close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Stock 9mm FMJ or 9mm JHP?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by coleslaw, May 22, 2012.

1. coleslaw

coleslaw

Jun 14, 2011
    I assume you guys have seen this question before but I'd appreciate any advice.

I sold all my .40's and .45's and am very happy to be the owner of two high quality 9mm pistols. I cant tell you how happy I am to consolidate, maybe it's due to my OCD. :dunno:

I'm just about done with my weapon prep for SHTF and I'm curious about stocking up on 500 rounds of 9mm FMJ or JHP? When I owned a .45 this decision was very easy, I would just go with the .45 FMJ... Not starting a caliber war it's just my personal opinion that a .45 FMJ is still a round that can deliver a hell of a punch and it's my belief that the 9mm FMJ is lacking a little.

My aim with my weapon prep is not to have the hottest +p+ devastating load in my handgun. It's just to be able to stop a small game animal or hopefully a bigger threatening animal such as a dog or coyote and God forbid I run into bad guys but incase I do I would like to be able to end the fight quickly... (That's saying if the SHTF so bad in my area and America that I would have to use a firearm on another person. This is the absolute last thing I want to do, I pretty much plan on being invisible and running from as many threats as I can... but as I prep I am realizing that prepping and self defense go hand in hand so I'd like to be prepared)

Thanks for your advice, and if you're wondering what my carry load is now and why don't I just stock up on that... it's because my carry load is Corbon DPX 115 grain, and that stuff is expensive. Whatever I decide it will be coming from SGammo.com, they seem to have the best prices on bulk ammo but their selection is limited.

2. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Aug 8, 2004
    Maine
    I think you answered your own question.

3. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    A lot of times, the old federal 9bp load can be had for not much more than fmj stuff. It's a 115 jhp that's not uber-new or uber-hot, but it's got a pretty good - and very long-term - track record of good performance. If I were stuck with standard-pressure stuff, this load would be on my short list of choices.

Loads I'd recommend against, or at least make my last choice, would be normal fmj, especially hot 124 NATO style fmj. Something that's better than fmj but potentially cheaper to stock up on than jhp, would be a truncated-cone style bullet. Winchester makes these in their USA line at 115 grain (or at least used to), and federal makes an american eagle 147 truncated cone load. They tend to give better penetration than a jhp while giving better 'thump' & less wasted energy than normal fmj loads.

Fwiw, I'm also a former long-time .45 guy, turned 9mm user and agree with you on the issue of .45fmj vs 9mm fmj. If I just "had" to use fmj, I'd still be a .45 guy; but as long as I can pick my own loading, I'm content with most any caliber from a .38spl on up nowadays. There's some really good stuff available out there now and the differences between calibers is a lot narrower now than it used to be.

4. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

Jan 29, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    All FMJs are lacking a little in everything except reliability and penetration.

5. Nine Shooter

Nine Shooter Average Guy

Apr 25, 2008
    I'm in the process of consolidating my handgun calibers to 9mm.

I stock all FMJ. I will end up getting a few boxes of HP for carry ammo. FMJ penetrates better and should cycle through every handgun without issue.

6. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Just caught your "SGAmmo" reference and looked at their page. They do offer the 9BP, for $154.50 per 500; just $30-$40 more than an equal quantity of fmj stuff, and a whole world different in performance imo.

7. sebecman

sebecman

Jun 13, 2008
    Maine
    I tried that round and it would not cycle in my G26, the flat tip just seemed to bottom out against the feed ramp.

Anyone else ever seen this?

8. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

Sep 20, 2004
    FEMA REGION III
    No, but id check to see if you have the latest magazine follower.

I stock mostly fmj. It will do the job if its bad enough I burn through my jhp stock.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Aug 8, 2004
    Maine
    Nope, I have a G26 myself and it worked fine for me.

10. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Feb 20, 1999
    Florida
    For what it's worth, I'll add my 2 cents here (so I don't have to cut n paste the whole thing;

Definitive Guide to Handgunning

It's in the Emergency Preparedness and Survival section.

11. wjv

wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
    - Why did you choose 9mm instead of .40 or .45? If I was doing it all over again I'd consolidate around a caliber that starts with a "4".

- Why are you limited to 500 rounds? Buy 500 FMJ AND 500 of HP. . And then buy 2,000 more rounds. .

Last time I checked I had ~3500 round of just 9mm. .

12. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Aug 8, 2004
    Maine
    I don't personally have any issue with 9mm ( I have consolidated down to 9mm and .45 myself). 9mm will do the job if you get good placement with a reliable round.

What I don't understand is that the OP stated that he was trying to decide between FMJ and HP and in the next breath states that he doesn't feel that FMJ can get the job done.

13. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    FMJ rounds have done the job just fine more than 100 years. I practice with and carry quality FMJ in my SD weapon. I know that I am in the minority on this choice but I am just not into the "flavor of the month" movement in regards to ammo.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  14. I buy the 100 round box of UMC 115 grain hp's at mallmart for $24. Only $4 more than the fmj's. To me these work great for hoarding without breaking the bank. I use HST 147 grain +p for carry. I don't have much fmj.

15. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

Sep 20, 2004
    FEMA REGION III
    I really feel you aren't making the best choice here, and I would strongly suggest researching ballistics. Why handicap yourself? There is a reason why professionals carry high quality hollow points given the choice.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. sebecman

sebecman

Jun 13, 2008
    Maine
    funny thing is they work fine in my G17 but if I pop a 17 mag in my 26 they no worky...must be the feed ramp?? dunno :dunno:

Not that big a deal, I use good HP for SD and 115 gr FMJ for target shooting anyway.

17. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    Polish your feed ramp and chamber and radius the area where the ramp transitions to the chamber. Also radius and deburr the bottom edge of your extractor. That should clear up any feeding problems.

18. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    I'd wonder about the follower as well. I've had problems with the old federal hi-shok 147 grain jhp, when using the old-style (weird-follower) magazines, but no problems with other magazines or other loads; just that load in that style magazine.

This is 147 FMJ-FP my most-used 147 grain load for the past 10-12 months or so, ever since I had a 147 jhp perform poorly on a feral animal. I don't shoot a ton of it; maybe a couple cases so far, but never had a problem with it in any of five glocks, one old S&W 5906, and a camp-9 carbine.

That said, it's not my most-used 9mm load, just my most-used 147-grain (ie, subsonic) load; used most when we're playing with a suppressor. For me personally, a heavy-bullet load like that wouldn't be my first choice for 9mm defensive use.

19. IV Troop

IV Troop

Jun 19, 2004
    I would pick up and keep on hand at least 500 rounds of quality JHPs. After that I would work on stocking up on practice ammo. Pick up a case, shoot half, pick up another case,shoot half, etc, until you have what you need and are well practiced. Then keep shooting.

20. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    For SHTF stockpile ammo, I almost always just go with the cheapest and most reliable ammo I can find. That tends to be FMJ. A gun loaded with FMJ is infinitely more effective than a gun loaded with nothing.

I have a good stock of JHP's, but that is just a side effect of training with and carrying good CCW loads. Not as much as I have FMJ though.