Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by walangkatapat, Aug 22, 2004.

1. walangkatapat

walangkatapat Millennium Member

Aug 28, 1999
    How about a list of supplements? What works? What doesn't? How long did you use them? Side affects? Are they a con?
  2. walangkatapat

Aug 28, 1999
    Don't some of you take supplements?

3. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Protein powder. I prefer Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey - affordable, tastes good, mixes with a spoon, excellent reputation for high quality and meeting the label claims. I would say that protein is the most important supplement. It is difficult for most weight trainers, especially people like powerlifters or competitive bodybuilders, to get sufficient protein from whole foods (1+ grams of protein per pound of bodyweight per day).

Creatine. I'm not real up on what brand is the best, but Max Muscle seems to work well. If you take creatine, it is important to hydrate - you will get cramps if you don't increase water intake.

I use Costco megapack vitamins. For my joints, I use glucosamine and MSM; they both work very well and are well-accepted.

When I work out, I drink a mix of glucose polymers (basically granulated corn starch - Max Muscle Carbo Max) and Gatorade to keep energy up, hydrate and replace electrolytes.

Back in the 80s and early 90s, I tried smilax (worthless), gamma oryzanyl (worthless) and took up to 40 or 50 dessicated liver tablets a day. I think the liver may have helped deliver some protein and there are studies indicating it increases the body's endurance, but the gas it gave me would have negated any benefits if I had a love life back then. (I didn't care if I stunk up the gym - I hate those chrome-plated fern bar places anyway.)

I have never taken steroids, growth hormone or prohormones. If you decide to, do your research and learn everything you can about them. A lot, if not all, of the prohormones are worthless. Steroids can have side effects and, if nothing else, it makes sense to know how to use them properly because they are expensive and there is a lot of bogus stuff out there. Also, when it comes to drugs, make sure the person giving the advice knows what they are talking about and isn't just spouting old wives' tales or anecdotes unsupported by facts.
  4. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Aug 1, 2003
    As far as supplements go, protein, creatine and multivitamins are pretty much staples. You won't go wrong just used these and having a good diet. The prohormones are pretty much a waste of money, most scientific studies that aren't bought by the supplement companies prove that point.
  5. walangkatapat

Aug 28, 1999
  6. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Aug 2, 1999
    In agreement with above, protein powder and a good multi-vitamin(additional magnesium may be helpful). As for others, save your money and use it for good food.
  7. KraziGlocker

KraziGlocker Family Guy

Dec 8, 2003
    Northern Va
    yea...those are supplements...but if youre lookin for some real strength and mass gaining supplements...ive tried a couple...i recently went thru a 5 week cycle of 1-ad and when i went off i took a 3 week cycle of 3-0x0(estrogen inhibiter/test regenerator) This stuff was absolutely crazy for is a prohormone and DOES have side effects...loss of libido and hunger were the two side effects that hit me the hardest...others have mentioned acne and hair loss....overall i gained about 12lbs (lost 3 of those since i been off a month now) and strength went extremely high...was incline benching 185 for 8 reps went to 205 for 8 reps...kept 90% of the strength gains...another good supplement i took in the past was NO@ from MRI combined with creatine..that was a great combo too and no stupid side me
  8. saint01

Apr 20, 2004
    being a competitor in "Ohio Natural Bodybuilding Federation" (ONBF), I can't personally speak about prohormones on my own experience. The ONBF and the INBF have them on their banned substances list. I can say that I have a number of friends that have used them, and unless you are trying to compete in a competition that is not natural (NPC is huge in cincinnati), then taking them is next to worthless. Yes, you will get good results, and they are not that expensive, BUT because they act in a similar fashion to steroids, there will be both side affects and loss of muscle at the end of the cycle (oh, and if you take them, you HAVE TO take an estrogen blocker at the end of the cycle, preferably starting the last 10 days...use Ergopharma's 6-OXO).

As far as other supplements, there are so many to list, that I would be typing for hours. I will list a few.

- creatine hit the market hard in 1994 with creatine monohydrate. Creatine is an amino acid and is produced in the body in the form of arginine, glycine, and methionine. You can find small amounts of creatine in lean beef, such as steak, but not enough to have a major impact.
    1. Creatine Monohydrate:
    - 100% pure. It is a white powder which is basically tasteless and odorless.
    - A good product, but will cause you to retain water and a great deal of it is wasted by your system because it cannot fully absorb it.

2. Creatine + Sugar:
    - A 1996 study showed that ingesting a carbohydrate solution with creatine promoted a 60 percent greater increase in total creatine concentrations in the muscle, compared with taking creatine alone/
    - This works much better than 100% straight creatine, but should be taken POST workout, as that is when your body is craving the carb's, and thus will take in more of the creatine mixed with the carbs.
    - examples: CellTech, Gatorade + 100% creatine monohydrate, EAS Betagen HP, EAS Phospogen (which is worthless)

3. Creatine + CVT (use this one!!!):
    - This is the newest method. It takes away all the need for sugar and carbs with the CVT.
    - Basically, the difference is the Tricreatine Malate in these. The TM, as we will call it, is a hydrosoluble stable organic creatine salt that basically is a better way of getting the creatine into your system than the more traditional way of lots of sugars and lots of carbs.
    - examples: San V12, Swole V2 (both are very good)

- there are so many different proteins on the market, that I would never even attempt to talk about them all. Thus, I will just post what I use.

ISS Research Whey Matrix + Syntrax Nectar:
    - I can't stand the taste of most protein. It tastes so chalky. The ISS is no different. It is cheap, 76 servings of 24 grms for $24.
    - I love the taste of Syntrax Nectar, but it is more expensive. It has 36 servings of 24grams for $24.
    - THUS, what I do is mix one scoop of each together. The taste is GREAT!!!! I would recommend this to anyone.
    - Nectar Flavors: Apple and Lemonaide are my favorite, but I have heard that they are all great.

I have used steroids in the past and can comment on them, but will wait to see if there is a need to. As of this point in my life, I do not use them and do not believe in them. We kicked a guy out of our lifting group for using.

Any other info that you would like, I would be more than happy to comment on, but I am certainly not the formost expert on them, but have learned quite a lot about lifting over the years.
  9. FreakyBig

FreakyBig Massive Member

Jul 18, 2003
    I wouldnt waste money on anything but multi-vitamins protein powder, MRPs, and protein bars. Save the $ for quality foods and the unmentioned supplements. I dont think this is the message board to be talking about them though.
  10. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Dec 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Other than vitamins and protein powders I don't waste my $ on anything else. I've done creatine, prohormones and glutamine at times in the past. Creatine seemed to make a difference for a while but when I cycled off it and then went back on a month later I didn't see any results.

The only thing that really made a difference was eating a lot of extra calories and protein. Just when I thought I had maxed out (in terms of size) I decided to avoid all supplements except protein powders and eat like crazy. I gained about 8 pounds(of mass, not fat)and my strength improved, above all of my previous gains.

Your body needs protein and calories if you want to grow. But I would suggest trying creatine, it does seem to work for a lot of people. Just don't be fooled when you gain 10 pounds in a week, cuz it's just your body retaining water. And drink plenty of extra water while taking creatine to avoid dehydration.
  11. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Aug 2, 1999

If I didn't know better I'd think you wre a Brooks Kubik-style dinosaur rather than a Westsider.:)

12. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

I don't train like Kubik, but would get along very well with him, Paul Kelso and Ken Leistner. Westside isn't exactly a chrome palace, either. Have you seen the pictures? Bare walls (the only photos on the walls are the late, great Matt Dimel - Westside's first 1,000 pound squatter - and Bill West - founder of the original Westside in California, back in the early 60s) blacked-out windows and nothing but functional strengthbuilding equipment. I am pretty intense and hardcore, but not sure if I could hang with Louie's crew. They are always taking it up one level.
  13. theHULK9281

theHULK9281 Gentle Giant

Feb 23, 2004
    Steelers Country
    As aforementioned, protein powder and a good multi-vit is all you really need. I would save the rest of your money on healthy/nutritious foods like....

lean turkey
    lean beef
    cottage cheese
    skim milk

brown rice
    kidney beans
    wheat bread
    bran cereals
    fibrous veggies

peanut butter

Supplements are only to aid in your goals. First and foremost, diet must be matter how may supps you take, if you have a poor diet, you will not see any benefits.

Also, PH do work and are safe if taken properly....The only real trouble you'll get with them is if you abuse them (like any drug). An anti-estrogen must be taken post cycle to recover natural test. Also, taking some extra precautions like some liver support pills (NAC, milk thistle, etc.) will be a benefit. That being said, PH and/or steroids are not for a novice. Do research before doing any such stuff.
  14. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

May 11, 2001
    Farmington, MI
    I just try to take in another 50 to 75 grams of protein on my workout days and keep my meals well rounded. I'll take one multivitamin a day as well.

Designer Whey, Syntrax Nectar, and Optimal Nutrition are my favorites. You'll get much more out of it if you have a small snack with your shake right after a workout. Your body needs carbs and sugars to allow the protein to work. Listen to HULK9281, the food you take in is the most important.

Creatine works fine for most, but it didn't synch up with my system very well so I now only use it to prevent hangovers on heavy drinking nights. :)

15. walangkatapat

Aug 28, 1999
  16. Glock13

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Good advice. Optimum is very good. I prefer the chocolate--it tastes pretty close to chocolate milk. Cheap and also easily accessible.
  17. walangkatapat

Aug 28, 1999
    What is it with brown rice over white rice?
  18. diamondmike

Jul 10, 2004
    Hebron Ohio
    I am 44 years old and have been pumping iron 6 hours a day 6 days a week for probably the last 30 years, I mean when I first started out I only did a half hour a day and after about 10 years got it up to 6 hours a day and still stay at 6 hours a day.

I have tried all the supplements from GNC etc. and found out by accident because I ran out of money for a week and could not afford them I started taking just Centrum Vitamins and did not find any drop in energy.

I know this sounds really gross to alot of people but I started eating raw meat and I noticed a whole lot more muscle development, I asked my doctor if it was ok to eat raw meat and he said as long as it is fresh.
    He said you are getting more muscle from eating raw meat because it is a safe way to take in steroids that is in the meat and if you cook it you burn up the steroids.

I also found out by drinking 4 raw eggs in the morning that I was getting not only plenty of protein but alot more energy.

I bet if you take your measurements today and start eating raw meat ( beef tenderloin ) in just one month and take your measurements you will find more muscle gain in the arm muscles and legs especially.
  19. Glock13

Jul 9, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You're kidding right?
  20. diamondmike

Jul 10, 2004
    Hebron Ohio
    I guess you are probably thinking about the part about the raw meat? I AM NOT KIDDING!

My dad was into body building and he followed and read alot of Jack Lalane books on body building, for anyone who does not know who Jack Lalane is he was and still is a famous body builder probably around his 80s or 90s anyway he swam across the english channel pulling a ship tied to his back.

In his books he said to eat raw meat so my dad did and I just followed.
    What I can not believe and this is gross that Jack Lalane would go to a slaughter house and buy the blood from the cattle and drink it by the glass full.

Raw meat is safe if you buy it from a butcher shop that you can trust, BUT NEVER! eat pork raw because you can get what is called a tape worm.

You start eating raw meat and I can promise you that you will see muscle gain, but you have to start out eating just a little at a time and just every once in awhile.
    I will sit down and eat a pound of raw beef tenderloin and actually enjoy the flavor and no it does not taste like blood.