close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Suggest a sling, (not sure what I need)

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by catalyst686, Jan 20, 2011.

1. catalyst686

catalyst686
    Expand Collapse

I want a sling that would mainly be used at the range. I'm really unfamiliar with slings so help me out! I've checked a few out and like the "multi-mission" slings, it seems like they would serve their purpose well. I obviously want something sturdy that isn't going to break. I don't know if there is a correct term for this, but I think it would be a good idea to have a sling that can be used to carry a weapon on your shoulder without having to stabilize it often with your hands. Like I said before, I have no knowledge in this area. Thanks!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. catalyst686

catalyst686
    Expand Collapse

3. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701
    Expand Collapse
    Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

#3 NeverMore1701, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  4. TedG

TedG
    Expand Collapse
    Infidel USA

I like the Israeli Defense Force sling.

[​IMG]

I had this made for survival scenario. There's over 150' of 550 paracord.

[​IMG]

#4 TedG, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  5. mikekjg

mikekjg
    Expand Collapse

I run the padded VCAS from BlueForceFear. Super comfortable and can be adjusted on the fly.

6. trlcavscout

trlcavscout
    Expand Collapse

After trying several I prefer the Magpul MS2 sling with ASAP plate. They adjust quickly, quick transition from strong to weak side, I use it for training, coyote hunting and everything in between. But its such a personal preference thing you should find a shop that carries several of them and go try them. They should let you install the sling to try. If its mainly range you you may find a 2 or 3 point works better for you. But if you get the new forward attachment for the MS2 then you have the best of both worlds.

An MS2 and ASAP or other plate will set you back $75-$90, for range work if your not running and gunning a $30 Blackhawk 2 point would work fine.

7. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc
    Expand Collapse

This is what I ended up with. It is by far the best rig for me.

8. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701
    Expand Collapse
    Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member

I found the MS2 to be quite uncomfortable over long periods of time, and never could get the quick adjust function to work right. The Padded VCAS is superior in every way.

9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

I have a two point Larue Tactical padded sling with QD's

#9 faawrenchbndr, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  10. surf

surf
    Expand Collapse

A pure one point sling is not nearly as stable as say a 2 point sling. The one point / two point convertible set ups are great in concept and function however not all are created equal of course. IMO, if you can only have one set up, the 2 point is a better option for your average shooter / user. A simple 2 point sling will work well and if you want an adjustable length of pull 2 point then there are a few on the market. I agree with Nevermore in that the Vickers VCAS sling series are the best on the market right now.

As for the sling that you link, the MS2, it is a good concept but so so execution and even Magpul acknowledges this. It is too thin and uncomfortable over periods of time and the hardware isn't the best choices IMO. Magpul is working on the MS3 and are attempting to address certain issues so you might want to wait.

11. BBJones

BBJones
    Expand Collapse

+1
    Really like my padded VCAS. Also look into the VTAC sling. No personal experience with it but it looks like another good option.

If you want a Magpul sling, wait on the MS3.

12. AK_Stick

AK_Stick
    Expand Collapse
    AAAMAD

Blue Force Gear padded VCAS

I don't like my MS-2. The only thing I like about it, are the snap shackle, and inline D-ring.

13. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701
    Expand Collapse
    Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member

I agree that the D-ring is a big plus for the MS2, which is why I copied Surf and put one on the underside of my VCAS around where the MS2 has it :supergrin:

14. ezterra

ezterra
    Expand Collapse

I deployed with a Gear Sector 2 point sling. It worked good and it held up well. I have since switched to the MS2 sling and really like it. I like the option of going single or 2 point. During mounted ops, the 2 point configuration works great because the weapon is much more secure. However, when dismounted the single point configuration allows for easier manipulation of the weapon. So far it's been holding up well in training and in rifle matches I've been shooting. I like it and I am comfortable recommending it. Like others have said it is a personal choice though. It's kind of like holsters. What's good for one may not be good for another.

15. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

If it's a pure range weapon, no sling at all. If you just need to move the gun around, an IDF or uncle mike's type basic sling is all you need.

If you plan on ever actually USING the rifle, the VTAC/VCAS/Magpul type. I've used all three, currently i use a LaRue VTAC.

16. AK_Stick

AK_Stick
    Expand Collapse
    AAAMAD

I'm planning on going a slightly different route.

I ordered a second MS2, and a VCAS, and I'm going to cut the VCAS, and sew the padding, into the MS2.

But yeah, that would work too.

17. surf

surf
    Expand Collapse

You might consider waiting on the MS3 sling. Magpul is supposed to be addressing issues in the MS2. I personally do not like the MS2's slider or hardware in general. My MS2 started to fray fairly quickly which was also annoying. The inline ring on the MS2 makes the sling twist and bind when transitioning to the support side, which placing a D-Ring under the sling instead of inline helps to avoid. It isn't horrible but annoying enough. If you like your VCAS it is much easier to convert a VCAS with much better hardware that is readily available. Scavenging padding off of a VCAS sounds like a bit of work and I am not even convinced that it will distribute the load well enough with the padding considering the main MS2 is so narrow. Just a thought. Or again I might wait to see what Magpul does with the MS3. If you do the padding on the MS2 I would be curious to hear and see the results.

18. RWBlue

RWBlue
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

Single point slings are best for tactical groups. This allows you to drop your rifle and transition to a side arm or grenade or ....

Browning® Horsehair Sling – Timber slings are for carrying a rifle, it is useless for
    anything else.

Three point slings have their place, but IMHO, not on an AR. The control surfaces are in the wrong area. I really do like this on an AK, when it is hanging at the hip. (If you have a front post on your AR, this can be accomplished with other slings, but the transition from patrol to stable shooting platform is not as quick.)

The 1906 leather sling is what is needed if you are trying to shoot precision in the field.
    http://www.turnersling.com/high-power-competition-gear.html

Everything else out there is a compromise of the above. They add swivels, clips, quick detach.....

If this is for range use, get the 1906 leather sling. You can go cheap with cheap leather or even nylon.

BTW, Take a look at appleseed shooting. This will teach you the traditional shooting methods. And how to make hits while using a sling.

#18 RWBlue, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  19. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

I've got a Turner on my Garand,......can't see putting one on an AR15. :dunno:

20. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

LaRue VTAC here too, my first sling. It's pretty busy and has a lot of material but it seems to work well. I like that it came with the Quick Disconnects so it was plug-and-play with my M&P 15.