Suppressor questions.

Discussion in 'GATE NFA/Class III' started by G17Gen4, Apr 25, 2011.

1. I have been told that I can legally manufacture a suppressor by filling out a form 1. Is this true? How exactly would this be done? I know how to manufacture one and have a machine shop so that isnt a problem, I just want to know the legality of it and the cost and paper work involved.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    MkIII Suppressor Questions General Firearms Forum Mar 28, 2013
    SBR and suppressor questions... GATE NFA/Class III May 3, 2012
    Suppressor questions GATE NFA/Class III Nov 16, 2011
    Suppressor Ownership - Estate Planning Questions GATE NFA/Class III Oct 21, 2011
    First Suppressor Questions Free Fire Zone Oct 2, 2011

3. Zak Smith

Zak Smith 3Gunner
    Millennium Member

You need to file an accurate Form 1 before and get it back approved before you start. You cannot make or retain "extra" parts. $200 tax, same as a Form 4.

4. What do you mean by extra parts? Also could a friend file a form 1 and then have me make it upon approval? And how long does a suppressor normally last on say a G21?

5. Zak Smith

Zak Smith 3Gunner
    Millennium Member

There is no law against using machines at a location you do not own; however, nobody other than the person named on the Form 1 can "possess" the silencer parts. You cannot end up with more parts than what make up the suppressor on the Form 1. If you need to make replacement parts, technically, you cannot do that either on a Form 1 suppressor, because any individual silencer part is legally considered a silencer (other than those integral to the silencer.. if that makes sense).

How long a suppressor lasts depends wholly on the design, engineering, build quality, and materials that go into it. A Glock 21 suppressor might last essentially forever, or it might get blown up in 5 rounds depending how it was made.

6. Ok that makes sense. What type of suppressor design would you recommend for a .45 acp and a 5.56 AR-15?

7. Zak Smith

Zak Smith 3Gunner
    Millennium Member

As a manufacturer it would be improper for me to go into specifically how to design a suppressor. Suffice to say, if you look at what's on the market, you can get an idea how to make one that works ok. There are many designs that work ok, and some that work very well.

8. I respect as a manufacturer why you cant tell me exactly how to design one. What brand would you suggest I look at that would be the best design to make something similar too? Also would I need to put taller sights on the pistol to be able to shoot it accurately?

#7 G17Gen4, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  9. Zak Smith

Zak Smith 3Gunner
    Millennium Member

Even making a Form 1 suppressor, you cannot infringe on patents.

However, there are a limited number of basic baffle designs. For pistol cans, the K type baffle is very common. For rifle cans, the M and K type baffles are both relatively common.