close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

STILL have Windoze update error! Argh!!!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by betyourlife, May 20, 2009.

1. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

May 10, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Even Microsoft can't seem to fix this! Their tech support for Vista escalates me from one person to another, each one more useless than the one before.

I was going to re-image this thing, but decided to give it another shot since I don't want to have to go through the hassle of reloading all my drivers for my peripherals.

I am using Vista Ultimate 64bit

Windows update gives me an error code 80070424 when I try to update manually. The only updates in my history that actually occur automatically are Windows Defender updates.

I copied the below text from a post in a tech forum, but it is my exact situation:

2. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

Dec 23, 2004
    Chandler, AZ
    Have you tried booting into safe mode and renaming the "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" folder? This will cause Windows Updates to regenerate the folder.

3. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

May 10, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, I did it through the command prompt window. I also renamed my rootcat (or was it catroot?) folder as well. That was a week ago, and I did it several times, no luck.

4. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

May 10, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Oh, I can't even start windows in safe mode. My logitech wireless keyboard function keys don't work unless I install the drivers, which I can't install on 64 bit Vista :upeyes:

5. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

Dec 23, 2004
    Chandler, AZ
    Have you tried all of these steps in order and at the same time?

I've used a program called Dial-a-Fix to rebuild Windows Update in XP, not sure if it works in Vista.

6. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

May 10, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    gokdesigns,

Yes, I have tried that and seemingly every other method I could find on the internet.

When I try to rename the catroot folder, it tells me that a duplicate file exists or the file doesn't exist.

When I try oldercatroot2 it tells me access is denied. If I go back to just oldcatroot2 it starts to tell me access is denied for that too, even though I am in admin mode.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  7. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

May 10, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks, but that was the very first thread I looked at when I first started trying to fix this problem.

I have googled this thing to death, and even Microsoft Tech Support is baffled. Not one of their fixes has worked. They just keep escalating me to more and more advanced support people.

8. KharToon

KharToon

Nov 2, 2007
    have you tried resetting the http proxy using netsh winhttp resetproxy via the command line? Give it a shot, it fixed my update errors. Open a command prompt and type: "netsh" hit enter
    type: "winhttp" hit enter
    type: "reset proxy" hit enter.

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  9. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

May 10, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    No I did not try that. I did a clean install of Vista Ultimate this morning and that cured the problem. I had 100 updates totalling 1gb waiting for me. :wow:

It was actually easier to just do that to begin with. I spent too much time on this error. In fact I was able to install not only Windows but also Linux in a fraction of the time I spent on this stupid error.

It was a good thing anyways, I think I am going to do a clean install every year from now on on all my computers. I would have been due for that on this machine with that policy anyways.

10. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

Feb 8, 2007
    Texas
    This isn't the answer to your problem but it would help to find or buy a cheap wired keyboard to use when troubleshooting.