close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Store owner arrested for pulling gun on customer, threatening to shoot him

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by TBO, Jul 3, 2012.

1. smokin762

smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Every coin has two sides.

2. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Jul 4, 2000
    Waynesboro, VA
  3. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    Yes, but hardly the level where a weapon needs to be deployed. That just escalates the situation. Call the PD.

4. dosei

dosei

Mar 22, 2005
    Upstate SC
    Do stupid things...win stupid prizes.

When one decides to carry a gun, they often wonder where to put it. A good place to start is by first throwing away arrogance and ignorance. Once you stop carrying those around, it's easier to find a place for the gun.

5. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Jul 4, 2000
    Waynesboro, VA
    Or, the customer escalated the situation. No way of knowing from the outside how heated the "conversation" got before the store owner felt the need to draw. The customer might have been cool, calm, and collected. Or he might have been on the verge of taking physical action against the store owner.

And, one punch can be fatal.......

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  6. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Jul 4, 2000
    Waynesboro, VA
    [​IMG]
    By dscotthewitt at 2012-06-28

+87 on the "making room" part.

7. HandyMan Hugh

HandyMan Hugh NRA Life Member

May 17, 2002
    Hallstead, PA
    Mr. Sanoma is not only rude, but he has way too short a fuse. He should not be in contact with the public and he should not have access to firearms. Fortunately, the law might well correct both problems soon. That's just my .50 worth.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  8. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Jul 4, 2000
    Waynesboro, VA
    Except, the only side of the story we can get from the outside is coming from the other person in the argument.......

9. lmfao! :rofl:

10. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    I'll give you that, taking the article at face value, but the guy better have a good case that his life was threatened. Guess that'll come out in court.

Wren

11. lawson12

lawson12

May 26, 2012
    Whatever happened to the customer always being right?:supergrin:

12. Open cellphone would have prevented this.

13. magiaaron

magiaaron Low Speed Ops

May 27, 2008
    Indiana
    That's pretty interesting. I wonder what the full story is. As was said, if you take the article at face value, that store owner is probably in some deep manure. It does make me wonder, however, exactly what transpired.

The big thing to note is how important the concept of "complainant = victim" is. If the owner felt his life was threatened enough to pull a firearm, he should have called the police. Had he, I imagine that things could have turned out differently.

14. Misty02

Misty02

Aug 25, 2008
    Florida
    Yeap. It would have gone quite differently if the store owner had been the one to call the police and have the customer arrested for trespassing since he acknowledges he was told to leave and refused to do so.

It appears people that carry are more in tune with trespassing laws than the general population. Most people we know, who are not into firearms, don’t seem to understand that one very well and believe they can stand there and refuse to leave until their problem is resolved.

We had that argument some time ago with a stubborn friend (birds of a feather and all that) who after a long dragged discussion agreed it would be trespassing for us because we were armed but not for him and no one but a police officer could force him to vacate an establishment open to the public. We kept trying to explain none of us could stay after being told to leave, the difference in charges could be trespass for him and possibly armed trespass for us, but the trespass part applied equally.

Next time we saw him I had printed material that demonstrated otherwise and he finally conceded with “I can’t believe I can be arrested because someone doesn’t resolve a problem they’re obligated to fix!” I’m stubborn too and wasn’t about to let it go so easily, plus, we didn’t want our friend arrested one day because he didn’t know when to give up, count his loses and address his problem another day or over the phone with supervisors.

15. jph02

jph02

Jun 10, 2012
    Michigan
    Actually, that was the whole problem! The customer couldn't figure out how to open his cellphone battery compartment.

Bingo! At the very least, better to have trespass charges filed against a customer than to be charged with pulling a gun on your customers. :shakehead:

16. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    In this case, it seems like a right exercised is a right that's about to be lost...

Randy

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  17. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Dec 28, 2006
    Green Country
    IMO.............as the number of folks who have CCP's grows, the larger the number of knotheads will become. The folks who got their permits sooner rather than later IMO... are those who know how to use a gun......and when not to.

Those who are recent newcomers to the game may be among those not quite familiar with what to do with or how to use a gun. In other words.............knotheads.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  18. Misty02

Misty02

Aug 25, 2008
    Florida
    Some of us newcomers have gone out of our way to learn as quickly as humanly possible. I have a feeling you are likely to find knotheads in either sector. I don’t see the correlation between common sense and being a long term gun owner.

19. TDC20

TDC20

Apr 11, 2011
    I have to wonder what actually transpired, too. PO'd customer could have made up a story to get even with the rude store owner. There are 3 sides to the story. Places like this usually have security video. If it exists, that will probably be the deciding factor.

Contrary to popular belief, the customer isn't always right. If he is in this case, the store owner is in deep doo-doo.