Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Stripping cheap ceramic coating

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by FSU Bulldog, Jan 15, 2010.

1. I recently acquired a weapon that someone finished in cheap ceramic? paint or some such. Anyway, I was wondering if there is any sort of thinner or product I can use to strip this off so I can re-blue the weapon?

Any help is greatly appreciated! THANKS!
  2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    What brand weapon is it?
    Chances are it will need to be bead blasted for removal.

3. It's a browning hi-power 9mm
  4. Old Guard Dog

Old Guard Dog

Aug 24, 2009
    If it is DuraCoat or GunCoat, it will need to be bead blasted.
  5. .45Super-Man

May 4, 2007
    Acetone or Methyl ketone.
  6. boyscoutG36

boyscoutG36 Armorer

Apr 29, 2003
    Colorful Colorado
    If it's cured Cerakote or a similar product, you would need to abrasive blast it. Then you would have to spend quite a while sanding and re-polishing to bring it to a point where you could blue it. If you have the time, it could be a fun project.
  7. I have seen Jaxco paint & epoxy remover recommended for removing Duracoat. Some times preceded by lacquer thinner or MEK. Usually followed by aluminum oxide blasting.

It may not be Duracoat, however. It might be a baked finish. In that case, blasting is the way to go.

You could blast the surface rough, and paint over it. That would be the easiest solution. Sounds like you don't like the idea of a painted finish, however. If that is the case, you have some work ahead of you. Good luck.
  8. That did the trick! Thanks grendelbane! Finish is a bit rough underneath, but I'll fix that.

AWESOME! Thanks everyone!