close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sunday hunting shot down

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by HAWGLEG, May 15, 2002.

1. HAWGLEG

HAWGLEG

Apr 16, 2001
    Chas. WV
    West Virginia's primary election included a ballot initiative on Sunday hunting. And it was voted down in all 35 counties where the elections were held. I'm an outdoors writer who's been pulling for Sunday hunting for two decades and was crushed with the outcome of this election -- most particularly because the voters were allowed to decide that I can't even hunt on my own land.
    This was a grievous day for hunters, landowners and gun owners in WV.

2. Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf SHEEP DOG

Feb 7, 2001
    SW Michigan
    Sorry to hear that news. I wish you all the luck in future attempts to get rid of bad laws. Wow this means people who work 5 days a week can only hunt say 4 times during a 4 week season... that would suck. Good Luck
    Later
    Grey Wolf

3. jamieray

jamieray

Feb 14, 2002
    wi
    i wouldnt be able to take that im gald i have it good here in wisconsin

4. shrpshtr

shrpshtr

Jan 25, 2001
    Sumter, SC, USA
    sorry to hear it Hawg. i know that would make things tough on me because i usually hunt all day on Sundays. good luck in changing things in the future.

5. duncan

duncan Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Seattle
    What, you can't worship in the morning and go hunting for a nice Sunday supper in W VA?

Terrible.

Thought there were a good amount of hunters there!

6. smoney

smoney Top Guns Mod. Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Aug 8, 1999
    WV, USA
    well, there are other views to the working man, the flip side being that everyone and everything needs time to rest, times when you can go out and not worry about being shot while you go about your normal duties. a time free of gunshots.

yes, i am a hunter, used to be an avid hunter. 4 days in a 4 week season, hardly, deer season here encompases the week around thanksgiving and is basically a holiday in this area.

and you guessed it, i was am and will continue to be against sunday hunting.

7. PACKIN' PLASTIC

PACKIN' PLASTIC 4,500+ posts

Jul 18, 2001
    Cloud Nine
    That is very, very stupid.

PP

8. HAWGLEG

HAWGLEG

Apr 16, 2001
    Chas. WV
    I'm of the mindset that if you oppose Sunday hunting (inflcting your views on me, whatever they may be) you should sell your guns because you don't deserve to own them.

You can oppose Sunday hunting and go to church or do whatever in the world you want to do, without interfering with my recreation.

A vote against Sunday hunting in an election is a vote against the rights of a free individual to choose what he wants to do on Sunday. I choose to hunt.

9. smoney

Aug 8, 1999
    WV, USA
    well, i am sorry i don't meet the criteria to own guns in your eyes, glad you aren't king. thats why they call it an election, and a democracy, you vote and the majority rules.

guess the city life is different, you go out and hunt a week or 2 a year, when you live in the country those 2 weeks are generally don't let your children go out side, watch your pets/livestock closely and be wary of not wearing blaze orange for a time when you aren't hunting. because everyone is out shooting at anything that moves. i like to hunt, i think its a great sport and recreation. but everyone and everything needs a break, there are apparently more people with a mindset of such, than there are people who want to hunt. the vast majority of west virginians i know are hunters. so go figure they should all sell their guns then, and become mindless peasants.

10. HAWGLEG

HAWGLEG

Apr 16, 2001
    Chas. WV
    The election was a primary in Democrat-dominated WV. Had this issue been placed on a general election ballot (legislators were afraid to do that because Sunday hunting then might have remained alive) it might have been considered a fair election.

I own my own land and don't fancy having others tell me what I can or cannot do on it. Every hunter and gun owner everywhere should feel the same way.

11. smoney

Aug 8, 1999
    WV, USA
    well, goes to show i am a republican. it is easy to cry not fair and gripe about it.

sounds to me like you need a little country all by your lonesome, where laws don't apply to you. i drive a sports car and i certainly do NOT appreciate people telling me i can't drive faster than 25,35,40,45,55,65, or even 70. but i live in society and i have to obey the laws, created by a majority.

remember just because i disagree with you does not mean that i am incorrect, or "wrong" as you so elloquently put it. i just have a different view.

12. Tphipps

Tphipps

May 12, 2001
    I moved to WV 12 years ago and was surprised by the ban on Sunday hunting. From where I came from (out West) Sunday was always the best hunting day. I also was surprised by the vote, but there was a lot of politics involved and it was a bad piece of legislation. There should have been no distinction between public and private hunting. If anything, the Sunday hunting should have been on public land, not private, or on both equally. And I think there was a lot of legitimate fear on the part of private landowners that hunting would go on Sundays without any DNR enforcement of the private/public distinction.

Lets face it, in WV the DNR does not have the manpower to enforce the hunting and fishing laws. I have been doing both actively for 12 years and have yet to encounter a DNR agent. It was really pressure from the Farm Bureau and private landowners that defeated the bill. When it fails in all counties in a State that is made up almost entirely of gun owners, hunters, and fishermen, there had to be something wrong with the bill.

Tim

(by the way, I voted for Sunday hunting and I still love this State!)

13. HAWGLEG

HAWGLEG

Apr 16, 2001
    Chas. WV
    No one else would sit still for having voters decide how they participate in any recreational activities.
    So Smoney?? is it? Who owns a sports car? Why don't we have a vote on you parking your car on Sundays. How would you like that? I'm sure you wouldn't like being told to park it on Sundays.
    And that's what this issue was all about. I'm a landowner and don't need voters holding illegal elections to tell me what I can or can't do on my own land.
    As for there not being enough game wardens in WV, I would have to disagree. There are an adequate number (some would say more than enough), if only those in the field would do their jobs.
    Sunday hunting is a gun owners rights issue, a hunting issue and a landowners' rights issue that should never have been placed on a primary election ballot.
    It looks like time for litigation now -- time to fire up the lawyers and file a pile of lawsuits.

14. smoney

Aug 8, 1999
    WV, USA
    give someone a pen and they think they know it all and are the only opinion that matters, thats why i read very few gun magazines and take what i do read with a grain of salt.

i made a refrence to one totally different law and now you and your wounded journalistic ego are trying to take my words and twist them into something they aren't.

as for commenting that our DNR Law enforment officers aren't doing thier jobs, that is far from the case, look at the ratio of hunters to officers not to mention they are issued a handgun, and put in a rifle fight with many of thier suspects/perpetrators. Is anything enough for you?

if YOU believe the election was illegal, get a lawyer and file suit, if you aren't going to don't complain. Suddenly you lose and OH NO it was ILLEGAL!

and it is NOT a gun owners rights issue no matter how hard you TRY to make it one, they didn't say you can't shoot on sunday, can't carry a gun on sunday, just can't HUNT on sunday. it involves the use of a firearm, but does not erode the rights to own, or fire a gun.

15. im not sure how it works in mihigan now i would have to check the new rule book, but in certain counties in michigan hunting on private land on sundays was not allowed unless you owned the land. due to the fact that we used to have a program where you could purchase a book of land owners and farmers from the dnr and these land owners would let you hunt their property. well they didnt want to be bothered on sundays, so they instated this rule, and even now that the program is gone, the dnr has never changed the rule to my knowledge. but hunting on public land is allowed.

16. HAWGLEG

HAWGLEG

Apr 16, 2001
    Chas. WV
    Smoney,
    This is supposed to be a pro-hunting forum and it appears you've taken an anti-hunting stance here.
    As for crying foul after the election. You're wrong again. I've been writing about this issue for 20 years. And more than a year ago when elections came up in the State Legislature, I claimed then that voters don't have a right to tell a landowner what he can or can't do on his own land.
    And you're right. I'm workjing with a team of lawyers right now to start suing everyone involved with the issue. We're hoping the NRA may step in and help out.
    You're either pro-hunting or you aren't. In this case, it appears you aren't. I'd find another forum. Perhaps the PETA or Friends of Animals Web-Sites would better suit your needs.

17. smoney

Aug 8, 1999
    WV, USA
    you are very wrong i am pro hunting, it is a great recreation, and a very valuable asset in the population control aspect of wildlife managment. not to mention i the best turkey is wild turkey adn deer vennison is delicious and very healthy.

Your heartless, rude and ignorant slander is not appreciated, i suppose in this case you feel you speak for the forum in telling me to find another one.

18. HAWGLEG

HAWGLEG

Apr 16, 2001
    Chas. WV
    On issues that deal with guns and hunting, you're either all in or all out. By siding against hunting on Sunday, you're taking sides with all of the worst enemies of hunting and gun rights in America.
    Every animal rights group in the state pushed to kill Sunday hunting, along with every other group that anti-sportsman -- of which the WV Farm Bureau is the worst.
    If you're offended for taking the wrong side on an important issue like this one, then it sounds to me like you're a little thin-skinned.
    Again, you're either in or out on these issues. There is no middle ground any more.
    I once had an old turkey hunter (who wanted to ban rifles in spring gobbler season) say he didn't care if there were bans on assault style firearms, because he'd never own one.
    The problem with his philosophy was that by taking a stand against those guns, he was taking a stand against a lot of legitimate gun owners -- many of whom fought in a multitude of wars for their country to give him all the gun rights he so enjoys.
    Understand where this is going yet?
    Siding on the right side in these debates is somethign every one of us has to do, even if with disagree with an occasional issue. The reason we have to go that route is that enough resistance already exists out there on the other side.
    I shouldn't have to explain this to an NRA member. Unbelievable!!!

19. smoney

Aug 8, 1999
    WV, USA
    and many of us vote for differing reasons, respecting this is part of being an adult, and not verbally assaulting peole that you believe in. since sunday hunting HAS been against the law for many years (ever since i can remember) i don't see how it can be twisted into such a huge debate. as for the animal rights, other liberal nut case associations just jump on anything that sounds good.

i realize that we have to fight many battles as hunters, as gun owners, and as shooters. but i just don't see this being one of them, and i wish you the best of luck in your lawsuits, and may the just way prevail, that is why we have these avenues.

20. silenthunter

silenthunter

Mar 1, 2000
    Kentucky
    While reading this thread these things jump out. I couldn't help it I had to add my 1.5 cents :)

smoney
    "give someone a pen and they think they know it all and are the only opinion that matters"

Isn't this what your trying to do?

smoney
    ", look at the ratio of hunters to officers not to mention they are issued a handgun, and put in a rifle fight with many of thier suspects/perpetrators"

"well, there are other views to the working man, the flip side being that everyone and everything needs time to rest, times when you can go out and not worry about being shot while you go about your normal duties. a time free of gunshots. "

Why do you have this opinion of hunters? Are you sure your a hunter?

smoney
    "well, i am sorry i don't meet the criteria to own guns in your eyes, glad you aren't king. thats why they call it an election, and a democracy, you vote and the majority rules. "

demorcracy is mob rule. We have a Republic. Are you sure your a republican?

and yes I'm for sunday hunting. real hunters are not a threat to others just because there hunting.They make sure of there targets and backstops.