close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Suppressor Ownership - Estate Planning Questions

Discussion in 'GATE NFA/Class III' started by 654Boomer, Oct 21, 2011.

1. 654Boomer

654Boomer

Nov 6, 2004
    Greetings,

I am curious what happens to a suppressor(s)/NFA items when a person is deceased. Believe me, I am not trying to sound macabre, I am just curious-it is something I sincerely never thought about or have seen any questions asked about this topic on various forums. This could affect future purchases of NFA items for me.

For example, if a person owned an SBR, a pistol supressor, etc., and died, what happens to the item(s)? Would the spouse or an adult child have to apply for a tax stamp and receive BATF approval to keep the item(s)? Would the spouse just turn it in to a Class III dealer for sale?

I would think that something would have to be done to document the change in ownership so that the spouse/family is not liable for illegal possession or transfer of the item(s).

Would a trust make ownership any different?

2. Zak Smith

Zak Smith 3Gunner Millennium Member

Aug 25, 1999
    Fort Collins, CO, USA
    Form 5 transfer to whoever inherits it. Alternatively, goes with Trust if it's set up that way.

3. 654Boomer

654Boomer

Nov 6, 2004
    Greetings,

Thanks for the reply! :wavey:

That sounds a lot better than having to immediately sell the items. I had never heard of a Form 5 transfer.

4. Zak Smith

Zak Smith 3Gunner Millennium Member

Aug 25, 1999
    Fort Collins, CO, USA
    Form 5 is for tax-free transfers (other than SOT to SOT transfers), such as inheritance and transferring to government entities.