Storing Rice and Beans - Long Term

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by UneasyRider, May 11, 2011.

1. I put another 300 pounnds of rice and 80 pounds of beans into long term storage today. It's scary how easy it is with the right tools and good technique to zip through the process of long term storage. I had a great time of it and it feels so good to put it away. Anybody else really enjoy doing your own storage?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I would be interested in what is required for long term , i always thought they would store without any special preparation.

3. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

+1 I thought it just needed to be air tight and dry

4. We use mylar bags in plastic 5 gal buckets with Gamma lids. We pull a vacuum on it, throw in a couple of oxygen absorbers and heat seal the bag.

5. was that 11 or 12 buckets?

6. WOW!:wow: Another 300 lbs???? How much rice you got stored?

7. For best results I use a 5 gallon bucket with a 20 X 30 mylar bag inside it. Once it is full I use a hot jaw clamp on "hi" to seal across the top of the bag from seam to seam leaving about 8 inches open. Once I have done that to all of my bags I toss an oxygen absorber into each one then I seal the bags the rest of the way.

Having no oxygen means no bacteria or bugs can live inside the bag, the bucket keeps out any insects or rodents that could chew their way through the bag and also keeps out light which would heat up the food and decrease it's life expectancy.

8. No it was 10 five gallon buckets, 8 for rice and 2 for beans. The rice was a perfect fit and I had about 4 pounds of beans left over for immediate use. I like brown rice best so I like the fact that I can store 6 bags of 50 pounds each from Sams with none left over.

I would have needed 11 to store all of the beans but I didn't want to store such a small amount of them, good guess.

9. how long can you expect brown rice to last and not go rancid?

10. Not enough! This is my second time doing 300 pounds of rice from Sams and I plan on storing a lot more. Keeping it indoors in the low 70 degrees I am confident that my rice, wheat and beans will outlive me if I don't need them. It gives me that warm fuzzy feeling just knowing that my family will eat in the event of an interuption of food distribution.

These foods provide lot's of calories for very little money, I really like having them in my inventory. :cool:

11. I don't store brown rice for just that reason but I really like it and that is what we buy to eat day to day. White rice is ok if I can't have brown so I store it but am glad not to have any white left over so I don't have to eat it until I need it.

12. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

good post...tagged for info

13. Thank you very much for the reply.

14. No problem. One thing that I did not mention is that the oxygen absorbers need to be used quickly and then any extra need to be stored in an enclosed container. You can use a mason jar but I use a heavy bag and an 8 inch bag clamp. I buy these in large packs because it's cheaper so saving the unused ones is important to me. They come with a pink "pill" that changes color when it has absorbed it's fill of oxygen telling you that your absorbers are bad so it's pretty hard to screw up.

15. ifollow the same method as uneasyrider stated. 5G buckets from the wal-mart bakery and 20x30" mylar bags with 2000cc O2 obsorbers. i store white rice, flour, split peas, great northern beans, small red beans, and macaroni this way. i store sugar in buckets as well but only seal it in mylar with no obsorbers.

im on my way to dehydrating frozen corn and peas to store this way as well. when dehydrated, should be able to get the equivilent of 75-80lbs of frozen veggies in each bucket. probably going to do some potato dices or shreds as well but we will see. still trying to perfect my dehydrating.

16. I like your post, it's a good time isn't it. I drop a dessicant in with my baking supplies, salt and sugar just in a 5 gallon bucket with no bag. Of course I labled everything with item and date stored for later. I would like to do some pasta and the potatoes, let me know how the spuds turn out please.

17. Next month I start my storage.

18. Ahh yes.. the beauty of buckets and mylar..

25 buckets make their way home..

[​IMG]

we are working on 175 buckets of dry storage..

we store rice, black beans, pintos, lentils, wheat(s), corn, popcorn, sugar, brown sugar and rolled oats in buckets.

#18 SFCSMITH(RET), May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
  19. Good for you! Check this out and if you have any questions let me know, it's really easy if you know what to buy and how to use it.

I fill up the bag and then bounce it up and down several times to settle the food.
    [​IMG]

This guy is putting his oxygen absorbers in before clamping part of the seal. I think that it is better to clamp most of each of your bags and then to insert oxygen absorbers all of your to minimize oxygen absorber exposure to the air.
    [​IMG]

This is how I set up the bags before I put in the oxygen absorbers, I leave a little wider opening. This way I just make a last clamp or two and am done quick.
    [​IMG]

Then in the last photo you make the final seal. It's important to fold the bag down and get as much air out as possible.
    [​IMG]

Once you put your O2 absorbers into each of your bags you need to seal the extras up pronto in a small jar or a heavy plastic bag like they come in. I use the hot jaw clamp on the bag and it works.

This guy could put more rice in his bucket, I would. The picture is of a hot jaw clamp, 5 gallon buckets and a 20x30 mylar bag (probably a 4.6) since it's going into a bucket and 1,500 to 2,000 oxygen absorbers.

Lot's of options and info here:
    http://www.sorbentsystems.com/longtermfoodstorage.html

#19 UneasyRider, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
  20. so far ive done a 2lb bag of frozen dices on my dehydrator and then vacuum sealed it. it shrank down to about 2 cups or there about. i ate one of them straight out of the dehydrator and it had the consistancy of a potato chip but tasted like raw potato. i placed a spoon full of them in a bowl of boiling water to sit and it popped right back up to normal potato diced consistancy. i will be doing this again probably this weekend on ascale large enough to cook hashbrowns for breakfast. will give teh final thumbs up then. ive stored quite a few lbs of instant mashed potatoes but this seems to be similar and have closer results to tasting like real potatoes. frozen veggies can be fairly cheap as well if you shop around.