close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Suppressor in carryon bag?

Discussion in 'GATE NFA/Class III' started by jpa, Dec 13, 2010.

1. jpa

jpa CLM

May 28, 2001
    Las Vegas NV
    I'm going to be flying to GA in a few months to visit a friend and we were talking about going shooting. I'm going to bring a couple guns properly checked, but I was thinking of carrying my suppressor as well. I don't want the baggage monkeys stealing my suppressor, so can I put it in my carryon? I checked TSA's web site and all they say is no firearms or ammunition (this is neither). Essentially it's just a metal tube.

So am I good to go or what?

2. Zak Smith

Zak Smith 3Gunner Millennium Member

Aug 25, 1999
    Fort Collins, CO, USA
    Silencers aren't listed explicitly anywhere in the TSA list of stuff that is prohibited, but I believe that is solely because they are too obscure. Two notes, though:

1. they prohibit gun parts. A silencer is arguably a gun part

2. silencers are technically guns under the law, IE, they require a 4473, etc.

In any case, it would be a really bad idea to try it in a carry on and then try to argue that "But it's not listed!"

3. jpa

jpa CLM

May 28, 2001
    Las Vegas NV
    I've thought of doing just that, but allowing a whole lot of extra travel time before my flight to argue the point. I wonder if the TSA will issue legal opinions like the ATF does in letter form.