Stuff I don't eat

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Woof, Oct 26, 2004.


  1. Woof

    Woof Woof, Woof
    Millennium Member

    Chocolate toxicity
    Chocolate contains theobromine, a compound that is a cardiac stimulant and a diuretic.

    When affected by an overdose of chocolate, a dog can become excited and hyperactive. Due to the diuretic effect, it may pass large volumes of urine and it will be unusually thirsty. Vomiting and diarrhoea are also common. The effect of theobromine on the heart is the most dangerous effect. Theobromine will either increase the dog’s heart rate or may cause the heart to beat irregularly. Death is quite possible, especially with exercise.

    After their pet has eaten a large quantity of chocolate, many pet owners assume their pet is unaffected. However, the signs of sickness may not be seen for several hours, with death following within twenty-four hours.

    Cocoa powder and cooking chocolate are the most toxic forms. A 10-kilogram dog can be seriously affected if it eats a quarter of a 250gm packet of cocoa powder or half of a 250gm block of cooking chocolate. These forms of chocolate contain ten times more theobromine than milk chocolate. Thus, a chocolate mud cake could be a real health risk for a small dog. Even licking a substantial part of the chocolate icing from a cake can make a dog unwell.

    Semi-sweet chocolate and dark chocolate are the next most dangerous forms, with milk chocolate being the least dangerous. A dog needs to eat more than a 250gm block of milk chocolate to be affected. Obviously, the smaller the dog, the less it needs to eat.

    Onion and garlic poisoning
    Onions and garlic are other dangerous food ingredients that cause sickness in dogs, cats and also livestock. Onions and garlic contain the toxic ingredient thiosulphate. Onions are more of a danger.

    Pets affected by onion toxicity will develop haemolytic anaemia, where the pet’s red blood cells burst while circulating in its body.

    At first, pets affected by onion poisoning show gastroenteritis with vomiting and diarrhoea. They will show no interest in food and will be dull and weak. The red pigment from the burst blood cells appears in an affected animal’s urine and it becomes breathless. The breathlessness occurs because the red blood cells that carry oxygen through the body are reduced in number.

    The poisoning occurs a few days after the pet has eaten the onion. All forms of onion can be a problem including dehydrated onions, raw onions, cooked onions and table scraps containing cooked onions and/or garlic. Left over pizza, Chinese dishes and commercial baby food containing onion, sometimes fed as a supplement to young pets, can cause illness.

    Onion poisoning can occur with a single ingestion of large quantities or with repeated meals containing small amounts of onion. A single meal of 600 to 800 grams of raw onion can be dangerous whereas a ten-kilogram dog, fed 150 grams of onion for several days, is also likely to develop anaemia. The condition improves once the dog is prevented from eating any further onion

    While garlic also contains the toxic ingredient thiosulphate, it seems that garlic is less toxic and large amounts would need to be eaten to cause illness.

    The danger of macadamia nuts
    Macadamia nuts are another concern. A recent paper written by Dr. Ross McKenzie, a Veterinary Pathologist with the Department of Primary Industries, points to the danger of raw and roasted macadamia nuts for pets.

    The toxic compound is unknown but the affect of macadamia nuts is to cause locomotory difficulties. Dogs develop a tremor of the skeletal muscles, and weakness or paralysis of the hindquarters. Affected dogs are often unable to rise and are distressed, usually panting. Some affected dogs have swollen limbs and show pain when the limbs are manipulated.

    Dogs have been affected by eating as few as six macadamia kernels (nuts without the shell) while others had eaten approximately forty kernels. Some dogs had also been given macadamia butter.

    Luckily, the muscle weakness, while painful, seems to be of short duration and all dogs recovered from the toxicity. All dogs were taken to their veterinary surgeon.

    Pets owners should not assume that human food is always safe for pets. When it comes to chocolate, onions, garlic and macadamia nuts, such foods should be given in only small quantities, or not at all. Be sure that your pets can’t get into your stash of chocolates, that food scraps are disposed of carefully to prevent onion and garlic toxicity and that your dog is prevented from picking up macadamia nuts if you have a tree in your garden.

    Other potential dangers
    • Pear pips, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pips (contain cyanogenic glycosides resulting in cyanide posioning)
    • Potato peelings and green looking potatoes
    • Rhubarb leaves
    • Mouldy/spoiled foods
    • Alcohol
    • Yeast dough
    • Coffee grounds, beans & tea (caffeine)
    • Hops (used in home brewing)
    • Tomato leaves & stems (green parts)
    • Broccoli (in large amounts)
    • Raisins and grapes
    • Cigarettes, tobacco, cigars
     

    Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. jame

    jame mange takk

    Brains.

    Calf brains, pig brains, hell, I don't care, giraffe brains.

    Sorry. Ain't gonna eat 'em. Yuk.....
     

  3. Don't eat Suger, Hydrogenated Oils and Trans Fats. Don't eat ANYTHING PROCESSED! Natural fat from healthy range fed animals that have had access to naturally growing grass and sunshine is very healthy. Raw milk is a miracle super food. Meat is good for you. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Don't eat ANYTHING PROCESSED or Enriched. Don't eat Soy products.
     
  4. manonmars

    manonmars Spaced Out

    669
    13
    1,236
    10 kilo dog = 26 pounds

    250gm = appx 9 oz

    appx wt. of chocloate in 2 oz Butterfinger candy bar = .10 oz.

    Number of candy bars a dog would have to eat to eat 9 oz of chocolate; 250

    I don't know of a 26# dog that can eat 250 candy bars,. nor would they want to........
     
  5. Dogs can't post on the internet, what the hell?
     
  6. I don't eat produce from Wal-Mart.
     
  7. Alchemy

    Alchemy Senior Member

    Yes your right Ludicras, dogs can't post on the net,
    but people with the brains of a dog can!
     
  8. What? Play nice brah.
     
  9. I don't eat carbs. ***Removed for content*** All I want is a bowl of cherios.
     
  10. It's a dog eat dog world. Freakin' cannibal! ;K
     
  11. mpol777

    mpol777 Feral Member

    You've obviously never met Spike. 8lbs of eating machine.

    [​IMG]
     
  12. ATL Peach Girl

    ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

    Woof..........

    Chocolate is toxic to your feline friends too........

    This dog-gone kitten I just aquired (see Critter Corner for pics) was begging for my (sugar free) chocolate milk the other day......

    =^..^= ** =^..^=
     
  13. Dogs should not eat alcohol?

    Why will they sip your beer or wine if you turn your back?

    There is no shock like going back to your wine glass on the coffee table and noticing that it is a half inch lower in wine than when you left it. You never know where their mouth has been. Ugh.

    Little thieves!
     
  14. Dude -- my dog eats M&M's like theyre going out style, and it doesnt affect him in any way. My mom's 5 pound yorkie got into her fudge and ate a whole tray -- probably two pounds of it. My dog has stolen a whole box of donuts and eaten every one (twice!). The only health danger involved was me seriously considering shooting him for stealing my donuts!! (Settle down, PETA guys -- I'm a rational person. I sat down with him and had a serious discussion pointing out how dissapointed I was in his behavior, and I set up a 12 point plan of intervention).

    Whew -- too much excitement for me -- I'm taking my dog to Taco Bell!
     
  15. Bravo8

    Bravo8 Tattooed Freak

    Don't eat anything! Everything is bad for you! Starvation is much better!
     
  16. ATL Peach Girl

    ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

    My mom's toy cockapoo once ate a whole 2 or 3 pound loaf of FUDGE......

    She survived........I think she had a bellyache though.......

    But yeah, it's best to not let your pooches or felines get into your chocolate......seriously......
     
  17. socialchaos

    socialchaos Senior Member

    116
    0
    0
    When I walk into a place to eat, I usually stare at the menu for a few minutes and after looking at all the Atkins stuff, I proclaim very loudly..."Hey uh..you got anything high carb by any chance? I'm on the Fatkins diet..." The response is usually overwhelming....until they realize I'm serious. ;f

    (By the way, I'm 162lbs and lean as it gets)
     
  18. Our Rottie got into the garbage once and ate a whole bunch of coffee grounds...........eewwwwwwwwwwww...I thought we'd never get him off the ceiling...;P
     
  19. Just for the record a Kilogram ~= 2.2 LBS.

    Unless Dog kilograms weigh more, a 10 kilo dog would be 22 pounds.
     
  20. I bet a lot of people hate you for that...


    ;f
     

Share This Page