close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Supertuck or MTAC?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Braden, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Braden

Braden
    Expand Collapse

I'm looking to replace my 9 year old Sidearmor and I'm considering one of the hybrid models mentioned above. The MTAC is "prettier" and offers more features and presumably faster delivery, but it's also about $20 more and since I live in Texas I'll have to pay tax as well. The Supertuck appears to have much more sturdy steel clips, which I like, but they're also not adjustable as best I can tell.

What say you GT? Crossbreed Supertuck or Comp-Tac MTAC? I really like Comp-Tac holsters, but after I pay for shipping and tax the MTAC is a $100 holster. Quite frankly I'm not sure it is a $100 holster. Thoughts?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Steel Head

Steel Head
    Expand Collapse
    Tactical Cat

To me the M-TAC is easily a $100 holster.
    Between the M-TAC and crossbreed you almost can't go wrong.
    My M-TAC is very comfy and durability is no problem either.

3. RYT 2BER

RYT 2BER
    Expand Collapse

Personally I prefer the crossbreed. I have an mtac and although the quality and finish are superior, I find the crossbreed more comfortable and my Mac tends to slide around whereas the CB is locked in place... just opinions though

4. Tommy Hanrahan

Tommy Hanrahan
    Expand Collapse

I like the MTAC and use it for a Walther P99 compact, but I have to ask why not the Comp-Tac Minotaur? It is a great buy at right around the same money and is more stable than the MTAC + you can buy the extra Kydex shell for $38 and a use your holster for a different gun.

5. Sharky7

Sharky7
    Expand Collapse
    Boomshakalaka

Crossbreed's leather is thinner, more flexible, and more comfortable in my opinion. I also prefer the metal clips. Downside is the clips will scratch up your belt a bit.

Mtac is nice because the kydex bodies can be changed out, save you some cash if you are going to have it for different guns.

Crossbreed really conformed more to my body, so I like that more.

6. TexasGlockin

TexasGlockin
    Expand Collapse

I've been carrying a Glock 26 or a Glock 17 in an MTAC holster every day for four years. I'm in and out of the car all day and it's the most comfortable holster I've ever used. They are also very well made!

7. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean
    Expand Collapse

I've got the following tuckable holsters:

Galco King Tuk
    Theisen horsehide
    Comp-Tac MTAC

The Galco came with metal clips, and I ordered kydex J-clips for the Theisen, and c-clips for the MTAC. All of them are great, and I know that you can change out the clips on the Theisen and MTAC, because I also ordered different ones for each.

The Galco can fit the compact/subcompact sizes, and I'm pretty sure that it will fit a full-size 17 or 22. I don't have one of those to test. Not yet, anyway.

Theisen's holster is pretty nice, because it's thin.

The MTAC is nice, because of the interchangeable bodies, and there's also a nice piece of leather on the back to cover up the screw parts/fasteners.

G27 in MTAC:
    [​IMG]

G30SF in Theisen:
    [​IMG]

G33 in King Tuk:
    [​IMG]

G23 in King Tuk:
    [​IMG]

8. Braden

Braden
    Expand Collapse

I think the MTAC is the Minotaur. Maybe you have the CTAC?

9. Braden

Braden
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for all of the input everyone. I think I'd prefer the Crossbreed because the clips seem more robust and I like the price better. I've also read here and in a couple other threads that it's thinner, which is better for concealment. I'm not too concerned with aesthetics since it's a concealed holster, but I do want quality and it seems like both offer that. The only thing keeping me in the "undecided" category is the 4-6 week lead time on the Supertuck.

The interchangeable body and clips that MTAC offers aren't a big deal to me. All of the guns I might carry would fit in the same holster body so the only way I'd need a new body is if I also purchased something that isn't a Glock 9mm or .40, which I have no plans to do anytime soon. On the plus side, however, I could probably have the MTAC in hand within a week (based on my past experience with Comp-Tac).

Still undecided. I think I'd prefer the Supertuck but I also don't want to wait 4-6 weeks.

10. E.McCune226

E.McCune226
    Expand Collapse

if your are looking for in my opinion as well as many other peoples opinion, the BEST and most comfortable kydex holster for your Glock, I would strongly recommend the "crossbreed supertuck holster"!!!

There are so many reviews out their on-line especially on youtube to back up my claim. You can order one directly from http://www.crossbreedholsters.com or maybe much quicker from http://www.midwayusa.com

Definitely take your time to look into this as it will be worth it!!!

[​IMG]

11. RMD

RMD
    Expand Collapse

Cant is adjustable on the CBST. If you'll sweat a lot whilst wearing, get the horsehide.

12. dreis454

dreis454
    Expand Collapse

6 Months go I would have said Supertuck but I came across a good deal on a M-TAC & will not use the CBST again.....

As a matter of fact I may even get one for my new LC9 that I just picked up although it is a 'Pocket 9'.

13. Braden

Braden
    Expand Collapse

If they were available on Midway I might buy one right now and cut out that 4-6 week lead time, but they're all out of stock and backordered so I'm guessing the lead time would be the same.

Since I can't make up my mind I'll probably just stick with my Sidearmor. It has served me well for a long time. It doesn't HAVE to be replaced. I was just considering a replacement for added comfort. If I find a good deal on a readily available Supertuck or MTAC I may go ahead and buy it, but I don't really want to pay $100+ for the MTAC and I don't want to wait 4-6 weeks for the Supertuck.

14. bklynpete

bklynpete
    Expand Collapse
    Viet Nam Vet

Wait for the next holiday, Comptac always has a sale. 4th of July, it was 20% off. I have an M-tac for my Kimber Pro Carry and G36 and my G26 fits in the G36 holster. I bought a Minataur for my PPS. I like the plastic clips (doesn't scratch a belt and for three years no issues). I also like the thinness of the clips, easier to position around belt loops. I tried the Galco King tuk and didn't like it as much as the M-tac. No adjustibilty, and the issues with the metal clips apply here also. As they say, you get what you pay for.
    Pete

15. dkf

dkf
    Expand Collapse

I was in the same quandry a few months ago and I bought the Galco King Tuk instead of either. For under $50 shipped from Middway I couldn't pass up the King Tuk. Overall I like it and I carry my G33 and G32 in it daily. (Will fit the G17,G22 and G31 also) The back is smooth so it can move around a little other than that I can't find any flaws with it. The thing that kept me away from the CBST was the cross on the clips, I don't care for it nor want the attention it may bring.

16. Braden

Braden
    Expand Collapse

If anything the cross on the clips would be a selling point for me, but that's not really a factor in my decision.

I'll keep an eye out for a sale on the MTAC. 20% would put it at the same price as the Supertuck. In that case I'd opt for the MTAC if for no other reason than delivery time.

Thanks for the info.

17. Straight_Shooter

Straight_Shooter
    Expand Collapse

I bought the Galco King Tuk because I didn't want the crosses on the clips and the king tuk is a lot cheaper. The overall quality seems really good and its really comfortable to wear. Only took about a week to get it (i hear crossbreeds take a month+) Got mine for for around $50 on Amazon.

18. zigzagg321

zigzagg321
    Expand Collapse
    clever quip

Another vote for the MTAC here.

19. slickt0mmy

slickt0mmy
    Expand Collapse

Another vote for MTAC.
    You can't really go wrong with either, in my opinion. However, I've always thought the CBST just looks a little "unfinished". Not that it matters what it looks like, really.
    What really tips the scales, for me, is the ability to switch out the kydex/adjust the tension. More customization=:supergrin:
    The polymer clips are not a problem. I can't see these things breaking, short of me purposefully bending them as far as I can.
    But again, either one will work well. Its more a matter of "Are the extra customization options worth a few extra bucks to you?"

20. BK63

BK63
    Expand Collapse

I just gotta wonder how many Supertuck vs MTAC threads are on here? :supergrin: