Glock Talk banner

Suppressor in carryon bag?

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jpa 
#1 ·
I'm going to be flying to GA in a few months to visit a friend and we were talking about going shooting. I'm going to bring a couple guns properly checked, but I was thinking of carrying my suppressor as well. I don't want the baggage monkeys stealing my suppressor, so can I put it in my carryon? I checked TSA's web site and all they say is no firearms or ammunition (this is neither). Essentially it's just a metal tube.

So am I good to go or what?

#2 ·
Silencers aren't listed explicitly anywhere in the TSA list of stuff that is prohibited, but I believe that is solely because they are too obscure. Two notes, though:

1. they prohibit gun parts. A silencer is arguably a gun part

2. silencers are technically guns under the law, IE, they require a 4473, etc.

In any case, it would be a really bad idea to try it in a carry on and then try to argue that "But it's not listed!"

#3 ·
Silencers aren't listed explicitly anywhere in the TSA list of stuff that is prohibited, but I believe that is solely because they are too obscure. Two notes, though:

1. they prohibit gun parts. A silencer is arguably a gun part

2. silencers are technically guns under the law, IE, they require a 4473, etc.

In any case, it would be a really bad idea to try it in a carry on and then try to argue that "But it's not listed!"
I've thought of doing just that, but allowing a whole lot of extra travel time before my flight to argue the point. I wonder if the TSA will issue legal opinions like the ATF does in letter form.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.