close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Super Easy Cheap Upgrade for the Ruger MKIII

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by nathanours, Feb 5, 2013.

1. nathanours

nathanours
    Expand Collapse
    Texan

Hey everyone I know a good many of you out there own Ruger MKIIIs, and I thought some of you may be interested in how I vastly improved the trigger and function of my gun in my opinion. Before doing any of this the trigger was a little gritty and broke at about 6 lbs with a little bit of creep. It now breaks at 3.15 lbs and is very smooth with no creep. The magazines fall free much easier and disassembly is easier as well.

The first thing I did was to order a new hammer bushing that received great reviews on rimfire central. It takes the place of the old hammer bushing and allows you to get rid of the magazine disconnect and magazine disconnect spring. This allows the gun to fire with the magazine out of the gun, while improving the feel of the action, making the magazines easier to insert and remove, and making cleaning easier. This new bushing costs $12 with shipping.

http://www.tandemkross.com/cubecart/markiiibushing.html

Next I installed a new Volquartsen target sear. This part is a direct drop in replacement for the old sear and spring and greatly improves the feel of the trigger. It costs $28.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/sear-parts/sears/ruger-mark-ii-iii-target-sear-prod24641.aspx

Altogether for $40 the gun has a much better feel. These are both cheap and easy to replace parts (took me 1/2 hour total, and I've never taken apart the gun's frame before), that really make a nice difference. I thought some of you may be interested if you want to greatly improve the target performance of your pistols on a budget.

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 nathanours, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  2. nathanours

nathanours
    Expand Collapse
    Texan

Actually, could a mod please move this to the rimfire forum?

3. CigarandScotch

CigarandScotch
    Expand Collapse
    Fartacus

If you managed to do that in a half hour the first time, I am impressed. Let's just say it took me a little bit longer...and then I had a nice, strong drink.

:tequila:

4. Jason D

Jason D
    Expand Collapse
    INFRINGED
    Silver Member Millennium Member
    1. Project Mayhem

I gutted my gun.

Volquartsen trigger kit, bolt kit, and rear target sight.
    After some teething problems she runs like a top now. The only time I ever have a problem anymore with it, is when the ammo I shoot lacks priming compound.

5. Ruggles

Ruggles
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info, I just started a Mk III build. Just a Fastfire mounted on it so far but I intend to do more :)

Thanks.

6. WayneJessie

WayneJessie
    Expand Collapse

I love my MKII.

7. BenjiEDF

BenjiEDF
    Expand Collapse

I have a very similar MkIII I appreciate the info, I plan to do that later. Bookmarked the parts, cheers.

8. garya1961

garya1961
    Expand Collapse

I did the exact same mods to my MARK III.

9. FloorPoor

FloorPoor
    Expand Collapse

My bone stock MKII already has a GREAT trigger:embarassed:

10. nathanours

nathanours
    Expand Collapse
    Texan

The trigger on the MKIII is pretty good stock as well. A Volquartsen sear will make it smoother and lighter though. The sear I linked in the first post is for the MKII and the MKIII. The grind angle (I believe) on the contact surface of the sear gives it a lighter pull weight than the stock sear. It is also much more highly polished and smooth to make things less gritty (not that the triggers are very gritty to begin with). For $27 it's worth the price.

11. brisk21

brisk21
    Expand Collapse

My Mk3 trigger is awsome. Especially for a $350 gun. I am very happy with the gun. I thought about "upgrading" it with some trigger parts, but Im already happy with it.

12. tercel89

tercel89
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the information.

13. railfancwb

railfancwb
    Expand Collapse

Removing the magazine disconnect will create issues should you end up in court because someone was shot with the gun. Jus sayin...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. nathanours

nathanours
    Expand Collapse
    Texan

Ya but my cheap plinking .22 target pistol will never be used to shoot anyone if god forbid the need arises. I always have my CCW on me even when target shooting another gun. Lately it's been my Sig 938 which is completely in factory configuration.

15. garya1961

garya1961
    Expand Collapse

Do you have any proof of this? Any court case to back it up?

16. Jason D

Jason D
    Expand Collapse
    INFRINGED
    1. Project Mayhem

There are what, a zillion MK pistols out there without the magazine disco in it.

17. railfancwb

railfancwb
    Expand Collapse

I believe Mas has discussed the legal risks of such modifications from time to time. I don't have a link to a specific case.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

18. Jason D

Jason D
    Expand Collapse
    INFRINGED
    1. Project Mayhem

Legal risks are one thing.
    Actual legal proceedings against someone with a modified gun would be another.

I could hand a modified MKIII to a hundred people to shoot. I would imagine not one in that hundred would ever note the magazine disco having been removed unless they were intimately familiar with the workings of the pistol.

We all know it's not a good idea to carry a modified gun for protection, or using one at home. A .22 target pistol that would never be considered a defensive gun, or used as such. Just isn't a worry.

19. farmer-dave

farmer-dave
    Expand Collapse

I've been pretty happy with my markIII but always up for some improvement. Sounds like a reasonable price for some upgrades, might give it a try.

20. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E
    Expand Collapse

The only thing I will be shooting with my Modded MKIII target is a squirrel, an uppity racoon , or a stoopid country rat. So far I haven't been to court on any of those shootings ;-) For the two legged varmints, well I have some unmodded irons for them !!!
    I'm guessing If I had to use a .22 to put down a bad guy , I would be in such a tight spot where charges would not even be filed . That is about as last resort a place as I would ever want to be in. Better than no gun , but castle doctrine or not I'm getting out of that situation as fast as I can before pea shootin' someone.