close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Street encounter (video)

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Sam Spade, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    I frequently write of awareness, the three stupids, and a bunch of other things that apply to the armed lifestyle. Here's a video that's chock full of illustrations. www.liveleak.com/view?i=1bc_1331685445

So, what's the takeaway?

("Sam is an idiot who can't link for squat" is a given.)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

Nov 2, 2009
    Kentucky
    Wow. I think he needs a proportionally bigger person to give him an attitude adjustment. Hopefully, since he's on video, he'll at least be arrested soon.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. smokin762

smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    Ohio
    My first thought was, you should know when to mind your own business. Sometimes, you are better off calling the police and reporting the situation instead of taking matters into your own hands. They are trained for these situations.

My second thought was, never allow a stranger to get that close to you. You are putting yourself in jeopardy when you are within arm’s reach of a stranger. I don’t like it when people invade my personal space. As my personal rule, I will usually try to back up from a person who gets too close to me. After doing this twice with the same person, I have no problem asking them politely to stop getting so close to me.

I am not a professional anything. I am just a guy that tries to keep a little situational awareness. I believe our personal safety is our own responsibility.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  4. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

Jan 26, 2009
    SWMO
    Why did the ladies turn around and come back to him? Why did she allow him to put his arm around her? It's almost as if they knew him.

The link I have is just the video, is there more to this story? Moral of the story, avoid drunks walking on the sidewalk! :rofl:

:wavey:

red

5. RoundBrown

RoundBrown

Feb 12, 2010
    Im betting that was his GF, and he got mad for reasons unknown.went outside of bar/club, she then came out to talk to him...what it looks like to me

6. slickt0mmy

slickt0mmy

Jan 17, 2011
    Ohio
    That's a great example of the need to be able to walk away from a confrontation. Without audio it's hard to know what was said between the two. I assume he said something derogatory to the two women as they walked past and the one came back to defend her honor. There's no need for that. What's the point in defending your honor to a drunk guy on the sidewalk? He won't remember it in the morning anyway.

Next, like others have said, NEVER get that close to someone on the street. If he can put his arm around you like that, he can just as easily cut your throat.

7. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    I don't think so. There's no signal, not even body language, on her initial approach that suggests she has the slightest clue who this guy is. Only after he addresses her on passing does she change posture.

8. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

Nov 11, 2001
    Utah
    She let him get to close. She should have avoided the confrontation entirely and walked away.

I've had people get too close on the street. In one case I jumped up onto a concrete planter box to put some distance between me and them.

Keep your distance...that's my number one rule when walking on the street.

9. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!! Platinum Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Louisiana
    I think the correct answer is ALL OF THE ABOVE. Situational awareness, knowing when to walk away (or stay away in the first place) and if it HAD been a boyfriend / girlfriend squabble, walking away from the AH would have gotten the "thumbs up" (along with finding a new boyfriend!!!).

10. Generally, in order to justify the use of lethal force on your behalf, there must (a) be a conspicuous disparity of force; and (b) one must be in fear for their life or grievous personal harm that is also imminent.

This is pretty much common throughout the United States and Canada (although concealed carry in Canada is pretty much nonexistant for regular folks).

The protection of PROPERTY on the other hand will vary from state to state and in Canada and is much less liberal than the aforementioned protection of life and limb.

Know the law or pay the price.

11. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles
    ETA: Some Video Highlights I Saw...

From the plates on the cars this appears to be in Europe yet the girls seem rather chubby for Euro girls so I'm going to have to go with somewhere in the UK or Quebec for location. American style obesity has made it's way there. It's certainly not anywhere in Eastern Europe, those chicks are hot and slender still. :whistling: Anyway...The second car going down the street appeared to be following the first car too close. He needs to be stopped and possibly treated as a criminal. However, if he has a CCW badge and he is wearing a hat, pat him on the bottom and give him an "On your way good sir."

[FYI - I pegged the location based on car plate style, which indicated Euro, and the chubbiness of the chicks, which indicated UK, before I ever saw in the vid description that yes, this was in the UK :rofl:]

Now the more pertinent things...

At about 00:09 the puncher appears to move to confront the male walking towards him but thinks better of it. At about 00:13 if you watch it in full screen it appears that he actually spits at the blonde girl or does something to insinuate that he is going to spit and that is the trigger of the altercation itself. Though one could argue that the blonde girl staring at him as they walked by was a trigger. Play it full screen and just concentrate on watching his face. He also had his left hand in his pocket for most of it. Could just be a mannerism, could also have had hand on knife or other. The chubby guy in black with the cell and smoking comes on at 00:12. He appears to possibly be with the puncher. Never can tell if you might have to fight one, or a whole pack you didn't expect. Best not to get into street fights.

Here are the takeaways I see...

First mistake: They were too busy talking and not paying attention or they would have noticed the drunk guy staggering around and punching walls just up the street and maybe could have crossed over or stayed more out of the way.

Second mistake: The blonde girl stares the guy down as they pass. Not a bad move to keep an eye on him but she was making eye contact which some people will take as a sign of aggression even from a woman. I view it as a signal to approach and get a phone number if a woman stares at me. Cause I'm so dang good looking.

Next mistakes...

Girls should not engage in verbal altercations on the street with strange drunk guys, or guys in general. Nor should women step to and "keep it real" with said drunk guys. Most men would never lay a hand on a woman. Some guys don't operate by that rule but thankfully they are still in the minority I think. At least in my circles...see below for thoughts on that...

She made a mistake in not realizing that a stranger was using different rules of social conduct and that he would not only violate her personal space but also touch her. In the words of Marc MacYoung "She was a Roman partying with the barbarians and she thought the rules of Rome still applied..."

Same mistake guys make when they refuse to back down from a verbal sleight or they go places they shouldn't be without knowing that the rules of the playground have changed along with the change of scenery and the crowd.

She didn't deserve to get hit, but it appeared from the behavior in the video, that whatever he said or did when they first walked by, she just couldn't let it go and she had to come back (in her mind) and verbally up the ante or have the last word. Mistake. She should have no more done that than I should walk into a biker bar and announce I'm going to kick everyone's a@# and expect that there might be no consequences to what I do.

She played a part in what happened from the moment she decided to turn back around and apparently give him a piece of her mind. Though she did not make him hit her, nor was that even remotely right, her own behavior contributed to put her in the final outcome of the situation through an apparent verbal escalation that she came back and initiated.

In fact, the blonde girl in the pants tried to reel her friend in because she had enough sense to know this was going nowhere good. The girl who confronted him did not listen to her friend and walk away. Mistake.

She absolutely should not have moved closer to a stranger on the street nor allowed a stranger to come close to her like that. But, she was suffering from the white woman's delusion. (see my side note)

It could have been avoided by just continuing to walk down the street. It could have ended up much worse if it had been a knife and not a punch or if he had decided to stomp her when she was down. Hopefully she is okay and learned an important lesson in street smarts.

Oh and notice everyone else just watches. Don't expect people to come running even to the aid of a woman these days.

Worst mistake: Those chicks need to lose about 15-20 and they would be super cute. :dunno:

Stupid Places, With Stupid People, Doing Stupid Things = Stupid Outcomes.

On a side note:

Young ladies used to know better than to stay out late and drunkenly walk the streets scantily dressed and throwing up in bushes. Though their antics are crass, crude and sometimes laughable, it is a mistake to think that you have the right to go where you want and do and say as you please without consequence. You do have the right to go, say and do as you please, but you will take the consequences, good or bad.

Women, particularly suburban white women, seem to suffer from the delusion that no matter what they say or do, no one will touch them. That may well be true in the suburbs or the Giant grocery parking lot but late at night on a city street filled with bars, drunks and alcohol the same rules and social norms do not apply. Too many white suburban women fed high doses of self esteem and empowerment mantra to the point where the sense of entitlement overrides the sense of self preservation and common sense. They get themselves into troubles or their men into troubles. (yes I know we have no timeframe in this particular video and it does not appear these girls were drunk)

I am certain many of us who have lived in larger cities have personally seen cases where kids from the 'burbs come into the city to party and someone's girlfriend shoots her mouth off and gets her boyfriend mixed up in a royal butt whipping or worse. That's also a delightful game younger ladies like to play called "Let's you and him fight.." Google that one if you want to read the psychological literature and underpinnings. Here let me help you...http://www.ericberne.com/games/games_people_play_LYAHF.htm

OCCHPT. :rofl:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  12. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Yeah, hindsight is 20/20, but how could she possibly know that a drunk guy that spits on random women walking down the street wasn't going to be a gentleman and would also resort to hitting a woman? :whistling::whistling:

Randy

13. DannyII

DannyII

Jul 25, 2011
    Ohio
    This fight didn't come to her, she came to it. Once they passed, and she went back, she became the aggressor.

No, she shouldn't have gotten hit, but she also should have just kept walking like her friend wanted to.

"Bravery" without intelligence is dangerous.

14. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

May 20, 2000
    Tennessee
    Do not let someone get very close to you.
    Do not get in a verbal confrontation.
    Do not escalate an already bad situation.
    If in doubt, shut your mouth. (I have seen countless situations where this
    would have helped keep everything from going ugly).

15. Misty02

Misty02

Aug 25, 2008
    Florida
    The ladies appear from the beginning of the video, they are walking past that man. It seems he said something to them that the lady in shorts with the dark top took offense to. At :21 she’s come back to confront him, her friend later tries to pull her away. She responds to him putting his arm around her shoulders by pushing him away and he decks her.

My personal opinion, she shouldn’t have turned back to confront him. The two second satisfaction of telling him off is not worth the possible consequences, although now she could press charges against him. Still, not worth it. The risk far outweighs the rewards, why even think about it? In a way she was fortunate, it could have been much worse.

I’m also in agreement with HKLovingIT’s assessment, with a single exception men are also often guilty of not taking a second to analyze how a situation can reach a point where control is out of their hands as well.

I tried to apply that scenario to something that could happen to me, not that it is impossible for someone to get that close without my consent, but it would be rather difficult. He wouldn’t have been allowed to get that close even if attempted during the first passing. I don’t stand within people’s personal space when I speak with them, I don’t permit others to stand in mine either (and this is during friendly conversations). A friendly conversation with a stranger would require even more space. An adversarial type of conversation would just be avoided all together.

16. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles
    I agree with you 100%.

17. AA#5

AA#5

Nov 26, 2008
    Looks like he spat at the women, which, of course ticked them off. I'd have called police instead of confronting him. Even the victim's friend tried to restrain her from confronting him.

18. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    I see what you did there... Well played, sir...

Randy

19. Misty02

Misty02

Aug 25, 2008
    Florida
    :rofl::rofl::rofl: Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy