close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Stupid new guy question

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by afloor4927, Apr 6, 2013.

1. afloor4927

afloor4927

Apr 4, 2013
    Hey all,

My LGS has 50 round boxes of 115 grain FMJ 9 millimeter rounds. They are only $16.99 per box, but they are reloads. Is it a bad idea to shoot reload ammunition through my new glock 19 or is it no big deal? I definitely think that $16.99 sounds much better than $35 a box

2. G-34

G-34

Oct 20, 2012
    North Dakota
    have at it and have fun, thats all i shoot is reloads through my glock 34. had a 19 and shot reloads.

glock recommends against it and a LOT of us here do it

if they are full metal jacket have at it, lead reloads im not sure about:wavey:

gas checked lead loads are ok ive heard

3. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    Whose reloads? Is it a big company? I shoot my own reloads but I wouldn't dream of shooting anybody else's.

Richard

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  4. Smoker

Smoker

Jul 21, 2008
    NE Kansas
    please refer to the old threads here on reloads & glocks, there is plenty of them..

5. I tend to stay away from reloads unless they're mine. There have been a lot of horror stories over the years - KBs and such. That said, my old gun club use to reload (only way they could keep people shooting during the first ammo crisis) and I ran a bunch through my 1911s, Sig and G19. Never had a problem. These guys were very careful and used pro grade equipment. I guess it all depends who is doing the reloading and do you trust them.

6. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    One of the cardinal rules of shooting is to NEVER use reloads other than your own. I have found -- the hard way -- that this is a good rule.

7. Some of the folks replying here, like myself, are reloaders and can be found over on the reloading thread. Those are the folks, like myself, recommending that you never shoot anyone's reloads other than your own. I personally wouldn't shoot other reloads if they were given to me as I value my guns and body parts too highly.

8. rohanreginald

rohanreginald Novice

Dec 9, 2009
    I blew up a gun on someone elses reloads. I wont do it again.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. judgecrater

judgecrater

Dec 24, 2011
    north GA
    I would think that as they are from a LGS, they are professional re-manufactured and OK. On the other hand I certainly would not shoot some reloads found at a garage or estate sale of unknown parentage.

10. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    If the box has the name of whatever company made them, I might give them a call or ask at the gunstore, if there was a catastrophic failure with one of their reloads would they repair or replace the gun?

11. GaryC

GaryC

Apr 3, 2011
    Texas
    :agree:

12. afloor4927

afloor4927

Apr 4, 2013
    They are made by the LGS. It's called kodiac guns & range.

13. I've shot reloads bought at my local range & a local reloading company (10mm & 40 S&W) with no problems in my G20.

14. OP ...how about your fingers? Would they replace or repair those?

15. 22rtf2

22rtf2 Peaceful

Feb 24, 2009
    20 mins from Smyrna
    If you think 16.99 is a good price for 50, 115gr squibby reloads I'd suggest you start picking up that brass and buy a press. 16.99 will seem like $50 when you start loading for .10 a round.

16. Sdk8103

Sdk8103

Feb 12, 2013
    North Carolina
    I was wondering what the cost savings were for reloading, if any, or if it was just a "hobby" type of thing for shooters.

17. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    Guess I'm the black sheep of the bunch.
    I only shoot quality brass ammo in any of my handguns.

I don't reload.
    But wouldn't have any problem shooting rounds I'd personally loaded.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  18. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Thumper

Aug 28, 2008
    Fort Worth Texas
    Personally I would NOT buy those reloads.
    Cheap reloads are a problem just waiting to happen.

19. 10 cents a round was common for 9mil reloads, but not right now if you hadn't bought components before the shootings. Everything (including the presses) is hard to get, and expensive when you do. Wait times are abysmal.

You'll still save about 1/2 from whatever factory ammo costs are in any given period of time, but if you are not a reloader right now, it's probably not a great time to get started.

It's a hobby where you can actually save money for ammo, but more importantly to some... you can fine-tune your ammo for your gun and the job - say competition or hunting.

Reloading has a learning curve with no shortcuts ever. It requires a certain amount of mechanical aptitude and attention to detail. And right now it requires a lot of patience just finding equipment and components which have all gone up in price and down in availability just like factory ammo.