close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Stopping Power and War

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by DonGlock26, Jun 8, 2012.

1. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Jan 18, 2001
    I'm watching "The Pacific" mini-series by HBO (excellent) and stumbled across this eyewitness account of a Japanese soldier shot many, many times with small arms fire as he attempted to close with the Marines.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARSvPDoJag"]The Pacific: Anatomy of a War (HBO) - YouTube[/ame]

2:58

To me, it kind of puts stopping power in perspective. If you face a truly determined foe, you may need multiple hits until you hit the CNS. Even the heart is iffy for a while. Food for thought.

_

2. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    I have heard of duct taped and drugged VC fighters taking huge amounts of lead.

3. John Biltz

John Biltz

Jul 27, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Go read some accounts what people did to earn Medal of Honors.

4. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    Agreed......though it's only fair to point out your average thug isn't likely as committed as the battle crazed, starved, delusional Japanese soldier with literally nothing to lose.
    Still, anything's possible and anyone worth shooting is worth shooting 'well'.

5. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    Happened earlier in history . The Philippines ,the US Army had this super new pistol,Colt double action in 38 cal. . They weren't working to well against drugged up warriors so the Colt SAA were pressed back into service,the 45 colt performed better after all it was originally used to put horses down.
    For more information

http://mandirigma.org/?p=889
    SJ 40

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  6. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

May 21, 2011
    North-Central Florida
    Our military uses FMJ ammo. If they used Gold Dots, they'd have better stopping power. Hollowpoints do violate a treaty.

I just don't understand such rules in war. Isn't that kind of like getting in a street fight and discussing rules first?

7. glock20c10mm

glock20c10mm

Dec 4, 2004
    Out West
    Definitely food for thought. But I believe there is a bigger picture to look at this from.

Somehow some people over most others cheat specific, normally deadly or incapacitating, experiences, either completely, or for more time than is normally expected.

Most people die after being struck by lightning. Some, after even multiple strikes over time, don't.

Being immersed in truly frigid water for some amount of time will put most people into hypothermia, eventually killing them. Other seem to be able to shrug it off for far too long than we would normally expect.

Excessive heat will give most people heat stroke in whatever amount of time. Some people break the rules and endure the heat others didn't, at least for longer than would be thought possible.

And then there are shootings like you brought up.

In self defense, when it comes to stopping a "determined" adversary, it's all about planning for the worst and hoping for the best within the parameters capable at the time. If things go as one would hope, some foes succumb in one way or another fairly quickly, where others seem more machine than human.

Like you said; "If you face a truly determined foe, you may need multiple hits until you hit the CNS." I agree. And then there are other aspects we can control for a hopeful best outcome depending on each individuals belief of what can or won't help, including things like:

1) Choosing JHP over FMJ.

2) Practicing proficiency with whatever weapon is chosen.

3) Choose the most powerful load that is still practical.

4) Carry as much ammo as practical.

And so on.

A little luck never hurts either. Though that isn't so easily controlled.

8. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Somebody asked me once why my "truck gun" was a Marlin in 45/70? I told him "well if I have to stop the truck, get out and shoot something....I'd like it to stay shot"

Just a little FWIW.

9. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    If they had a 10mm back then, the war would have been over with one shot!

10MM....One shot..... One war! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

:tongueout::tongueout:

10. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

Nov 14, 2010
    RFD NY Adks
    War: wound your enemy, and you take out 3 soldiers- the one wounded, and 2 to carry him.

Kill him and the other 2 will be trying to get you. (at least, so I hear.)

On the street you probably won't have your squad to back you up.

11. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    The Hague Convention of 1899 Declaration III basically banned the HP bullets for wartime however modern bullet design is starting to skirt around the "rules". http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/dec99-03.asp

As far as I am concerned the only rules of war are that THERE ARE NO RULES. I would have told them to stick their treaty up their ass. So many people in Europe thought you control everything with rules and regs although that setiment has since spread throughout the world including here in the states.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  12. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    I have always wondered why we don't junk the Hauge Convention. Fight to win. There are other treaties that try to cover the rules of war, and we ignore them, such as the ban on use of incindieries. We stockpile nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons, and will burn enemy cities to the ground, but ban bullets that work. :faint:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  13. Hokiegrass

Hokiegrass

Apr 12, 2011
    Minden, NV
    So true... if you shoot a platoon leader with a 10mm, the rest of the platoon dies as well...:supergrin:

14. Mr Spock

Mr Spock Vulcan

Jan 6, 2008
    Of all enemies we fought in WWII, the Japanese were an anomaly. The average German or Italian soldier did not want to fight any more than anyone else, and in most cases did not have a problem surrendering to American troops if in a hopeless situation. The Japanese, on the other hand, were more likely to shoot until they ran out of ammo and either charge with a knife or hug a live grenade rather than surrender. Fighting an enemy that believes in their cause that greatly put another layer of horror into play for troops in the Pacific theatre. The Japanese were certainly one of the best modern equivalents of what it would have been like to fight the Spartans or Vikings in their days.

These are a people who were developing suicide scuba divers in the event of an invasion on the Japanese mainland... Their goal would have been to get beside a ship and blow themselves up.

15. Jeff82

Jeff82 NRA Benefactor CLM

Feb 25, 2002
    USofA!
    Wives' tale.

Soldiers are trained to finish the fight then take care of wounded. Medics, if available, will work on the wounded before the fight is over.

16. dannym

dannym Kill 'Em All

Feb 27, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    I like the part where the jap had the top half of his skull blown off and that gi is tossing pebbles into it to pass the time.... That's a great series. I liked it more than Band of Brothers.

17. professorpinki

professorpinki Bumbling idjit

Jun 4, 2012
    . Then they come back to shoot and fight later with all the learning from having been blowned up or shot in the first place. (Hopefully they learned something anyways. Sometimes it's just poor luck.)

18. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    And the guy the drone strike killed was a US citizen. Don't get me wrong the guy was a POS but I have a problem with sneaking into a country and executing a citizen of our country. Now they want to fly drones over US soil.

Google Roufoss Mk211. It is a .50cal round that can go through a block wall at over a 1 mile away and make hamburger out of anyone or anything on the other side. It make a .500sw JHP look like a BB gun.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012