close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Suggest a bulls eye 22 for $300

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by ithaca_deerslayer, May 7, 2012.

1. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I love the Ruger Mark series.

2. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot

May 31, 2011
    Connecticut
    Sorry for the confusion.

When i said most established shooters or higher scoring shooters will have expensive European target guns, I was saying, no one uses the cheap model plinkers. It was a Poor choice of words and example. I should have said look at what newer shooters are using. The guys that choose the cheapest models quickly change to what we are suggesting. Ruger MK II/III, Buck Marks, Challangers or older used High Standards or S&W 41's. Again my choice of the Ruger over the others is first it's a good gun, second it is very well supported by the aftermarket. This means you will not need to sell it off to get a better gun! You can "upgrade" what you have saving $$!

The Ruger or Browning will serve you for a long time. LATER. In your shooting carrier you when you have the $$ or know its something you will do for a long time. will likely upgrade to one of the European pieces. When you reach the point you can out shoot your pistol, THEN you should look for a better gun. 90% of the shooters out there today will never reach that goal.

Practice and establishing the fundimentals to the point they are second nature will be your best "foundation". The fancier pistols will be better appreciated at that time.

Personally I don't even worry about groups for starters. I want the shooter to work on trigger control, sights and breathing. I also feel time spent with open sites first also builds a better foundation than going straight to a red dot.

Again sorry for the confusion in my previous post.

I'm happy to help. If you want or have a spec question PM me.

CW

Last edited: May 10, 2012

3. i will agree . . . 100%

i shoot regular comp's against (2) other regulars who shoot Mark III's. i shot as well at 50 feet as they did - i had open sights and they had red dots. now that i installed my red dot, i can beat them more easily. we're all just about the same age (50). they have been shooting their whole lives - i've been shooting 14 months. (5 months with the S&W 22-A)

i would suggest looking into the S&W

4. Got a chance to bench rest my 2206 today. Held it against a sandbag and fired 10 shots at 50 feet. Here are the two targets I did that with. CCI standard velocity. 1.5" group and 1.75" group. Nothing great, but it shows where me and this gun are.

So feel free to post pics showing me what I should be expecting to do at 50 feet with a better gun. Or a gun I can manage to shoot better :) I welcome any of your 50 ft target pics!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  5. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Aug 23, 2009
    SE WA
    Now I gotta get out and shoot some groups!

6. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot

May 31, 2011
    Connecticut

[​IMG]

This is a open sited Ruger MKIII.

[​IMG]

This is a benched site in with this same Benelli

[​IMG]

This last Monday was the season opener for one of our local three gun opener. This year my wife and I are going to shoot rimfire only. These are "900" matches my first was 92/98/100 10x My second was 98/98/97 13x my NM course was 89/98/97 7x for a total 867 30x. I'm shooting a Benelly MP90 with a Aimpoint dot.

Here is a couple match set targets both 50' and 25 yards

[​IMG]

CW

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  7. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot

May 31, 2011
    Connecticut
    Duplicate... CW

8. Love it! We should see more pics like this on the internet :)

No sarcasm. You think I can see that at my local gun club? Um, no. That's some darn good shooting.

So the bottom pic is a benched sight in. Is the top pic a one-handed slow fire at the timed pace? I think that's what you are showing me, but I just want to make sure. Do you often shoot like that, or was this 100 10x a once in a lifetime perfect score for you?

I am seriously impressed. Ok, so now I've definitely got to get a gun I can 10x with at the bench. I know I'm capable of that with the right gun. Might take a year to get it, but it will be worth the wait.

Then I'll have something to work on my one handed shooting with :)

Thanks!

9. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot

May 31, 2011
    Connecticut
    My best targets to date have been a 98 In doors and 99/3x outdoors, slow fire and 100 9x timed outdoors. I have shot a hundred +- "100" targets never a 10x 100. I have seen them along with 100 slow fires just not shot one my self.

Earlier this year I shot a 900 match and never shot more than a "9" ring hit.
    I have been shooting NRA bullseye since the late 1980's and teaching handgun compatancity since early '90's. Around about '96 I got my wife involved with Bullseye. In training her I began listening to my own teachings. My scores made about a 5pt jump into the high 270's and have been steady rising ever since. Last season my indoor average was about 286. (We don't count "X"'s at 50')

Practice, practice, practice! Breath hold it, let a lil out, watch that front site, squeeze!!!

CW

10. So what is that top pic target from? And what is the score on it? Looks to me like all 10 breaking the X ring. So I would have thought a 100 with 10 X's.

Don't you count X's for a tie break? That's how I've seen it done, indoors, 50ft. Two guys tied, and they count X's to see who won. But maybe that was just a local variation of the rules, I don't know.

11. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot

May 31, 2011
    Connecticut
    You are correct that is a 100/10x but I did not shoot it in a match. I don't count these as "real" scores. ;)

You are also correct counting "X" is for score breaking in NRA rules. When I shoot in this one league we modify NRA rules for the shooter to try to improve #'s. we use highest rapid as tie breaker. If that's the same highest timed etc...

CW