close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Super Redhawk SS 7.5" barrel.......

Discussion in 'Ruger Club' started by Fire_Medic, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

May 19, 2008
    The Gunshine State
    I have been lusting over a wheel gun for quite some time now. My paperwork came back on my SBR and I have a second lightly used AR lower that I am considering selling/trading for a wheel gun.

I have always wanted an SP 101 DAO no hammer, and a 44 MAG full-size Ruger, eventually I will have both.

I have a gentleman wanting to work out a deal on his SS Super Redhawk with 7.5" barrel, he does not have box or paperwork, but gun looks to be in good condition, I am considering giving him my lower and some $$ to make the deal.

What say you guys?

Of all the guns I have EVER shot, one of my top 5 most memorable range trips was shooting a buddies full size Blackhawk in 44 Mag.

I also like the appeal of not having to chase brass around the range......

I would appreciate everyone's input.......

I am debating this trade or looking to sell or trade the lower for an SP 101 3" which I can also use for CCW.....

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Jan 26, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    I can't speak about the price you are paying, but I have a Redhawk with a 5 1/2 inch barrel. I love it. It is a wonderful gun. These things are built like tanks.

I also have an SP101. It's also built like a tank. Either one is a good choice. Both guns kick like a mule.

3. Fire_Medic

May 19, 2008
    The Gunshine State
    Call me crazy but........

I worked part time at a local shop for all of 2010 and I use to shoot the rental SP 101 all the time. I much preferred it to a 642 with 39+p ammo in it. I was also more accurate with the Ruger as well.

Anyhow, the guy backed out on the trade and I have a local deal pending on the lower. So soon it will be time to go shopping.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

4. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Jan 26, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Sorry your trade fell through. Something else will come along.
    I like the weight of the SP101. It is a nice handling gun.
    With both my Redhawk and my SP101, I am more accurate firing the guns double action. D.A. they both have a nice smooth pull, and then the hammer just drops.

5. smokin762

smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    Ohio
    I used to own a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 7.5” barrel in .44 magnum and I also owned a Ruger Redhawk with a 7.5” barrel in .44 magnum. I owned them both at the same time. I used both of them for hunting. I had a red dot on the Super Blackhawk and I would shoot the Redhawk with iron sights.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I don’t have huge hands, so I was a little more comfortable with the Super Blackhawk. I think both of them were very accurate. I used to practice hitting a 6” circle up to 75 yards. Both of them did just fine.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>

6. Fire_Medic

May 19, 2008
    The Gunshine State
    Well.....

I sold the lower today, and I found a 2 1/4" hammerless DAO SP 101 in 357 Magnum locally which ended up following me home. Put a 50 round box of American Eagle 158gr JSP though it. I need to work on my revolver grip, this is the first revolver that I own, my shots are off to the left and I know it's a combination of the heavy DA trigger and anticipating the recoil. Range time will correct both of those issues.

Now I need to get setup to reload 357 MAG and 38 Special so me and the wife can have fun shooting it. It was a blast to shoot (pun intended) and although the shots were off center to my left the groups were decent. I have a lot to improve to shoot it as accurately as my semi autos, but was pleased with the performance for the first time with it and with 357 magnum ammo.

I will be saving my pennies to send it out some day to Mossy Creek Guns for the bead blast, trigger work, big dot front sight, and new grips. I have big hands and the grips are definitely needed.

7. Pecos Bill

Pecos Bill

Aug 20, 2010
    West Michigan
    Congrats on your find. Sounds like a great gun. That .357 is a great round.

Have fun, be safe and have a good time!!

8. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Mar 1, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    I've owned a 9 1/2" Super Redhawk for many years. It wears a scope and I use it for deer and bear hunting. A totally awesome weapon!
    [​IMG]

I just picked up a basically brand new (less than 30 rounds) 7 1/2" Super Blackhawk in an even trade for a case of .45acp FMJ ammo. This one won't wear a scope.
    [​IMG]