close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Suppressed nineteen elevens?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Thorazine, Aug 2, 2010.

1. I am curious as to why it seems there is a lack of suppressed nineteen elevens?

Is this not a good platform to suppress?

If so for what reason?

It seems (generally):

Glock
    HK
    SIG

Are three of the top choices when it comes to pistols.

Does the nineteen eleven have a functionality issue when it comes to attaching a suppressor which prohibits this? Something to do with the barrel / recoil system?

Or it is just a preference?

2. fistpoint

fistpoint

Feb 20, 2010
    google video or youtube:

"suppressed 1911"...you can even spell it wrong and get tons of hits. They seem to work fine from the videos. If I had to guess I'd say capacity reasons are why people choose the others.

If I am going to spend that much extra money on a suppressor + tax stamp, it's going on something with more than 7-10 rounds. Just my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010

3. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

Dec 26, 2008
    East Houston
    I worked with a guy who was recruited to enter Cuba and supply weapons to counter Castro forces before the Bay of Pigs fiasco. He was issued silenced 1911's. As I recall from his description, the safety was used as a slide lock so it was a single shot pistol. I could be wrong on that. It was a LONG time ago!

Flash

4. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    Suppressed 1911's work well. The barrels don't cam up as much as many other designs, which is a good thing when trying to get a pistol to work with a suppressor. I think the reason you don't see as many is because it is more expensive to have a threaded 1911 barrel fitted than to buy a threaded drop in barrel for a Glock or HK. It works great though.

5. That golf balling looks awfully familiar....

6. id love one too.

i will agree with the above and assume its the cost of getting a barrel fit rather than the LWD drop in for my glock. the .45acp is generally a subsonic round also so it should work great.

a suppressed TRP would be a great pairing for my soon to be (hopefully) suppressed remington 700.

7. ctfireman

ctfireman

Feb 13, 2010
    Bridgeport, CT
    It would be cool. If i were to get one for one of my guns it would probably be my G19.

8. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    One of these will be in my future...... hopefully soon. Just dunno which 1911 to put it on.

[​IMG]

9. I'm considering on another nineteen eleven purchase (going to give them another try) in the future and after going suppressed I cannot shoot any other way. =)

Are there any nineteen eleven manufacturers which offer a model with factory threaded barrel?

10. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Never seen a 1911 like that. Where's the safety? :dunno:

11. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    I gotta say, a full rail Springfield Operator with an X400 (even though I don't like lasers), a ten round mag hanging out of it, a can, and a set of tall suppressor sights would be pure sex in a gun.

12. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    The can was what I was referring to. :cool: