close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Stoeger double defense. How hard does it kick for a female shooter?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by alfred10, Feb 10, 2010.

1. alfred10

alfred10

May 18, 2008
    How hard does the stoeger double defense kick with tactical 00 buck? Might get my gf to get one...

2. It will kick just as hard for a female shooter as it does for a male shooter.

There are 2 parts to recoil, the calculated recoil and the felt recoil. Calculated recoil has to do with the physics of the gun weight and ammunition. Felt recoil is very subjective and has a lot to do with how the gun fits you.

I haven't fired the Stoeger double defense, but their cowboy action guns are pretty brutal with heavy buckshot loads.

If you are going to get one for the GF, I'd suggest a diet of low recoil buckshot.

3. B Coyote

B Coyote

Jul 3, 2001
    NW Indiana
    I agree. You may even find you like the low recoil stuff for yourself, too.

bc

4. alfred10

alfred10

May 18, 2008
    Which low recoil stuff? Do they have low recoil 3 inch shells that have alot of pellets? How about federal tactical low recoil buck shot? How can a side by side be accuret since you aim between the two barrels?

5. B Coyote

B Coyote

Jul 3, 2001
    NW Indiana
    I use Winchester Ranger Low Recoil shells, all of which are 2 3/4". I'm not aware of any 3" low recoil...it kinda defeats itself.

bc

6. novaDAK

novaDAK

Apr 17, 2006
    I use the same.

7. Dr. J Frame

Dr. J Frame LSWCHP +P

May 8, 2004
    sticks
    The barrels are ported. I felt the recoil was quite manageable and replaced the recoil pad with a metal butt-plate. We are still talking about defensive 00-buck though, so it's going to naturally recoil much greater than a skeet/trap load of course.
    They make it in 20ga also which makes and excellent defensive choice as well.
    It seems that 9-pellet 2 3/4" does just fine. Standard issue for our military too. And reduced recoil versions carry plenty of energy for home protection.
    The rib is attached to the barrel just like it is on a conventional shotgun, only difference being that it's mounted at roughly the 10 & 2 o'clock positions instead of the 12. All I know is that both barrels hit where I aim them.

[​IMG]

8. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Jul 19, 2004
    Oregon
    My little 20G coach gun 3 inch, is no problem firing one barrel at a time. Several women have shot it without a hitch. Both barrels at the same time is like a 416 rigby without a recoil pad.

9. method

method

Mar 27, 2002
    Cleveland, OH
    The barrels are regulated to have similar points of impact at a given distance. That is, the barrels do not lie perfectly parallel to one another, they will be a little closer together at the muzzle than they are at the breech. So, instead of shooting straight out, each barrel shoots at a slight inward angle, and those shots will cross paths at a certain distance. I would guess that a coach gun is regulated at about 20 yards.

10. I use a Stoeger 12ga. coach gun for SASS shooting with
    skeet loads and it kicks, but I'm 230 lbs. so it's not bad.
    I would not suggest it for my wife to shoot.
    Just a thought, but we were talking on another thread about
    this and this is just my opinion, but if I were going to get my
    lady a shotgun for HD, I would take a good look at a Rem 870
    or Mossberg youth model 20 ga. pump. They are light and
    easier to handle and with 5 shots, one barrel, one trigger, in my
    opinion are easier to learn how to shoot. Just my 2 cents.
    If you or she opt for the double, get the 20ga. and the aforementioned
    reduced recoil or tactical loads. A 20 will do the job fine.

11. :wavey: If your friend has trouble with recoil and is willing to consider other types of actions, she may like a reminigton model 1100 shotgun 12 gauge or 20 gauge.

12. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

Jan 23, 2010
    Shreveport, La.
    She'll handle it just fine if the mental part doesn't bother Her... Lighter weight People actually don't get hit with the same poundage of recoil that a heavier Person does, because their lighter body isn't resisting the gun movement as much as a more stationary body... My Family and I shoot heavy recoiling rifles on a regular basis, and it is something that You can certainly get used to... Woman shoot double rifles on the Safari all the time, so physically She'll be fine once She learns it won't hurt Her...

13. Better check with Sir Isak Newton , he keeps telling me that for every action there is a opposite and equal reaction.

14. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

Jan 23, 2010
    Shreveport, La.
    Very true, but a heavier shooter makes that reaction happen in a shorter duration of time... Punch a 40 lbs. punching bag, then punch an 80lbs. bag with the same force and then compare which bag moves the least but hurts the most...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  15. mike55

mike55

May 17, 2006
    Central KY
    If recoil is an issue the softest recoil will come from a semi auto with a ported barrel and reduced recoil ammo if it will reliably work the action.