Straight Stock vs Pistol Grip for Remington 870 & Side Saddle

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by GlockPistola, Jan 17, 2013.

1. My new 870 Tactical Express (first shotgun) has the straight stock, no pistol grip. I was thinking of adding a pistol grip, but I'm not so sure. Both configurations feel comfortable. What are the pros and cons for each and which do you prefer? Also, I would like some recommendations on a side saddle.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 GlockPistola, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Where to buy a straight Mossberg stock for a 930 SPX? Tactical Shotguns Jun 13, 2014
    Anybody Own The Benelli M2 Straight Stock? Tactical Shotguns May 8, 2013
    Can Most LEOs Shoot Straight? Cop Talk Sunday at 2:31 PM
    B3 Straight-Liontribe Designs Edged Weapons & Related Items Jun 16, 2015
    Straight Talk now gives 5GB of LTE data The Okie Corral May 14, 2015

3. HK-N-THE-HOUSE

Silver Member

Straight....

4. It's a personal feel thing. For regular shotgun shooting I like the straight stock the best. When I'm doin swat team entry's (especially in a gas mask or scba) I like the pistol grip the best.

5. jame

jame mange takk

I like the straight stock best. The standard 870/1100 series shotguns are all I've ever used in the last 35 years, and it's just a normal thing for me.

6. Blast

Blast 'nuff said

Straight stock for me too. Pistol grip is fine for ARs and AKs, but for SGs, I like straight.

7. I've tried Pistol Grip stocks on my 870 and have gone back to the Hogue 12" LOP. I like Mesa for a side saddle.

8. glockman99

Millennium Member

This is how I have my Rem. 870 set up:
    [​IMG]

Knoxx/Blackhawk adjustable stock, with Hoque rubber forearm, +2 TacStar magazine extention, and TacStar ammo carrier.

#7 glockman99, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  9. 2-8 Marine

2-8 Marine Limp Member

I prefer my 870 with the straight stock but my personal need at the time is to shorten the gun to ease in transport, so pistol grip it is.

10. I prefer a pistol grip. It gives better control for me when using only 1 hand if I need to use the other hand for tasks.

11. I recently bought my first 870 and went through the same dilemma. After watching dozens of youtube reviews on the pistol grip stocks and people complaining about cheeks bleeding afterwards I stuck with the straight stock. However I did go with the magpul version.

[​IMG]

12. I went through the same dilemma when I bought my 870. Watch a ton of reviews on youtube and just didnt like how the pistol grip cause the recoil to go up rather than back like the straight stock. Ended up going with the magpul stock version.

uploadfromtaptalk1358567757184.jpg

Try and find some at a store and see which version you like the best by actually handling it.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

13. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

I like the speedfeed iv-s a lot. It is a shorter lop pistol grip. I feel it has better retention and overall feel.

I would avoid sidesaddles and look at Velcro shotgun cards. Put a patch of female Velcro on the side of shotgun and have 4-5 loaded cards. When you empty one rip it off and slap on another.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. Tango 1Zero

Millennium Member

Straight, I have had pistol grip stocks that side fold. Still like the straight stock.

15. My wife put one of these on her 870 Express. Pretty sweet.

16. Poohgyrr

Poohgyrr trout fear me!

I was taught to push the safety button on the straight stock, using my strong hand index finger and thumb. Simple and easy.

Can't do that with the pistol grip. And the pistol grip can get hung up on things.

17. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

A pistol grip doesn't change the safety position.... I manipulate it with side of index finger and thumb. Very easy

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

18. Poohgyrr

Poohgyrr trout fear me!

Yours must be different than ours. That would be great, because the ones we had definitely needed improvement.

19. Yeah, I've been hearing a lot of complains about hits to the face, especially with the Blackhawk Knoxx SpecOps pistol grip stock. Others complain about all the recoil going to the wrist with a pistol grip and less accuracy. There must be a reason why competitive shotgun shooters use straight stock. I am leaning more towards the straight stock. How do you like this Magpul vs the OEM stock?

#18 GlockPistola, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  20. For a normal length shotgun, I prefer straight. On an SBS, I'd rather have the pistol grip. IMHO.

DH

21. glockman99

Millennium Member

This is with the version that has the recoil reduction system in it (upon recoil, with this system, the WHOLE shotgun recoils back into the stock)...I have the version without the recoil reduction system, and have NO problems with this stock.