Glock Talk banner

Suggestions For New Software

13K views 54 replies 44 participants last post by  RichardB 
#1 ·
Hi folks. If you have any suggestions for features or functionality that will make the new system better, please share your thoughts here. If you simply want to post feedback, please do so in the feedback thread I opened. Thanks. Eric

#4 ·
I can't figure out how to edit a listing DON'T LIKE IT AT ALL
What part of that was a suggestion? I see a support issue and some feedback.

You can edit your ad by clicking on the 'Product Options' link, in the upper right corner of your ad. Eric

#5 · (Edited)
delete

#6 ·
(1)Allow a user to increase the number of ads he/she can view per page. (2)State/location to be listed and required on the front page
(3)Allow letters or numbers in the price box. This way if a person is combining ads they can write "see description", etc.
(4)Allow bumping every ??hrs
(5)Make it so we can simply copy and paste text into our new ad

#9 · (Edited)
There is a need to require state to post and have a sort by state to find out if you can do a FTF transfer or need an FFL. Much more useful than distance sort.

#10 · (Edited)
Eric it appears that the new system is being geared toward a paying system. I don't have a problem at all in paying for the ad, especially the extra features like highlighted ads. Since I sell two types of holsters, cowhides are $50 and horsehide's are $60, I would like to see the customer be able to pay for the $50 or the $60 and have the option to automatically re-list the ad with the comment section following the re-listed ad.

#11 ·
Guys, this thread is for SUGGESTIONS. I will open up a thread for your feedback of the system once it is finished. Until then, if you feel you must voice your thoughts on my efforts, PM me. This thread is not the place for those comments. Eric

#12 ·
Eric it appears that the new system is being geared toward a paying system. I don't have a problem at all in paying for the ad, especially the extra features like highlighted ads. Since I sell two types of holsters, cowhides are $50 and horsehide's are $60, I would like to see the customer be able to pay for the $50 or the $60 and have the option to automatically re-list the ad with the comment section following the re-listed ad.
I like the suggestion of being able to pay a little extra for features like highlighting your ad.

I also know a lot of people use sites like elitedealseeker.com to search the classifieds and the glocktalk ads no longer show up there. maybe there's a fix for that.

and you really need more moderators. I know when I've messaged the mods here now it takes forever to get an answer (if I get a response at all).

#13 ·
The classified ads system will always have a basic level that is free, but ye, I am planning for a time when we will have some premium features. In point of fact, we already do.

The classified ads system uses as much bandwidth and computing power as the top four non-classified ads forums combined. Bandwidth and computing power cost money. If people use resources that cost as money to make money, then it would be nice to recoup some of the money we are spending.

What I have in mind is primarily using the paid membership system levels to control certain features. As I mentioned, this is already happening. Paid members currently have access to highlighted ad listings, featured ad listings and bold ad listings. We will add other perks as well, to the various levels of piad membership.

Another area we are exploring is setting limits to the number of ads someone can have running concurrently, or maybe the number they can post each month, based on their user level. As I mentioned, basic site membership and basic use of the classified ads system will always be free. I haven't settled on any numbers yet, but we will pick numbers of ads someone can post at each level. We will probably ad business paid membership levels as well, which will allow a lot more ads posted and will ad many great new features and functions to the member. There will probably be standalone add-ons too, that people can purchase. One that comes to mind would be a featured listing option that would allow the ad to display in a rotation on the main site, or in other places throughout the site.

All of this is in the planning stages, for now. There is nothing that anyone can pay for now, other than getting paid memberships, which provide other benefits as well.

#14 · (Edited)
Eric thanks for the hard work you have put into this.

One thing I'd like to see is the parts & accessories section broken up into more specific categories, not having to search one section for such a wide variety of items. Coincidentally that's the same aspect of the old system I disliked.

This would be cool:

Handgun parts/accessories
Long gun parts/accessories
Optics, lasers, flashlights, mounts/accessories

Other than that, so far as a seller, I'm finding the system quick and efficient.

#15 ·
Here's a suggestion regarding the feedback system: Make it a requirement (add another text box) where the buyer/seller must enter the URL of the classified item for which they're leaving a feedback. This way it's a lot easier for people to see if the comment was on a, say, $70 holster or a $1,500 gun each of which highlights different factors involved. It also minimizes fraudulent/fake feedback & easier to spot them by the admin.

Thanks!

#16 ·
....and add a seperate column for it ? You can place the State field in the column where you currently have the Distance calculator since the body of the ad already has the Distance calculator populated....Just a suggestion.

New Classifieds does look great and think it is a good improvement - just will take some time to get used to.

Thanks!

#17 ·
Can you explain what the zipcode sort does? It appears random to me. Change the date to 02/25/11 form and reduce the column width to use for description

#22 ·
Please make seller's zip code a mandatory entry. When I search by zip code, it shows no zip code listed by every entry in firearm listing. Right now, I get every ad, regardless of the seller's area, and I only want to sort by sellers in my area.

You closed my other thread on this, apparently it exceeded the opinion honesty limit???

#23 ·
Please make seller's zip code a mandatory entry. When I search by zip code, it shows no zip code listed by every entry in firearm listing. Right now, I get every ad, regardless of the seller's area, and I only want to sort by sellers in my area.

You closed my other thread on this, apparently it exceeded the opinion honesty limit???
Look, you are a guest on my site and I am working my ass off on this project. Do you really want to poke me with a stick? The other thread got closed because it turned into another general *****fest. I have spoken my piece on this in at least five other posts and I'm not going to repeat myself. My focus right now is to make this system better and all I am interested in hearing right now is feedback that will help my efforts. I will give people plenty of time to share their general opinions on my efforts when I am done, OK?

As for the zip code issue, it is on my to-do list. Eric

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.