Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Straight Stock vs Pistol Grip for Remington 870 & Side Saddle

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by GlockPistola, Jan 17, 2013.

1. micdude

Apr 5, 2006
    I had the Knox stock on my 870 and went back to the straight stock. If your going to put a tube extension on your 870 buy the Wilson Combat one.
  2. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    I find this hard to believe. If you get hit in the face shooting anything you may want to find a new hobby. Get a good cheek weld and blast away. I have a limbsaver on my 870 and I don't have any issues with the recoil.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. rootbrain

rootbrain Mayan Priest

Dec 6, 2012
    Colorado, USA
    I bought and use the sure shot stock and grip and love it, both for clay and HD.

4. If you are talking about a pistol grip without the buttstock, it's not a good idea. You don't get the control and stability when firing if you are using a true pistol grip.

If you are talking about a pistol grip with a buttstock, that's pretty much personal preference. Oddly enough, the hand grip portion of a shotgun buttstock is referred to as the pistol grip.

The recoil reducers are cool and tactical, but in the event of clearing a jammed hull, slamming the buttstock on a hard surface won't work. The energy you are hoping to open the action will be absorbed by the energy reducing stock. That should be a rare event, but my first shot out of a brand new 870 Express Super Magnum did just that. I disassembled it and used a rod to get the stuck hull out. If I had been in a home defense situation, without the possibility of transitioning to a sidearm, I would have wanted to slam it on the floor.

I put a Magpul stock on my 870 SM, and it's really sweet. It has spacers to customize the length, and parts available for a higher cheek weld. I'll also use it for skeet, so I will be more accustomed to it.
  5. 4516

4516 On the Beach

Jun 18, 2012
    I have a side saddle, pistol grip, plus another pistol grip on the slide. The one on the slide has a pressure switch and a coiled spring cord going to a light under the barrel. It also has a shoulder sling. Use OO Buck and slugs.

Took a little bit to get used to, but I like it.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  6. GlockPistola

Jul 16, 2012
    Thanks for all the info guys. I went with a Magpul stock and forend, no pistol grip.
  7. dennis3dflyer

Feb 20, 2007
    I think it was cris costa of magpul , fame. That said he prefers straight , as turning shotgun sideways was easier to visualize chamber or ? , more natural than with a pistol grip,

8. I use the knoxx stock on mine. I like it. Never had an issue with getting smacked with it. A good cheek weld and solid grip will stop that. I like having the adjustable stock, allows me to shorten it with Tac gear on so I still have same length of pull (just like my rifle).