close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Summer carry

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by hongster, May 11, 2013.

1. hongster

hongster

Feb 27, 2007
    I EDC a G19 but with summer right around the corner I would like something smaller when wearing lighter clothing.
    I used to carry a LCP in a belly band but I want something in 9mm. I'm was thinking about some of the pocket pistols like the Kahr CM9, Sig P290 or the Beretta Nano. But those short grips makes it a little difficult to shoot with speed and accuracy. The single stack subcompacts like the Kahr CW9 and S&W Shield came into my mind. I could still use the belly band with them. But then the Glock G26 comes to mind. The only problem I have with the G26 is that short stubby grip and the width. Need some serious advice.

2. dwm2112

dwm2112

Mar 13, 2013
    Castle Rock, CO
    I just added a G27 which has the same short grip and have no problems managing it so I would the the G26 would be a good option for you.

3. G26 with GAP floorplate in an MTAC conceals easily under a t-shirt.

PM9 in a CTAC really conceals well under just a t-shirt.

PM9 also pocket carries nicely in an Aholster.

I don't have experience with a belly band.

4. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    When a Glock guy wants a slim single stack 9mm?
    Walther PPS is usually in that conversation.
    Kahr's CM9 has been getting great reviews too.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  5. Jeffrey Lebowski

Jeffrey Lebowski Not a golfer

Jan 27, 2013
    Colorado
  6. Audiman77

Audiman77

Jul 9, 2012
    Baltimore MD
    I carry a 27 and sometimes a xds when's it's warm. 23 is what I usually carry tho

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    More than a few here have reported shooting the G26 better than the bigger 9mm Glocks. Some have reported seeing this at various competitions and events.

8. Audiman77

Audiman77

Jul 9, 2012
    Baltimore MD
    This. I shoot my 27 as well as my duty 22 and my 23. The pinky thing isn't a big deal w practice so the 26 is a great idea. My 27 has been my duty gun for plain clothes work for a long time now

9. Glockgeezer

Glockgeezer

Nov 24, 2012
    Central Florida
    My G-26 is the best shooting 9mm I've ever shot. If this wasn't a fact, why would I keep buying other brands trying to find something better?

10. uc1twinbee

uc1twinbee

Nov 21, 2009
    Central Florida
    I have a G-26 and G-27, both are a pleasure to shoot. There is a slight difference in weight because 40 ammo weighs more than the 9 mm ammo.

I use the same holster for both.

11. Inebriated

Inebriated

Feb 20, 2012
    I carry a G19 a lot, but when I want comfort or maximum concealment, I carry my 26. Not a big difference in the size of the guns, but they are like night and day, for me.

I carry my 26 in a N82 Pro holster. VERY comfortable in the summer (more comfy than leather or kydex/plastic, imo), and just absolutely disappears with the 26.

Of course, you could get thinner holsters, and get better concealment, but for me, the thicker N82 works just fine, since I'm not having to work to hide the grip.

12. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

Jan 17, 2005
    Eagan, MN
    What is the problem with the 19? usually when people start looking at smaller guns for summer it's the thickness that is the issue, not the length of barrel or grip. The thickness would be the same both of the grip and the slide on the 26 compared to a 19 so I don't think you'd get what you wanted to out of switching.

If you really want to go smaller I'd go with either the Nano or Shield sitting in a good two attachment point holster, something like an MTAC, Supertuck or VMII.

13. Audiman77

Audiman77

Jul 9, 2012
    Baltimore MD
    Length of grip and width are the too main issues. Length of the slide usually isn't an issue. Some ppl have an issue concealing grip length. I'm 5'7 190 muscular and have issues concealing a 23 sometimes.

14. Simpleman71

Simpleman71

Jul 26, 2010
    Delaware
    I think the smith and wesson shield in 9mm is the best for summer carry. Not to small like an lcp and not thick and chunky like a g26. I carry an lcp when i run but would rather have atleast a 9mm for edc. Only problem is finding one. They are hard to get ahold of.

15. Audiman77

Audiman77

Jul 9, 2012
    Baltimore MD
    The shield is sweet. I've been carrying my Springfield xds a lot off duty lately. That things bad arse!

16. oldsoldier

oldsoldier

Jun 22, 2008
    MO
    Probably not what you're looking for but I carry a XD-S summer and winter. The pistol is easy to hide in a good IWB holster.

17. Audiman77

Audiman77

Jul 9, 2012
    Baltimore MD
    Love mine. Had it nickel boron'ed through fail zero.

18. hongster

hongster

Feb 27, 2007
    I think I'm leaning towards the Shield. I use to carry a M&P9C so I'm familiar with the platform. Gonna go to the LGS this week.

19. shockglock

shockglock

Apr 26, 2011
    Mid MO
    After I got my CCW I was very paranoid about printing with my g26. I bought and sold several guns until I ended up with a g26 and CM9 for my carry rotation. The CM9 was for summer and the 26 for winter. I have come to realize that the 26 can be carried most of the time, even with just a t-shirt as a cover. I saw alot of people post that they could carry a 26 with just a t-shirt, but I didn't believe them. Now my CM9 is just for deep concealment. I carry my 26 about 90% of the time now. I carry IWB using a Galco KingTuk.

20. Audiman77

Audiman77

Jul 9, 2012
    Baltimore MD
    People aren't usually staring at others wait bands so printing w a 26 shouldn't be an issue. I've done undercover work in Baltimore carrying my 27 iwb in a silent thunder and no ones ever seen it.