Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Suggestions for Defense Shotgun

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by J-DUBYA, Oct 21, 2009.

1. J-DUBYA

Apr 13, 2007
    Springfield, NE
    I've decided that my next purchase/project is going to be a combat/defense shotgun. I'm leaning towards a Remington 870 as the foundation. My planned upgrades are:

1. AR-style multiposition stock
    2. Pistol gripped fore stock
    3. Extended magazine tube
    4. Red-dpt sight or ghost ring rear sight coupled with luminjous front sight

I really don't know much if anything about shotguns. I'm open to any suggestions as to where I should acquire these things. If anyone thinks I'm leaving something important out or should not use one of the items I have listed, please let me know. All comments and advice is appreciated.
  2. glock2619

glock2619 Work in Progres

Jan 18, 2006
    Rapid City, SD
    Just buy the 870 and shoot the daylights out of it. Add what you'd like later. I'm also a fan of a smooth bore rifle sighted barrel if you've got to have sights. Nothing against ghost rings. You can add night sights to the factory rifle sights. If you wanted to keep it simple, just add a tritium dot onto a factory bead sight.

FOR ME, the stock furniture works pretty well. Doesn't mean that a pistol grip stock wouldn't work well for others. I'm just not a fan. I definitely don't like the feel of the pistol grip forends. But again, that's just me.

If you're buying new, just get a HD model with the 6+1 capacity. The factory extended tubes work pretty well. But, if you end up buying an extended tube, there are many that work well. I've had good luck with the Tac-star, Choate, Wilson, and factory.

If you find a good deal on an old neglected field model express, you can just buy an 18" barrel and extended tube. Then, you'd have something adequate for HD as well as shooting clays etc.

Just a few thoughts. It's personal preference on most of these things. Whatever works the best FOR YOU is the way to go. Buy the gun and go shooting. You'll figure out what you need.

3. LarryD1130

Aug 31, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I thinking of getting a tactical shotgun as well. I'm probably gonna get a Mossberg 590a1(9rd) with ghost ring sights and a speed feed stock.
  4. plain jane 870, forget the pistol grips but the extended tube is nice.
  5. orton89

Sep 9, 2009
    get a real mans gun....Mossberg 590....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^no point intended by the way
  6. J-DUBYA

Apr 13, 2007
    Springfield, NE
    Thanks for the replies. The reason I'm leaning towards the pistol grips is because when I get my tax returns back this year, I plan on buying an AK. I figured my guns should all have a similar feel to them. I know that sounds kind of trivial and odd, but I'm just kinda weird like that. Also, I've handled a Mossberg 590 at Cabellas with almost this exact set up and thought it felt pretty good. I would have bought that gun but I just don't like where the safety is positioned on Mossbergs, I would have to take my hand off of the grip to dissengage the safety.
  7. ZRT650

Sep 1, 2009
    The Bay Area
    870 ( if i were to do it over again i would have purchased a police version b/c its parkerized), surefire forend, wilson mag extension, mesa leo recoil reducing stock and mesa side-saddle. Thats basically the best pump combat shotgun one can build.
  8. J-DUBYA

Apr 13, 2007
    Springfield, NE
    Right on, thanks. Is there a website that I can find the mesa accessories? I've never heard of this brand.
  9. Puppy

Nov 12, 2006
    Add a weapon light & this is my favorite HD shotgun configuration, I like mine better than all of my other shotguns.
  10. mesteve2

Mar 2, 2001
  11. therealtwitch

Sep 11, 2009
    I have both a choate pistol grip foregrip and pistol grip. fired the gun a few times with it. but it wasn't for me. if your intrested pm me I'll sell them to ya cheap.
  12. PVolk

Oct 2, 2009
    Benelli M1.

If you look hard enough, you can find a pre-ban model with factory ghost rings, pistol grip, and a 7+1 capacity. I'm not sure about the stock, but I believe it may be interchangable. Regardless, it's a very fine shotgun and very much fun to shoot.
  13. Evela

Apr 11, 2009
    I own a Mossberg 410 HS (home security), holds 9 shells #4 buck. In addition to being quite effective, holding lots of rounds, it is light and very fast, std 18 inch. Front pistol grip and built in spreader standard.

Best of all anyone - wife, kids - can use it.
  14. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

Nov 8, 2007
    I have to think that a 12 gauage pump with a pistol grip would be REALLY uncomfortable to shoot.
  15. LarryD1130

Aug 31, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That's because they are set up for use with a stock not a pistol grip.
  16. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    Cabelas has on SALE the Remington 870 Tactical for $369 I believe. $100 off plus $30 rebate. Comes with everything you listed (No red-dot but GS sights) minus the stock, but the barrel is threaded for chokes and comes with a breacher choke. Add a Blackhawk/knoxx stock and your done.
  17. mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    I have a Maverick 88 (aka the cheap 500) just because I like the fire controls better. I dont like the spring loaded elevator shelf on the Remington. It bites my fingers sometimes when loading. Also the slide release feels goofy since its placed in front of the trigger guard on the Remington which forces the shooter to release and move his shooting grip. The Mossberg's is behind the trigger guard and more natural to activate with my middle finger when gripping the gun.

I am thinking about a tactical auto loader right now. The Mossberg 930 SPX. Voted 2009 Shotgun of the year. Its got ghost ring sights and an AR style hood up front. NICE! And cheaper than a Benelli or FNH auto loader.

Here is mine. Plain Jane ready for defense.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  18. I like your 500, but, haven't there been issues with the 930?

I looked at the 930 and the Remington Tactical 1100 before I got on the black rifle kick. I hear so many bad things about semi-autos as compared to pumps. :dunno:
  19. Regular Joe

Regular Joe

Jan 7, 2009
    It is just plain DUMB to buy a shotgun that can't retrofit with the Knoxx recoil absorbing stock. If not for that, I just plain could not fire more than about 5 of the 3" magnum loads that make a 12 ga. worth having. As it is, I have the 870 with the Knoxx stock, and 3" magnum is my standard, with slugs or buck.
    Why would anyone in his right mind build a defensive weapons system on a gun that will beat him to death?
  20. 2 3/4" loads are fine for self defense and most hunting. The only time I feel undergunned without 3" magnums is duck hunting. My duck gun don't have a knoxx stock and it runs all day long with 3" loads.