close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Storing my 1911 loaded

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by WWJBD, Nov 19, 2012.

1. WWJBD

WWJBD

Jan 3, 2007
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    I like to keep my Springfield Trophy match loaded in my nightstand.

But a "friend" of mine was arguing with me that I shouldn't keep it cocked and locked...something about wearing the springs out keeping it cocked. (Sounds like Bull**** to me)

I have always kept it fully loaded with a Wilson 8 rounder, 1 in the pipe, hammer cocked, safety on....

What do you guys do?

2. raziel52000

raziel52000

Nov 2, 2007
    Kansas City
    It is bull. Springs wear out from repeated cycles and not from steady state compression. You have nothing to worry about.

3. WWJBD

WWJBD

Jan 3, 2007
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Ya that's pretty much what I thought.

I have kept it that way for a couple of years now, and i have yet to have a malfunction with it, or any problem whatsoever.

1150 rounds and counting.

4. raziel52000

raziel52000

Nov 2, 2007
    Kansas City
    Glad everything is working good for you. It is a common misconception about springs that I like to nip in the bud whenever possible (usually people bring it up with keeping magazines loaded).

I've been lurking around these 1911 forums a lot lately and still have yet to pull the trigger on buying one. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards a Sig Sauer Tacops TB whenever I finally get around to it.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  5. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sep 30, 2006
    Wont hurt a thang! I keep all mine that are off body in Condition 3. That way if anyone in the family needs a gun all they have to do is grab one and run the slide. Glocks and HK LEM and my TLE.

6. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    This. Just as the good Lord intended. :cool:

7. Unk

Unk

Jul 27, 2010
    West Central FL
    Whether its on your hip or nightstand, your pistol and its springs don't know... or care.

Chambered, cocked, safety on.

8. WWJBD

WWJBD

Jan 3, 2007
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    :cheers:

9. MajorD

MajorD

Aug 16, 2010
    there have been cases of people finding 1911's in condition one stored in such a way that it is likely they were in that condition for decades, and they functioned perfectly.
    not going to hurt a thing to keep it loaded and ready all the time.

10. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    Agree. At worst slap a new spring in it every five years or so, cost all of $6-8 and takes 5 mins :)

11. 1911Tuner

1911Tuner

Feb 24, 2003
    North Carolina
    In 1991, I was personally involved with a Colt Commercial Government Model that had been stored in an attic fully loaded in Condition One since the death of its owner...in 1929.
    After clearing the chamber and giving it a cursory check, I reloaded it and fired it 7 times to slidelock.

12. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
  13. I used to be concerned about these things but it's just not worth the effort. In fact I was shooting with a friend that hadn't had his Ruger P90 out in over a decade. Both mags fully loaded, gun pretty much bone dry and it ran like a top. The only problem that arose was the warning stickers on the magazines were bunched up and wouldn't allow them to go into the gun before peeling them off. I keep a couple of old 1911 mags loaded with 230gr ball in addition to what I carry with the gun stashed in the car, nightstand etc... Mags are cheap, buy lots and throw them out when they don't work.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012