close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Supernova mag tube extension

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Shima, Mar 9, 2010.

1. blaster_54738

blaster_54738

Jul 24, 2007
    WI
    just ordered the nordic extension, mesa stock side sadle at mesa rail for an optic later. will let you know how they perform when they get here...and of course i'll post a new picture :supergrin:

2. DaveFJ80

DaveFJ80 Señor Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I've had the Nordic Components +2 mag extension on my SuperNova tactical for about 6 months now. I've put quite a few shells through it, stripped the gun and taken everything apart, and never any problems. $80 was a lot, but IMO it was worth it on a Benelli.

From what I've personally seen with the TacStar, I've seen one actually blow off the end of somebody's shotgun (it was a 870) on the range. And I've seen the TacStar mag extensions thread not match up too well with the Benelli SuperNova. I had this problem and so did my friend, so we returned them and went with Nordic. I didn't look into the Choate because at the time they were over $100.

3. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    Ok I am 100% sold on the Nordic extension now after watching this video.

This guy went with the cheaper TacStar extension on his Benelli SNT and it broke and popped off during firing! I am actually glad he posted this video. He talks funny and acts funny but the part where his mag extension fails is still good to learn from.

$79 doesnt seem like so much now if it will last a life time without failing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFQNXkxEt7g&feature=related

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  4. Shima

Shima

Jul 10, 2008
    Wow, watching that was almost painful. It does say that I want to get the Nordic and not the TacStar. $79 isn't so bad I guess. Somebody get one put on and give us a good report.

5. blaster_54738

blaster_54738

Jul 24, 2007
    WI
    i got one, i put it on...haven't had time to get to the range. playing with it though it seems to feed fine. i also like that it doesn't have the nordic logo on the tube...it's just all black. still waiting on my other parts that haven't even shipped yet :steamed: to post another picture

6. DaveFJ80

DaveFJ80 Señor Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I've had mine on for the past 6 months. Feeds very smooth and no issues yet. I just put another 100 rounds through it the other day (2 3/4" Wolf rifled slugs) and zero problems at all. Even taking it off to pull the barrell off is very easy. I like the locking mechanism as it's just like the stock Benelli cap, the way it tightens. You can hand tighten it and it's secured, just like the Benelli cap (and that's what you're supposed to do). I left my spring approx 14" past the tube, but getting everything compressed back in takes me seconds since the cap grabs onto the threads right away and doesn't hang up.

Here's a semi-decent close up pic I took about 5 months ago. No, it's not crooked or at an angle, just the crappy camera angle I took the picture at. I'll take some better pictures next week when I pick up my Glock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  7. blaster_54738

blaster_54738

Jul 24, 2007
    WI
    here's mine all finished. i put a few rounds through it and the extension worked perfectly. no problems

[​IMG]

8. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    I like that shell holder. Simple and rugged. I decided to pass on the Mesa due to stripped thread issues. I'll just keep some on the buttstock like yours.

9. blaster_54738

blaster_54738

Jul 24, 2007
    WI
    I passed on the shell holder rail combo and just went with the rail. Now just trying to figure out what optic to mount

10. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    Hey Shima, Blaster and Dave, (I wasnt sure if Frank has an extension yet? Sorry Frank) what extension matches up flush with the 18.5 inch SNT barrel? I am ordering one tonight and I just want to be 100% sure I get the right length. It looks like you guys have the +2 extension. Cactustactical shows a chart that says you can go with a +2 or a +3 on the 18.5 inch barrels???

Another thing I noticed is that my Mossberg 930 SPX has an 18.5" barrel but it holds 7+1 while my Benelli will only hold 6+1 if I get a flush mounted extension? Whats up with that? Shouldnt both 18.5" barrels hold the same capacity?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  11. Shima

Shima

Jul 10, 2008
    The +3 extension will work on the SNT, but you have to have a breacher choke added on to the end of your 18.5 inch barrel to make it a flush fit. Does your 930 SPX already have a breacher on the end of it?

12. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    My 930spx has a regular 18.5 inch cyl bore barrel with ghost ring sights and it holds 7+1 with a flush fitting mag ext.

So I was just wondering if I need to buy a +3 for my Benelli also? I question it because I hear folks say they have a +2 on their Benelli? Then I look at their gun and its got a flush mag ext? Why is there a difference in mag capacity between 2 18.5" barrels when they both have flush mounted mag extensions?

13. blaster_54738

blaster_54738

Jul 24, 2007
    WI
    +2 on mine and it's just short of the end of the barrel as you can see in the picture

14. Shima

Shima

Jul 10, 2008
    Yep. It looks like only the Nordic +2 will fit flush if you leave the barrel stock. I read a thread where somebody put a +3 on his SNT and he said it stuck out a little past the end of the barrel and the people at Nordic told him it would be fine, but the gasses and crap coming out the end may wear the finish of the extension. I think I'd stick with the +2.

15. SiNNiK

SiNNiK

Oct 27, 2008
    Austin, Tx.
    Here's mine with the Nordic +3 after about 20 rounds of various slugs and 60 rounds of buckshot. It does wear the finish. It's worth it to me however because not only can I load 7+1, they don't necessarily need to be 2.75" shells.

It has four 2.75" Hornady TAP 00 buckshot followed by three 3" Remington Magnum 000 buckshot shells for it's HD menu with an empty chamber.

(Just to see what kind of capacity I've got I actually just loaded five rounds of 3.5"00 buckshot and one round of 3" 000 buckshot in the magazine. With one in the chamber, that gives me six rounds of 3.5" and one 3") :)

[​IMG]

After the clean up.

[​IMG]

After I get the KA-1212BR installed it will still be subjected to muzzle blast and need to be cleaned, just not as much.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  16. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    Thanks guys, thats confirmation that I will go with a +2 ext from Nordic. I want a flush fit for sure on my SNT.

17. Elvis Lives

Elvis Lives

Feb 4, 2010

the nordic +3 with the ka-1212br sounds great actually. please post pics/vid and report if you can about the fit and how it affects the nordic, if at all.

which version of the ka is the right version the first one (.830 ID)?

also, how is this installed exactly (newb)?

last do you have a link for the nordic +3 you got and also one for that clamp from the barrel to the nordic?

what other mods to the supernova tac p/g?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  18. SiNNiK

SiNNiK

Oct 27, 2008
    Austin, Tx.
    I sure will, I can't believe I've waited so long but I keep finding other things I "need" so I keep putting the shotgun on the back burner.

Yeah.

I'm sending in the barrel to King Armory and have them do it, that it beyond my ability.

Sure.

Link

and

Link.

Nope, the only other change I made was to buy Nordic's teflon coated follower.

I like a more traditional feel to my shotguns so I opted for the Comfortech stock instead.

I also prefer rifle sights over ghost rings.

19. Elvis Lives

Elvis Lives

Feb 4, 2010
  20. SiNNiK

SiNNiK

Oct 27, 2008
    Austin, Tx.
    I think Mr Dave bought a magazine extension along with his new follower and when he cut his spring to fit, he cut it too short so the spring can't provide enough force to feed the last round reliably.

That's just my opinion though.

Also, this follower is hollow whereas his original might have been solid, allowing the spring to stretch further than it normally would, which of course would result in a reduction of force being exerted by the spring.

Permanent attachment.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010