close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Suggest super light ar15 for injured shoulder.

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Judge Roy Bean, Jun 15, 2011.

1. The shoulder on my non-dominant arm (left) has been injured for some time now and supporting a rifle with that arm is bothersome, to say the least.:steamed:

I was hoping to get suggestions on really light ar15 models.

I have been looking at Bravo Company rifles. A 14.5 with a pinned flash hider to make it 16. I guess with the magpull handguard, even though I would much rather have a larue or DD handguard (true quad rail).

Help me think outside the box on this one guys, and have an awesome day.:wavey:

2. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    You can only go so light, but I think you want:

CF handguard (like a Clark Custom (6.5 oz.)
    14.5" pencil barrel with a pinned FH.
    Magpul MBUS polymer BUIS or an Aimpoint T1 Micro if you need an optic. No scope - too much added weight.
    Magpul MOE Buttstock.
    Plum Crazy C15 lower receiver.
    Alexander Arms Tactical Trigger (saves an ounce...it all counts.)

Forget the quad-rail. You'll just end up hanging stuff on it.

Oh yeah...a sling.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

3. Keyhole

Keyhole

Dec 28, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Check out the Katana by Red Jacket Firearms.

4. 1time

1time Lifetime Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Baltimore, Md
    Plum crazy lower with a Bravo Company lightweight upper. I have a BCM LW 16" upper on a plum crazy lower and an Aimpoint micro and flashlight. Weighs 6.5 lbs. Using the 14.5 " with a pinned flash hider will probably save a few ounces.

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    There are WAY better carbine with better pricing than that!
    $1850? $1925 with a MagPul stock?

Are they flippin nuts?

6. Thanks for the replies yall. I'm gonna take a look at the plum crazies now.

Yeah 1850, is a bit out of budget.

Just went to plum crazy's web site. Fully built lower for 100 bones. Excellent. Any of yall have one of these? Pics?

7. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    Someone's still asleep.
    --
    BCM or Spikes LW upper on a CAV Arms lower (if you can find one).

8. A heavier stock, while adding weight to the rifle, may change the balance enough to put more weight on your "good" arm and take some weight off the support hand.

Just a thought.

9. Looked at em, and I don't have the tools or experience to install a free float. That does seem to be a good idea though (carbon fiber).

pencil barrel = BCM's light weight upper?

I would really like to talk to the folks at BCM, but they will not answer their phone.

E-mails only? Seem's a little iffy, but have heard nothing but good on their guns and service.

10. Good suggestion, I have noticed shooting my buddies Colt fixed stock is much more comfortable.

11. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    It's worth having the tool to install handguards. Experience isn't really necessary.

I believe the BCM lightweight uses a Govt. Profile M4 16" barrel (uses a .750 gas block,) which is a bit heavier than the lightweight 14.5" pencil profile (uses a .625 gas block.)

Here's a link to a barrel maker.

12. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    I hope that through lifting and other excercises, you can heal your shoulder and shoot whatever you want. How bad is the shoulder?

13. K. Foster

K. Foster

Feb 19, 2002
    Mo.
    Agreed! The Katana should be at most an $800 gun.
    I suggest a BCM lightweight 14.5 with pinned flash hider. Plum Crazy lowers get mixed reviews, I would do some research before buying one.

14. Most likely a blown rotator cuff. No insurance and work at a gym.

Hurt it repping out 225 on Incline. Safe to say, no longer lift chest or shoulders heavy.

Probably should pony up the money for my shoulder before the rifle, but what fun is that?

Would just like to thank all of yall for help and even the good wishes. Good folks round here.

15. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  16. I had a BCM 14.5" lightweight with perm attached flashhider, it was nice and light, accurate and fun. I had the VLTOR stock on it and MOE handguards, I like it so much I ordered another one this time it will be basic standard handguards and stock.

17. BBJones

BBJones

Mar 2, 2010
    My DD LW with a VTAC/Troy TRX Extreme (lighter than DD Lite) is extremely light and handy. You can't go wrong with BCM or DD LW.

Don't know if you want to wait on a custom upper but smartgunner has great prices on factory direct DD uppers. Just be prepared to wait. http://www.smartgunner.com