close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Stopping AppleTalk w/ Debian

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by mfackler, Jul 13, 2005.

1. I promise I will figure most of this out on my own, BUT! I am brand new to Debian. (have fooled around with RH) I Just built a system that dual boots Win XP Pro and Debian Sarge. Everything works great. (It was actually pretty EZ) Anyway Debian starts up "apple talk." It even says it may take a while and it does! I don't have an Apple on my net. I assume I don't need this service running and it sure would save some boot time.

Like I said I promise I will RTFM but for now could someone please assist me in finding a way to turn this service off? RH would have used chkconf (I think) but apparently not Debian? Any pointers would be appreciated.

2. That will not remocve configuration files for that

apt-get --purge appletalk

to reconfigure without removing

dpkg-reconfigure appletalk

maybe

dpkg-reconfigure appletalk-simple

3. You most likely just want to remove appletalk altogether,for that

apt-get --purge appletalk

4. aspartz

aspartz

Oct 19, 2000
    Sandstone, MN 55072
    In fedora, the package you would get rid of is netatalk, not appletalk. YMMV

ARS

5. Thanks a million "apt-get --purge netatalk" did the trick. Now it's time for me to do some learning with/about debian.

Mike