close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Subaru losing acceleration

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by emt1581, Aug 5, 2005.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    My gf has a 2001 Subaru Legacy GT. It's a great car but lately we've been noticing that the acceleration has been dying down a bit. For example, before we could punch it and it would fly on the highway. Nothing like a Porsche but good acceleration. Now we have to floor it for a while (12+ secs) just to get it up to 60-70mph.

My dad said to put a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank because the fuel system might need to be cleaned out. We grabbed a bottle at Wal-Mart, but I'm not sure if she added it yet or not.

My question is, if the bottle doesn't do the trick, and provided there are no wierd noises or fluids coming out of the car, what might the reason be for the noticeable decrease in acceloration?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

2. rawhide

rawhide

Apr 30, 2005
    aurora, co
    when was the last time you did a tune-up?

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    Not sure. Might it be due to sparks plugs or what. Let me know what you're thinking. Thanks!

-Emt1581

4. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I would try some new plugs, it can't hurt.

5. badhunter1234

badhunter1234

Oct 24, 2004
    Ohio
    How many miles do you have on it? Try the fuel injector treatment, it can't hurt and might help. YOu'll need to run a couple of tanks of gas through it to really tell. New plugs might be a good idea if your miles are up there on a 5 year old car. If youre getting any kind of miss on it, you might try new spark plug wires along with those plugs.

Good luck

6. Ljunatic

Ljunatic On The Fringe

Oct 23, 2001
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    If it is not missing or running rough, but just low on performance, especially at full throttle, then it is likely that the fuel filter is plugged.

7. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    Yup that's what it was. Poured a container of that fuel injector cleanser in the tank before we filled up and within a hundred miles it was running like new.

Still have to test the accelloration to be certain. When sluggish it was running 0-60 in 9.5. We'll see what it is now.

Thanks

-Emt1581

8. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Sep 4, 2004
    Racing Capital, USA
    still wouldn't be a bad idea to change your plugs, just so you have the piece of mind.