close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

Strange modification to used Gen4 Glock 19, please advise

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by Jellysick, Jul 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Jellysick

Jellysick
    Expand Collapse

I recently purchased a used Gen4 Glock 19 from another GT member. The transaction was an absolute mess, however I can't say I think the seller did anything intentionally to complicate things. Details and drama of the transaction aside, I wanted to run a few points of this pistol by those more familiar with Glock pistols than myself to see if there is anything I need to be concerned about:

- Date of manufacturer is July 2010. Pistol was unfired (no marks on barrel whatsoever). I cleaned it and lubed it appropriately, it was extremely dry when I received it. Has RSA marked 0-3. Glock has the 0-4-3 RSA in the mail on its way to me.

- Ejector is marked "336" (I believe those were the numbers), I ordered a new Glock trigger housing for a Gen4 9mm from Lone Wolf with the Glock tool to replace the ejector with the new one, marked 30274.

- The seller installed Meprolight Tru-Dot night sights. According to him, this was the only modification to the pistol. Upon receipt and after further inspection, it also appears to have a smooth trigger, most likely from a G17? I can't find anything that might lead me to believe any Gen4 G19s ever shipped with smooth triggers... So I'm guessing that at some point someone swapped this trigger out.

- When removing the slide (confirm unloaded, pull trigger, pull slide back 1/4", pull down take down levers), the slide slides forward off of the frame about 1/2" to 1". Then it stops and appears stuck. Pulling the trigger again lets it slide right off the frame. Is this typical for Gen4s? My Gen3 G23 slide comes right off without having to pull the tigger a second time.

-This is the more important one in my eyes:. In the grip cavity behind the magwell, there should be a few ridges which from what I can tell help secure the backstraps on the Gen4s. At some point, someone ground off the ridges smooth. The grinding/filing marks inside this cavity are actually quite clean, it doesn't really look like a hack job. I'm guessing someone used a dremel tool for this because of a few scratch marks on the adjacent wall directly inbetween the magwell and this cavity. The cavity now resembles that of a Gen3, and in fact, the grip plug from my Gen3 Glock 23 fits in this Gen4 perfectly now.

Was curious if, besides the "surprises" with the transaction, anyone sees any red flags as far as using this pistol for training and CCW purposes? My intent was to keep this absolutely stock aside from the night sights and shoot the crap out of it at the range.With the FTE and BTF issues the early Gen4 19's had, I think the RSA and ejector updates are rightfully called for. I dont know if the removal of the ridges pose any structural concerns of the frame now?

Thanks for any help or insight.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Photoman642

Photoman642
    Expand Collapse

Maybe someone put a Gen 3 trigger/trigger bar in it? Will that even fit in a Gen 4?

I don't think I would be comfortable CCW'ing that gun until everything gets figured out.

3. BuckyP

BuckyP
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

When you dry fire the empty gun, does the trigger stay reward or does it return forward? If it returns forward, it may have an NY trigger spring in it. If so, you would need to hold the trigger rearward for disassembly.

4. Jellysick

Jellysick
    Expand Collapse

Interesting idea. I just googled a few things and found this on glockmeister:
    https://www.glockmeister.com/New-York-Trigger-Spring-1-8-LBs/productinfo/G7405/

That part, I believe, is in this pistol. I can see the tan top of that trigger spring when the slide is off of the pistol and I thought it looked weird compared to my Gen3 Glock 23. But then again, I'm not as familiar with the different pistols and generations as others are.

5. Jellysick

Jellysick
    Expand Collapse

I posted directly after you and I think it does have the NY trigger spring in it. That does make sense a bit I guess. Presumably the tigger bar is stock in it then I guess?

I was just reading about the 3.5# connector with the NY trigger spring to maintain the stock pull weight. What is the difference between this and the stock setup then?

6. ChrisJn

ChrisJn
    Expand Collapse
    "Old Bill"

Wow, what a perceptive diagnosis from afar! We are never too old to learn. Thank you.

7. Jellysick

Jellysick
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely! Very perceptive.

Anyone have thoughts on the backstrap notches/ridges being removed? Any concerns with that?

8. HEXE9

HEXE9
    Expand Collapse
    Shootin' Fool

Was this an in person transaction or was the pistol shipped to your FFL?

How long has the other party been a member here on GT?

9. Jellysick

Jellysick
    Expand Collapse

It was shipped to my FFL. The seller has been on GT for 7 years according to their profile, over 150 posts.

10. Dave.1

Dave.1
    Expand Collapse

Picture of NY 1 Trigger Spring.
    [​IMG]

Stock Glock Trigger Spring.
    [​IMG]

Dave

11. BuckyP

BuckyP
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

Glad I could be of some help. :embarassed:

Con you post some pics?

12. Jellysick

Jellysick
    Expand Collapse

I'll have to get some this evening. I didn't snap any yet.

13. Jellysick

Jellysick
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see from this one, no visible damage externally:
    [​IMG]

14. Jellysick

Jellysick
    Expand Collapse

I also found out that in addition to the NY1 and "-" connector (which I guess is Ok, since its glock parts), that it definitely has the Glock 17 smooth trigger (which I guess, also Ok), but also has the Gen3 trigger bar. There is no dimple in the trigger bar as found on the Gen4....

Someone really went to town on this thing, and never even shot it.

Curious on everyone's thoughts, especially on the grinding marks. Thing is with that, I like the way the Gen4 frame fits and I had no intention of using backstraps. But, I'm not one to mutilate things like that. My gen3 grip plug fits so the grinding/filing can be hidden quite easily.

15. nraman

nraman
    Expand Collapse

Unless you got a good deal and you can live with the changes to the gun, return it.
    Altering the frame drops the resale value if you ever decided to sell it.

16. Jellysick

Jellysick
    Expand Collapse

I tried. Problem is he denied any refunds at this point. Almost as though he was unaware of these modifications. He went as far as blaming glock inc, which is ridiculous. He claims he bought it brand new and only changed the sights.

Trust me, I wish I would have purchased a new one locally at this point.

17. nraman

nraman
    Expand Collapse

While I don't doubt his honesty, it is his responsibility that he missed the alterations and inadvertently misrepresented what he was selling.
    He needs to do the right thing.

18. Jellysick

Jellysick
    Expand Collapse

I absolutely agree. I told him that as well. I don't know there is anything else to be done but keep it or sell it myself. In all honesty, I have no recourse at this point... So I was hoping to get some insight as to its condition and to confirm the frame modification is merely cosmetic as long as I'm ok with losing the backstrap functionality.

I have a new ejector coming that is stamped 30274, new 0-4-3 RSA, an OEM 5.5# connector and a new gen4 trigger bar with smooth trigger. Assuming the frame is cosmetic, I believe this will result in a completely stock gen 4 glock 19 (aside from night sights and the smooth trigger).

Thoughts?

19. cbird77

cbird77
    Expand Collapse

I agree - unless you got it dirt cheap keep it, this person owes it to you to refund your money.
    The internals can be changed but hacking up the cavity on the frame is a deal breaker, kind of hard to believe he didnt notice that.

20. HEXE9

HEXE9
    Expand Collapse
    Shootin' Fool

The seller knew exactly what he was doing, and it is just wrong.

If the seller refuses to refund your money, PLEASE let us know his username so we can all stay clear of dealing with him.