close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Suppressed pistol for home defense

Discussion in 'GATE NFA/Class III' started by Irelander, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Irelander

Irelander Glocker

Apr 17, 2006
    Seneca, PA
    I was thinking the other day that if I had to discharge my G17 defend myself in my home that my wife and I would probably lose a significant portion of our hearing. Small price to pay for protecting myself and my family, but nonetheless undesirable.

I have been considering a 9mm suppressor anyway mainly for plinking and suppressor education work. My question is: what is the legality of using a suppressor to defend oneself? I remember reading somewhere that carrying a suppressed pistol concealed is a NO-NO, but I can't remember where I read it. Is home defense any different?

2. Zak Smith

Zak Smith 3Gunner Millennium Member

Aug 25, 1999
    Fort Collins, CO, USA
    Check your state for particular laws, but generally there is no extra criminal penalty for using an NFA item in self defense. The civil side is another matter.

CCW depends on state.

Paul53 likes this.

3. Akahele

Akahele

Oct 9, 2015
    S. Texas
    For home use, I have a G23 with a osprey40, RMR and Light. I am very pleased.
    No way would I take that suppressor out for a concealed carry run. No one would believe that was all me in my pants. Wouldn't be able to draw quick enough anyway.
    Maybe if it was in the glove box, then ok. But that's not concealed carry anyway.

crockett and Paul53 like this.
  4. castor troy

castor troy

Feb 10, 2014
    I fired at some turd from inside my vehicle with a .45, with windows up and still have my hearing. It will be loud but you wont be deaf.

5. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

Nov 18, 2010
    SW Florida
    I don't believe a few rounds fired inside will cause serious harm to anyone's hearing.

If you want a suppressor, that's another matter. I'd enjoy one. The cost is no small consideration, but we can usually justify what we want.

Chances are you'll never need to shoot for home defense. Still, it would be good to have a suppressed handgun just for the fun of it.

6. BuckRogers2000

BuckRogers2000

Aug 13, 2014
    Logan, Utah
    I've been researching them lately. I disagree that firing inside your home/car won't damage your hearing.

Subsonic ammunition is something you may want to investigate. Making certain your gun will cycle with it is also important.

Here's some questions I asked a number of vendors:

crockett likes this.
  7. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

Nov 18, 2010
    SW Florida

Do cops use ear protection or a suppressed weapon each time they go into a dangerous situation in an enclosed area? It would be interesting to know.

Suppressors are cool; no doubt about that.

8. BuckRogers2000

BuckRogers2000

Aug 13, 2014
    Logan, Utah
    I'd like to know the number of disability claims of officers who have lost hearing, due to duty-related discharges.

crockett likes this.
  9. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Keep in mind if you have a silencer attached to the gun you MUST keep it all locked up, you can't just be leaving it laying around in a drawer or something. Most people do of course use some kind of quick access lock box but I just wanted to point that out.

10. Akahele

Akahele

Oct 9, 2015
    S. Texas
    I don't understand your comment. Are you implying a state, local or federal law? Or common sense? Are you referring to the gun, suppressor, or combination? Around children, while sleeping, ???? Always?
    Totally confusing.

72Cheyenne likes this.
  11. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    You were thinking incorrectly the other day. Go from there.

And by the other day, I mean the other day 5 years ago, guys.

12. Irelander

Irelander Glocker

Apr 17, 2006
    Seneca, PA
    Wow Rambo. That was so helpful to the discussion.

13. handloader109

handloader109

Oct 18, 2014
    Really? Why cr@p in his post? I Really hate folks who do this. It does nothing to advance any of our knowledge and Noone cares about your feed . oh and hearing loss is cumulative. A few rounds won't make you go deaf, but it would not help. As far as the comment on locked up, only you and anyone else on the trust, (assuming that you have one) can use the suppressor.

14. Akahele

Akahele

Oct 9, 2015
    S. Texas
    John Rambo,
    I (and most others) come to these forums to share experiences and knowledge of firearms.
    How disappointing to see you trolling and critisizing someone's honest input.
    Instead of smearing me for posting this, an apology to Irelander would go a long way to moving forward.

inspectagadget likes this.