008
    Louisiana

Yes it is loud, but not nearly as loud as it is normally. I pulled out my ear plug once while at an indoor range (just me and one other person) and we both stopped shooting for a min, but he ended up firing one more round and MAN was that LOUD. When I shoot suppressed, the closest thing I can think of that it sounds like is a nail gun that runs off compressed air. And I stood outside while my brother shot inside to "hear" what it sounds like from outside, and from outside it sounds like a stapler (click click)

18. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Jul 28, 2008
    Up a tree.
    No there wouldn't, not in a gun friendly state, since it's perfectly legal to have a suppressor on your gun for exactly this purpose. It would still just be a matter of whether it's a clean & justified shoot or not, same as always.

19. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    Yup!

As long as you don't have a trigger job on the gun.:tongueout: