close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Stoeger Coach Gun for HD?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by a_tack, Jan 30, 2009.

1. a_tack

a_tack

Apr 6, 2008
    Kentucky
    Would it work? I am supposed to pick up my mossberg 500 perduader soon, but noticed a stoeger coach gun for the same price.... hmm... what to do, what to do...

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    I think it would be a great idea.
    I would stash a few extra shells about the house.

3. a_tack

a_tack

Apr 6, 2008
    Kentucky
    im seriously debating it. I'm not much into tacti-cool shotguns, I mean I like the mossberg and everything, but I really like the SxS stoeger too...

4. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Dec 16, 1999
    Minnesota
    While I also kinda want a double barrel exposed hammer. While it would be nice the advantages of a pump outweigh the "fun factor" of a double barrel.
    On a double you fire one rd you only have one left. You can NOT reload without taking it out of service. (on a pump you can fire one/pump and reload the shell fired with gun still in "action")

5. Apocalypse_Now

Apocalypse_Now Molon Labe

Jan 29, 2006
    The Outer Limits
    I love the old west guns, heck I'm on a kick collecting flintlocks and even lusting after a Scottish matchlock musket

But not for self defense.. why hamstring yourself with only two shots in the face of criminal scum?

Use a pump or semi auto. If you're not into tactical stuff, use a simple short barrel semi.. even 5 shots of that is a far cry from two shots

6. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

May 20, 2000
    Tennessee
    A double barrel can be very effective. I wouldn't be scared to rely on one. I would get a cheap shell holder for the stock, and practice, practice, practice.

7. New2GT

New2GT

Nov 9, 2003
    Ha, I was fondling one in Gander Mt last night wondering the same thing. The small size would make them great in close quarters.

I imagine in 12ga it would kick like a motherfer though. It would work, but IMO there are better options.

8. Waters47

Waters47 B/CO 2-506CIR

Feb 1, 2009
    NOR*EAS*CO
    I would definitely get the Mossberg. I have owned a Stoeger and they are just not that great. I would much rather have my Mossberg 590 with 8 buckshots ready to rock&roll than have just two.

9. Why? :dunno:

10. The NRA stats on home intrusions indicate only one shot being fired during the fray. So why not? :supergrin: :cool:

I have one H&R single shot 12 ga with a side saddle affair on one side of the butt stock and three shells on the other hollowed out side of the Choate camp stock. And two Mossberg 500's with side saddles and one has a speed feed butt stock too. ;)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  11. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd

Feb 17, 2008
    I didn't have the statistics, but I figured that most home invasions resulting in defensive use of a shotgun were fairly brief exchanges. As it turns out, the average number of shots fired is 1. While a double barrel has less fire-power than a pump or auto, it's twice what you'd need on average.

12. Apocalypse_Now

Apocalypse_Now Molon Labe

Jan 29, 2006
    The Outer Limits
    This makes no sense, whatsover.. you never know how many attackers or what firepower you will need. if anyone insists on a double barrel shotgun for HD, you had better have a higher cap major caliber handgun to back it up

Since a good 12 GA pump costs no more than a DB, I do not see the "logic" in a double barrel..

13. On an average day you won't need your gun at all so why have it?

I don't keep self defense guns loaded for average days, I keep them loaded for very exceptional days when everything goes wrong.

If a double barreled shotgun is all you have it will work pretty well for home defense.

If you are buying a gun for home defense, a pump action shotgun with an 18"-20" barrel holding 5-8 shots is a much better choice than a double barreled shotgun.

14. ccrobbins

ccrobbins Glocks are good

Nov 7, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    I recently went through this very same question my self. I ended up getting a 500 mariner only because all of the coach gun or condor outbacks I could find had double triggers. For me that is a non issue but the wife needs as little as possible to muck up the works. She was very familiar with a pump and had no clue why a gun needs two triggers.....

.02, don't spend it all in one place!

15. gunsablazin

gunsablazin

Nov 1, 2007
    You answered your question, get the double, it will do its part if you do yours. The buttstock shellholder mentioned in a previous post would be a very good idea, along with practice. You should be plenty well armed.

16. DANGELO

DANGELO

Dec 24, 2005
    Old Lyme, CT
    Played with one back when I was on the west coast. Given normal 'property ranges' are less than 100ft where we were living, the thing was sweet with BB loadings, but was a bit ruff with 00 & 000 buck.

No matter what anyone says, you still have to aim ANY gun, and this gun had some interesting stock work making comfy aiming a bit odd, but we could hit a 2 Liter Soda bottle danglin from a branch over & over again w/out issue out to 50FT, no problem.

It was accurate, reliable, easy to load, and with a nylon side-saddle of 6 extra shells installed, a formidable solution to a home-defense situation. What's better, my wife CANNOT comfortably use my Winchester Tacti-Cool 12ga, cause of its LOP and over size.

She CAN easily employ the SxS's.

R/S in CT

17. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sep 30, 2006
    I have one and a 870. The 870 is in the HD shotgun, the Dbl is ok for some member of the family who just doesn't want to shoot but it has an easier manual of arms.

18. paperairplane

paperairplane

Oct 5, 2008
    I would absolutely use a double as an HD weapon. Short, simple, reliable.

I guess none of you have ever caught a finger in an 870 during reload... maybe I'm just clumsy.

19. Dusty45

Dusty45

Oct 15, 2006
    Orange Co, Calif.
    But you miss the beauty of the side-by-side: if you only have one shot, give the bad guy BOTH BARRELS at once!!!