close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Suppressed 9mm Glocks

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by RWBlue, Oct 2, 2010.

1. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    I like my suppressed G21. I want to suppress a 9mm Glock. The question is which one. G26, G19, G17?

What do you have?
    What works?
    What doesn't work?

2. r2kba

r2kba Relax

Jun 13, 2000
    South Texas
    As I posted in the other thread. G27 with 9mm barrel and gemtech MM9.

I'm still in the process of trying to get it to cycle on 147g. So far all the subsonic Ammo I've tried wont cycle it however I have not replaced the recoil spring yet. I'm betting this fixes the cycling problems however I Just have not ordered the 25$ spring kit out of lazyness and ammo prices still sucking-ass.

If I was going to BUY a 9mm, I would not use a glock if I were you. If I was though, and did not have one already I would buy a full frame 9mm glock, not the compact. They are difficult, much more so than the full size ones, to cycle. The only reason I did it was because I already had the gun, and the barrel was $150, vs a new gun at 300$+ and then still needing a barrel.

If I were you though, I would buy a Taurus or Beretta 92F 9mm fullsize and use that. Cycling is almost always imminent with no modification needed and no LID needed. I'm looking now at the used 92f and 92af market and will buy one myself at some point when funds permit. I may end up selling my G26 conversion barrel afterward.

[​IMG]

3. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Firefighter/EMT

May 17, 2005
    Land O lakes, FL
    What can do you plan on using?

Id go with a G19, the barrel length and lock time show great results when metered with most popular cans. They only 9mm cans I can recommend right now FOR A HANDGUN(not 3 lug attachement) are the silencercro osprey or AAC Tirant 9. Id shoot for the Osprey as the CS is worlds better than AAC but you have to make the descision. Have you joined the silencerresearch.com VIP member deal yet? You pay $30 a year and get access to multiple reviews on suppressors with video and metered results.

4. RED64CJ5

RED64CJ5

Jul 7, 2003
    I used a G22 w/a LWD 40-9 conversion barrel and a AWC Abraxas can on it.

Works like a champ w/ 147gr bullets. Anything less, jam-o-matic.

I am really tempted to get a G26 threaded barrel. I own several G26 and G17's.

Only reason I use the G22 is I got a good deal on it.

Quake has the same can -- he might have some info on it, too.

5. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

May 22, 2002
    I have a G-17 and M&P Pro that I play with. My can is an AAC Evo 9. I have K&M barrels in both guns.

I switched to Dawson sights as they are tall enough to see over the can.

For my STI 2011, I had to have Chuck Rogers make me some sights to see over the can.

6. Bravo 1

Bravo 1 Serious Infidel CLM

Sep 21, 2005
    Earth
    My Trident runs reliably on my Sig 226 and G 17.

I will add that the Sig has a factory threaded bbl while the G 17 has a LWB and it needed to be fired as a set for a couple hundred rounds before it would run correctly.

7. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    I haven't made that decision.

I am trying to work it backwards. If I find the gun that works, love the gun as just a gun, then find a suppressor.....

Right now I have 3 guns. They are all different. I think I would be better off with duplicates. (Two G26s and a G17 OR Two G19s and a G26 OR ....) Same accessories. Same feel....

Then again, maybe I already have something in mind.
    Small, quiet, take apart, able to be used with 9mm, 22LR, 300-221.
    I am thinking degrot.
    Then again, I sacrifice being able to shoot a box of ammo without doing a setup again. And I would need to have wipe material on hand.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  8. RED64CJ5

RED64CJ5

Jul 7, 2003
    The reasons you gave are why I like the Abraxas. It's not the quietest can, but it's about the smallest and lightest 9mm can you can find. Sure, it's not quiet when "Dry" but that's okay. It is so small that you don't need raised sights on a Glock. It also is compareable in size to my smallest 22 can.

9. Bravo 1

Sep 21, 2005
    Earth
    I will add this,,,,,

The trident9 is so good,, that it is as quiet dry as it is wet. I know of no other cans that I can say this about.

Okay, before the intranet experts pipe up, it is actually MAYBE 1-2 db quieter wet than it is dry.

I never shoot mine wet as it is a total waste of time.

My .45 cans, I shoot wet most of the time.

10. RED64CJ5

RED64CJ5

Jul 7, 2003
    I'm no expert, but my experience has been that most good cans are not that much quieter run wet.. The one I mentioned above actually is a big difference when wet, 10db perhaps. I think a lot has to do with it being small (that's one of it's design features/size.) It also does not need a Neilson device when run with a Glock, as most cans do.

11. rjrivero

rjrivero

Apr 23, 2009
    I will continue to follow this thread with interest. I recently put a Trident 9 on my dealers "Sold pending Form 4 shelf."

I currently have a Glock 35 with a 9mm conversion barrel, threaded (Just for such an occasion.) And I have a Beretta 92FS in stainless steel. I can have the barrel threaded for a whopping $65 by my Class 3 dealer. I figure I can scrape up the cash to do that before the can clears the .gov red tape.

I'll be interested to see how well each gun works with the can.

Please, continue this discussion, and hopefully I'll be able to contribute in a more substantial manner before too long!

12. Fireman1291

May 17, 2005
    Land O lakes, FL
    The guys that think the Trident9 is still the quietest dry 9mm can need to wake up.lol

Its a great can If I were to use it with 3lug but if its a thread on 9mm pistol can you seek then the Osprey or Tirant are the only cans worth looking at. The osprey has my vote for Silencercos CS and the fact the serial# is engraved in the booster housing. VERY SMART! This way if you have a catastrophic baffle strike and buldge the can and blow out baffles it wont matter. Just send it out to Silencero and they'll throw a new front end on it! Same deal if you fill it with lead.

I own both but I still recommend the osprey over the tirant.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  13. r2kba

r2kba Relax

Jun 13, 2000
    South Texas

And don't decide just because someone told you to buy something based on a list of DB reduction numbers. I would try to find someone who has a can that everyone here or elsewhere tells you sucks, and see for yourself, then go find one that everyone tells you is the best sometime. Decide for yourself. If you were in my area, I'd gladly let you shoot mine. I've made all my can purchase decisions without being a member of any paid subscription forums and have zero problems with any of them.

Very unlikely you'll notice or remember any difference. SWR,Gemtech,AAC to name JUST a few, all make cans that are pretty much the same in outright DB reduction. Putting wet substances into anything other than a .22 can is asking for un-necessary hassles. Cleaning/caked on material, excessive pressure and damage.

My MM9 in the photo is hearing safe with 147Grain ammo and is not bad even with 115gr compared to what it would be otherwise. The 9MM can market is huge. Look at the cans and see what one offers you the most versatility. Other than quality and product reputation, thats the reason I went with the MM9. I go from 9mm AR15 to pistol can real fast and the DB reduction numbers posted anywhere are rarely noticed unless side-by-side compared.

14. Bravo 1

Sep 21, 2005
    Earth
    :whistling:

Ummmm,, most pistol cans are DESIGNED to run wet, so pressures aren't a concern.

Unless you have a cheap, non-hard anodized aluminum can that is.

15. Bravo 1

Sep 21, 2005
    Earth

If you like that 1980's tech AWC product you will love a real can.

16. Bravo 1

Sep 21, 2005
    Earth
    Anybody who wants to see numbers,,they should check out NFATALK,,,,,dot com.

Real cans, owned by real people, shooting real weapons,who donate their time weapons,cans and ammo.

not cans sent "specifically to be tested" with ammo to boot. Like a certain "tester" does.

17. RED64CJ5

RED64CJ5

Jul 7, 2003
    So you're telling me there is a "real can" that is as small and effective for the size? I realize I could get a quieter can (no doubt about that). But finding one comparable in size/performance was nearly impossible.

18. r2kba

r2kba Relax

Jun 13, 2000
    South Texas

Nah what I'm saying is, messing with lubricants in a can is a pain in the ass and does not add significantly to the DB reduction. Not to mention a mess. A can IMO should be able to perform at it's best dry. If you WANT To squirt some goo in your can, thats up to you however It's not something I do.

19. Fireman1291

May 17, 2005
    Land O lakes, FL
    Like I said. The Osprey and TiRant blow the others away DRY and WET. As tested by independants like NFAtalk.org(free), silencerresearch.com($30), Silencerco(free, on youtube)

Why anyone would buy a can thats louder is beyond me, I dont care if Item A costs $300 more than Item B, If Item A is the quiestest can on the market. Ill just save up for another month. Patience people, buy the best or B*tch like the rest.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010