Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

storing calcium hypochlorite

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by M1A Shooter, May 13, 2011.

1. finally picked up a couple lbs of calcium hypochlorite to have on hand if needed to make bleach for various reasons to include water treatment. as many warning as i see about it being corrosive and possible out-gassing, im curious as tohow you guys store it? it comes in a plastic bag but it smells like chlorine and i would prefer to be able to store it airtight to keep the fumes and such down. it will be stored in my garage which is detached from my house and not insulated but decently ventilated.

have been thinking of vacuum sealing it? or sealing it in a mason jar but that concerns me wth the oxidizing of the lid... not really sure.
  2. TheBigCroaker

Oct 15, 2010
    I vacuum-sealed sealed mine in plastic with my Food Saver.

3. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    Tagged to hear the best answer.
  4. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Aug 8, 2004
    Have you noticed if the bags started to inflate in anyway?
  5. NCwriter

NCwriter Senior Member

6. TheBigCroaker

Oct 15, 2010
    only been about a month but no problems, no bags inflating.
  7. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    I missed this post originally.

Got a pound of CH and threw in a drawer for, I think, two days. Maybe three. Whoof, big stink. Even though the original still-sealed bag was that super tuff plastic (tyvek?).

Who knows what corrosion it started in my drawer, and I've been airing out the drawer for 4 days now.

I think I'll try to FoodSaver seal mine, too, and keep it in a 2-gallon plastic bucket with lid.

Dang, you do NOT want to store this stuff near anything important. I'm sure it's highly corrosive.
    Last edited: May 27, 2012