close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Strange discovery firefox memory

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by silentpoet, Oct 25, 2008.

1. silentpoet

silentpoet

Jan 11, 2007
    This Old Caddy
    I just found out that a new window seems to use less ram than a new tab in firefox. I need to do some more testing, but according to task manager and in windows 2000 a new window uses a significantly lower amount of ram than a new tab. Say 20-30 megs less. I need to be more thorough about seeing if this is right, but if so I am leaning towards going this way because new windows are more convenient than new tabs because you can alt tab between them.

2. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

Jan 13, 2002
    NE
    You can CTRL-Tab through tabs in Firefox. You can even customize the CTRL-Tab feature and make it look however you'd like. RAM is cheap. I'll give up a little RAM for a cleaner desktop.

3. An interesting point but a nearly a non issue today.

HMM, your point appears moot when considering most new computers have a resource of 2gb of RAM.

:dunno:

Video memory is used up by the second browser which is in a more limited but with 256MG of video memory again it is a moot point.

Your observations miss that point. ;)

4. silentpoet

silentpoet

Jan 11, 2007
    This Old Caddy
    This computer is not all that new. I do have a 256 MB graphics card, but only 512 of ram.