Stuff I don't eat

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Woof, Oct 26, 2004.

1. My Lab had a habit of "accidentally" knocking over beer bottles with her nose, then drinking it out of the carpet. I can't remember exactly how we broke her of that.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. socialchaos

socialchaos Senior Member

You couldn't be more right...;f

3. Same here. She also REALLY liked jack daniels lemonaid.

4. manonmars

manonmars Spaced Out

You are correct Sir.:)

250gm = appx 9 oz......ACTUALLY 8.9285714 OZ...BUT WHO'S COUNTING?;f

......badhunter1234, I'd be careful....chocolate IS bad for dogs, and CAN kill them under CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES.

You might be pushing the envelope............

5. Woof woof, gimme some chicken.

6. My sister is one who goes nuts over the idea of letting a dog have any amount of chocolate.

I, on the other hand, see nothing wrong with giving a little bite of Snicker to a very good dog who loves them. I do this on the theory that there is something that would be absolute poison to my dog, but would be a great treat for my child... is kinda ridiculous.

Like manonmars and some others of you, I suspected that maybe 70 or 80 pounds of Snickers would be bad for the dog. Who in their right mind would give more than a couple of nibbles of expensive chocolate to their dog?

7. Tristan

Tristan Awwwww.........

I feed my dogs fresh veggies a lot. They love carrot sticks, brocolli, asparagus, grapes. Come to think of it, they love anything that comes off my plate. ;)

I had heard the one about grapes before, but I don't know why it's bad for them. My dog's are 80 and 100 lbs and the only thing the foods listed ever do to them is really bad gas...........especially when I give them brocolli. ;f

8. Eddie C.

Eddie C. Administrator
    Moderator CLM

9. You may think it is not affecting him, but I bet it is. My folks' dog started getting aggressive, which was completely out of character. Took him to the vet, fearing he would have to be put down. Turns out my dad was giving him candy, and chocolate shakes from BK. Nixed the sweets for the dog, and he recovered right away.

10. mzenzer

mzenzer Argus-eyed

You "theory" is wrong, regardless of how rediculous you think it is, It's a medical fact. Chocolate kills dogs. Period.

Yes, the volumes involved vary with the type of chocolate and size of the dog and can be a large amount to be fatal, but it is toxic, no matter how good a treat it is for your child.

My 40 pound mixed breed got a hold of my daughters holloween candy once. As far as I know there was nothing more than milk chocalate in there (mini snickers, reeses, etc.). It could not have been more than two pounds at best. He didn't die but he **** blood for a week and was very sickly and wouldn't eat.

However, my child, eating the same amount, was obviously unaffected. Personal theories aside, chocolate can kill dogs.;Q

11. Jack Straight -- you may have a point. He did bite off two of my fingers yesterday just for fun.

I'm kidding, OK! Rocko is 120 pounds of big baby -- lab -- rottie mix. Thinks we weighs 10 pounds and wants to sit in my lap. I exaggerated a little, he eats small quantities of candy and whatever else he can beg -- he's pretty handy for finishing off the pizza crusts.

The donut thing is no exaggeration though. Twice he got up to the kitchen counter while we were gone and dragged down a whole dozen donuts of all varieties that I had carefully selected for me and my family (well, really for me). He ate every last one, and licked the inside of the box.

Patrol Mom -- that is a fine looking rottie. How much does he weigh?

I do really appreciate everyones comments and concerns. I am in the medical field and do understand that certain substances, including chocolate, can be toxic to dogs. Having said that, my dogs have always been part of the family and we do occasionally give them table food. I do buy them mcdonalds ice cream cones occasionally, but not chocolate dipped. I guess dogs have died from chocolate, but I guess it can kill people too indirectly by making them fat like me and giving them heart problems.

On a darker note, we had to have our 13 year old Lhaso Apso put down last week. She was blind and incontinent and in pain from arthritis. Rocko really misses her, and so do we. Enjoy your pets.

12. manonmars

manonmars Spaced Out

badhunter1234

Sorry to hear about your dog...........

My dog is 11...we've spent EVERY DAY except 7 together.

It's going to be tough when the time comes.................

I use a holistic vet for his few minor problems.

As I discussed with her (the vet) a few days ago, Getting people to believe in holistic medicine for themselves is hard to do, but getting them to believe in Holistic medicine for their pets is almost impossible.

For example, do you know that you DO NOT need to give rabies shots, distemper shots more than once in a dog's life?

It's mostly "vet income" that drives the "need" for these shots, and much of the other "Vet recommended procedures".

P.S. Eddie, can we move this thread back now if we stop talking about chocolate?????
    ;);f ;f ;f ;f ;f ;f ;f ;f;)

13. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

I love onion and garlic and beer ;Y :drool: ;3
    Without them life is not worth anything and after all I had a cancer, so what's a difference? ;)

14. manonmars

manonmars Spaced Out

Correcto'mundo:)

I've (My dog has never) never had a problem giving my dog a small bite or 2 of snickers, etc, brownies, choc ice cream, etc.

he's about 65#..........I give him about 1/2-1 oz.

If he were 25#, I'd give him 1/8 to 1/4 oz...........

but then again, I can't see myself ever having a 25# dog......;) ;f ;f

My friend has a yorkie...........She actually calls that a DOG....;g;f

15. Actually, I think since this is staying with animals, it will be going to Critter Corner ;)

16. manonmars

manonmars Spaced Out

So, what is better, a 45 or a 40?

A Glock or a Non-Glock?

And what about that reloading?

What's up with that?

How about AK-47's.

And AR-15's.

Ok, where you gona' move this NOW?

HUH?;f

17. Ludacris

Ludacris Hog

Dogs cannot post on the internet.

18. ...you would be suprised what a properly trained animal can do ;)

19. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Thanks for making this a sticky.........

I just re-read that post from Woof......very informative!!!

::::::looking upwards:::::::::

Thanks Woof buddy!!!!!!!!!!