close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Students teach hippie about the 1st Amendment.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ronduke, May 12, 2011.

1. ronduke

ronduke

Jan 24, 2007

2. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    What's good for the goose is good for the gander...

3. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
  4. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/1...nds-protesters-attempting-burn-american-flag/
    Following Haas' fiasco...
    Wells went on to say, “My main message behind all of this is that it’s time for my generation and our society to start speaking up so that the minority voice does not always seem like the loudest voice,” Wells said. “(Haas) did have the right to burn the flag, but it was not an honorable thing for him to do and our student body and fellow Louisianans made that very clear today as they rallied on campus to show support for our county.”

See, some kids do have their heads screwed on right.

5. Not quite chased away. LSU PD removed him for his own safety after some of the counter-protesters became violent. I certainly don't condone his actions, but the "patriots" didn't come off that well, IMO. A counter-protest is one thing, stifling free speech by use of force or violence is something else entirely, IMO.

6. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Almost Done

Sep 12, 2006
    Rocking Chair
    The government didn't stifle his free speech, they don't have a right to; his fellow students on the other hand can't violate his right to free speech because he has no protection against it.

I can't view the video, so I cna't see the "violence". Did they touch him or just threaten it?

ETA- after reading the Fox piece, I wonder what actions resulted in the use of combative as a description for the crowd. He moved, the crowd followed and the police acted in an abundance of caution to move him away.

Water balloons- classic

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  7. If Soldier's are expected to fight and die to protect our flag, the American flag, is it wrong for others to protect it as well?

Did he have permit for an open fire?

What does the law for arson state?

IMHO if you are in an area that has a large group of people, and you do a dumb act, you deserve the whooping that follows. Burn a flag in front of Soldiers, be a white guy and use the N word in front of a large group of black people, use the word ***** in font of a group of women. Hate speech is hate speech. The first Amendment only covers some speech, not all speech.

8. Well, unlike China, the cops didn't drag him away or beat him. American action as it should be, even if boisterous.

And yes, reckless burning, burning without enclosure and some other charges come to mind should we encounter something similar.

9. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

I am of the mind if a person wants to so much do damage to the flag representing the country that I serve, then the person in particular should simply enfold one's self into the loving embraces of the burning flag, and be consumed therewith.

10. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I respect and will protect the right of someone who wants to exercise their 1st Amendment Right to burn our flag. I will also respect anyone who defends the honor of my country by beating the crap out of said flag burner.

I didn't see a thing by the way. Someone called my name and I turned away to look, thereby not seeing the alleged incident where the hippie flag burner got attacked.

11. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    wha fraking wha.....i have no problem with somebody getting the schiet kicked out of them for disgracing our flag on purpose.

dont like? get the frack out.

12. Gator Monroe

Gator Monroe

Jan 30, 2011
    Oak Run Ca.
    So many of the under 40 crowd has been brainwarshed into good little Progressives who have issues with The Racist Bigoted Homophobic slave owning coloniailist imperialist American flag and want it changed ...:rofl:

13. Free speech can be stifled without consideration of a rights issue.
    Objects were thrown. I thought the water balloons were cute, but then it escalated to full water bottles and then soda cans and other hard objects.

14. Depends entirely on how they protect it and other considerations.

Not needed and irrelevant, IIRC. The area he was in is sort of a free-speech zone where individual demonstrations and such are allowed, and there would have been no arson.
    We'll have to disagree. Might does not make right, and given that the Court has specifically ruled flag burning as protected speech hard to argue against that. I find it problematic at best, and I like I said, I think the water balloons were a brilliant idea as counter-protest. but when it becomes violent that is a different ballgame, IMO.

15. GackMan

GackMan

Feb 12, 2002
    PacNW
    I think it is brilliant.

Free speech for everyone... What? Surprised that not everyone agrees with you?

16. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    KY
    And therein is the crux of the issue he failed to realize.

17. EOD3

EOD3

Oct 19, 2000
    Indiana

Eloquence in action, well said Hack. :cool:

18. Pinki

Pinki Kiss My Glock CLM

Nov 23, 2006
    North Carolina
    That is the best news I've heard all week! GO LSU students!