close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Stopped for OC. Just know your rights.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by gunslinger3, Jun 23, 2012.

1. gunslinger3

gunslinger3 Μολὼν λαβέ

Dec 17, 2009
    pacific northwest
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfdEbe7e9GE&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfdEbe7e9GE&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

:whistling:

2. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    This is GT member boyscout399.

Please abide by all the GT rules when discussing his encounter...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

3. CigarandScotch

CigarandScotch Fartacus

Sep 22, 2011
    Naw Cackalacky
    Sounds like he was well versed in the precedents set by relevant court decisions. Sad that most would not be so prepared in such a scenario, and would therefore be unlawfully detained and/or harassed just for exercising their rights. You have to be prepared to paddle your own canoe (upstream) to avoid the pitfalls of being harassed like this.

This is just one of reasons I would not open carry.

And I am not a cop basher; I do see both sides of this issue and they have jobs to do. Some nosy nanny obviously called the cops because they saw a bad scary gun in a holster and the police were obliged to look into it. I think both parties handled themselves professionally.

4. IhRedrider

IhRedrider Not a walker

Mar 28, 2011
    School was in session. It's shame when LEOs are not aware of what is and isn't illegal.

5. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Sep 20, 2003
    Penn's Woods
    :shocked: Do you think the politicians we’re up against are stupid? If, in the first place, they are smart enough to get themselves elected then they’re, also, smart enough to know how to successfully manipulate and manage, ‘open carry idiots’ too.

THE OVERWHELMING MAJORITY OF THE GENERAL PUBLIC SEES OPEN CARRY AS A PERSONAL THREAT TO, BOTH, THEMSELVES AND THEIR FAMILIES.

Antagonistic politicians know this. This is the real reason, ‘Why’ civilian open carry of sidearms is regularly included in weapons laws that anti-Second Amendment politicos are compelled to allow through the legislative process. Every shrewd politico knows that any ingenuous gun-toting jackass who’s dumb enough to walk around in an urban environment sporting an exposed pistol is, ultimately, only going to hurt - rather than help - his own intellectual right to keep and bear arms.

Truthfully I really don’t care what the ingenuous jackasses of this world do with their guns; but, I do care about what their ill-considered social behaviors might ultimately force me to do with mine. I’ll tell you something: I’m an old man; and, in my day, I’ve seen a lot of political shenanigans. Hear me well: If THIS is, ‘the best that we’ve got’ then we are definitely our own worst enemies and already thoroughly screwed. (Which we just might be, anyway; but I just thought I’d mention it. Comprende?) :upeyes:

6. CigarandScotch

CigarandScotch Fartacus

Sep 22, 2011
    Naw Cackalacky
    Ironic that open carry jeopardizes our rights (as gun owners) so much more than concealed carry. Out of sight is out of mind.

If the "gun fearing public" knew how many concealed weapons were around them, lawfully or otherwise...well, let's just hope they never know.

7. gunslinger3

gunslinger3 Μολὼν λαβέ

Dec 17, 2009
    pacific northwest
    :nailbiting:

Yes. I don't think they realize they may be standing right next to a loaded firearm while waiting in line at the grocery store.....

8. CigarandScotch

CigarandScotch Fartacus

Sep 22, 2011
    Naw Cackalacky
    I feel better knowing that if someone breaks bad, he may just get capped by an armed grandma.

9. Chris Brines

Chris Brines

Feb 11, 2012
    Houston
    Awesome. Now I feel like I know a famous person. I've posted that video in about 4 local gun forums lol....

10. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    This could have been prevented by concealed carry.

11. jpa

jpa CLM

May 28, 2001
    Las Vegas NV
    Any follow-up after the incident? Did the Sgt on scene say or do anything? Did the OCer complain up the chain of command?

12. DaneA

DaneA

Mar 7, 2011
    Chattanooga
    TN law states that:
    So in the case of the video, if this guy was in TN he would be in violation of the law for not providing his permit/ID and the officer would not need any cause for the stop?

13. IhRedrider

IhRedrider Not a walker

Mar 28, 2011

I'm just curious, where have gathered this piece of information? I have OCed and not experienced anything to even give me the impression that anyone but 2 people were the least bit concerned that I was carrying. in fact I've had a order of magnitude more say something positive about me carrying. And the two people, one a 20ish year old girl and one a 40ish cop, after they initiated the conversation and we talked, at the end of the conversation no longer seemed to have an issue. Much less a indication that I was a threat to anyone. Maybe I live in a more reasonable state than others.

14. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sep 30, 2006
    How do you demand ID/Permit if you don't stop the person? I'm not tracking your train of though here.

15. beatcop

beatcop

Aug 13, 2003
    New England
    You will always find some cop to play with and make a video citing case law...if that's what your goal is. I would like to think that any LE response has the goal of addressing a public safety concern, rather than discouraging permissable behavior.

1. Frequency of conduct
    2. Caller's description of event
    3. Demeanor of actor

16. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Does that law refer to permitted concealed carry?

If TN is an open carry state, don't think that would apply.

Randy

17. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Here is boyscout399's original post on OCDO.
    To date he has not posted about any reply.

18. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Hmmmm. Almost a month ago. Wonder what that means?

19. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Republic of Texas
    Great, another one of these videos.

I tend to side with police. I know that if they truly violate my rights and take away my freedom there's some lawyer that'll take my case pro bono.

Why don't these guys ever join the force to try to improve it?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012